Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

KJHC
Beginner April 2016

Save the Dates for day and evening guests

KJHC, 28 of July of 2015 at 15:03 Posted on Planning 0 6

So, I have a guest list ready which is made up of day and evening guests and we've picked our save the date cards. Only thing is, we're not sure whether a fair few of the people on our day list will be able to make it, so we're likely to bump up a couple of evening guests. So, my initial idea of sending 'save the date' and 'save the evening' invitations won't quite work! And there are a few people I work with on our team who are down as day guests already, but others are down as evening but likely to be bumped up. Argh!

I was thinking of adding "Formal day and evening invitations to follow' to give us a bit of leeway

Has anyone done this before?

6 replies

Latest activity by NoMoore, 29 of July of 2015 at 10:51
  • R
    Beginner December 2015
    RomanticEmeralds ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we had a similar dilemma. In the end we only sent save the date cards to the people we definitely want to invite to the day time. Not everyone sends out save the date cards so we are hoping that any guests who get `bumped up` will just assume we didn't send any. But it is a bit of a minefield! Similarly with the formal invites - the RSVP date is only a month before the wedding but we are hoping that if we include reply cards with the invitation that people will reply quickly, giving us an idea of how many spaces we have available and giving us time to send day invitations to some of the evening guests without making it look like they are only getting asked to boost numbers

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

I would just send save the dates to the definite day guests. Too complicated otherwise! We got an invitation to a wedding that we hadn't had a save the date for, and the RSVP deadline was about three days away, so we'd obviously been bumped up either from evening only or from non-attendee!

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

I sent save the day and save the evening... and formal invitation to follow on the bottom of both.

we have a minimum of 100 adult places to pay for, so if any of our day guests drop out we will bump some of our evening guests. They don't need to know it's a possibility... just invite them as you plan to and then speak to them individually if you end up wanting to bump them to the whole day.

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

At the end of the day, it's a privilege to be invited as either day or evening guests. Everyone understands numbers are tight, and I'm sure would be delighted to be 'bumped'. Just explain that you are really tight on numbers and budgets but you have figured out a way to include them during the day after all and would be pleased if they were able to make it to the day. Same thing happened to us last year and people do understand.

Don't overcomplicate matters, there is enough stress and stuff to sort out ?

• KJHC
    Beginner April 2016
    KJHC ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! Always good to get a bit of persepctive (I have a habit of over thinking things!)

Have decided to just send to day guests (who knows, those who know for definite they can't come might let us know soon) and bump up evening guests if necessary later. Will also send out invitations a 6-8 weeks in advance (if that's normal) to allow for any shuffling as there are so many who may not be able to come!

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

I sent two types because we are getting married in Scotland but live in Essex. So I didn't want anyone booking their flights and hotels thinking they were invited to the day when they were evening guests. At least if they know then it's up to them to make the decision whether to book flights or not.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics