Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sweetlikechocolate
Dedicated May 2016

Save the dates - is 2 years too soon to send? (with sneaky flash)

sweetlikechocolate, 23 of April of 2014 at 12:32 Posted on Planning 1 11

My save the dates arrived today (they are plain black and white chalkboard style magnets like the below - I picked them as dont want to give away anything about colours etc yet) and I am sooooooo excited I want to send them out right away. But our wedding is not until May 2016. Is 2 years too soon? Also, I know from other threads that you are not meant to send save the dates to evening only guests, but this wo4ries me a little as some evening people may then speak to people who got save the dates and think they are not invited it all. Its all such a minefield!

11 replies

Latest activity by laurafish, 24 of April of 2014 at 09:22
  • A
    Beginner February 2015
    auntiejo1 ·
    • Hide content

2 years is waaaay too early - ours is Feb next year and we have only just sent the last of ours out. A lot of the posters on here will say a year in advance is sufficient. We also only sent them to the day guests, if you send them to evening guests aswell, a lot of them will presume its for the whole day so by not sending them to evening guests may save a bit of embarrassment later on

You might be excited, but no one else will give a flying monkeys unfortunately :o)

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

They're lovely!

I honestly think 2 years is too soon to send them. We didn't have them but I think the norm is about the 12 months mark with official invites between 4-6months. With regards to the evening guests, could you not get slightly different ones? Save the evening perhaps?

• sweetlikechocolate
    Dedicated May 2016
    sweetlikechocolate ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both for the advice. In my head I knew it was too early but needed someone to talk some sense into me lol

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

I sent mine a year in advance and only to day guests! I think it'd be more annoying as an evening guest to assume you were invited to the whole day, book it off work to then find out it's only the evening?

I know the feeling though - we booked our wedding in March 2012 and was dying to send them out! ?

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Any time after January 2015 will be fine I think. I'd say May 2015 if it was paper, but I'd happily pop a magnet one on the fridge a little sooner, as it's so easy to keep it safe!

I wouldn't send a Save the Date to evening people either, unless it specifically said "the evening of......". I didn't use Save the Dates, but I think it's normal etiquette to not send them for evening invites. If I received a Save the Date, I'd assume it was for the whole day, and if I later got only an evening invite it might annoy me, just because it dashed my expectations and made me feel like I'd been demoted.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

Personally I wouldn't send them so early, for reasons others have said. But the main reason I wanted to reply is to say I love your save the dates!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Definitely too early to send, there's a good chance i'd forget about a wedding within two years ?

And I'd say don't send to evening guests, a save the date means exactly saving the date..i'd be pissed off taking a day off work, buying an outfit etc to then receive an evening invitation.

They're very nice tho!

• MrsScott2be2018
    Beginner September 2018
    MrsScott2be2018 ·
    • Hide content

I am in the same boat, our wedding is 30th July 2016. I designed our wedding stationary and we are having save the date magnets. We have been advised to send them out no sooner than 12 months before. It's such an exciting time but our time will come.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

This is actually a very good point. There will totally be a small number of people on your guest list right now who suddenly realise in 12 months time that you haven't spoken to them or seen them once. In which case, cross them off the list (unless it's a certain relative / long distance friend who you don't expect to see that frequently, of course).

I would love to have had a few months gap between drawing up the list, and reviewing it to check I was really certain about it. Unfortunately OH put 6 people on the guest list who I was very uncertain about. If we'd have had more time and thought about it more, they wouldn't have been there, as I think I would have had more time to convince myself that I was right, and thereafter talked some sense into him! Interestingly, whilst all 6 initially accepted the invite, 3 of the 6 have now dropped out, which says a lot about my doubts in the first place.

Review your guest list in 6 months time, and again just before sending them out. You'll be surprised at the changes you make!

• sweetlikechocolate
    Dedicated May 2016
    sweetlikechocolate ·
    • Hide content

All very helpful advice. So glad I joined hitched x

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Another one agreeing with this, a good point which I hadn't thought of. I'm also getting married in 2016 but got engaged late 2012 so have had a long time thinking about who to invite. A lot of people are constants but there are also quite a few people from this time last year who I was sure I'd invite, and now definitely don't want there, and vice versa. I'm sure this will change again in the next year or so.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics