Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mustard_mitt
Beginner September 2015

Save the dates - send to all guests or just ceremony guests?

mustard_mitt, 10 of May of 2014 at 16:18 Posted on Planning 0 8

We're just in the final steps of arranging our date & venue and I have some save the date cards lined up to send as soon as we know the date.

I was planning to send these to everybody we're inviting regardless of whether they are a ceremony or reception guest but a friend has told me I should send them to day guests only because (apparently) "it could disappoint if people are expecting a ceremony invitation only to end up getting a reception invite".

I've had Save The Dates for just the evening reception before so to be honest just thought you sent them to everyone.

Can anyone shed any light on what the official line is for Save The Dates? Everyone or ceremony guests only?

8 replies

Latest activity by mustard_mitt, 11 of May of 2014 at 19:13
  • missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content

I only sent mine to guests invited to the ceremony. If I was sent a saved the date card, unless it explicitly note that I will be invited to the evening reception, I would without a shadow of doubt assume that I am invited to the day. Hence I would be disappointed.

So I advise to send them out to ceremony guests only or also send out 'Save the evening' cards to evening guests.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

I'd say full day guests only.

I learnt the hard way!

Gave STD's to every guest as it's the school holidays and many of our friends have kids like ourselves and most people book holidays that time of year. OH was at work and one of the office girls ( who I'm friendly with) said 'oh I can't wait to see ( our daughter) in her dress walking down the aisle' my OH had to inform her she's an evening guest so she showed him the STD an he had to inform her that was to hold the date and not an invite.

Definatly learnt the hard way!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Deffo only send to the day guests for the reasons outlined above. If you've had them as an evening guest before - then that's not the norm and it can cause problems down the line. x

• FS84
    Beginner March 2015
    FS84 ·
    • Hide content

We didn't think twice about this and sent them to everyone. I'm worried now!! ?

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

As the others have said, you only send them to people who are invited to the wedding ceremony & wedding breakfast.

If you send them to evening guests they will expect a full wedding invite!

• Jens Hand Crafted Stationery
    Jens Hand Crafted Stationery ·
    • Hide content

Most couples I deal with, tend to send save the dares to those who are invited to the whole day.

If you wanted to send them to evening guests also, I would send 'save the night' ones.

xx

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Im going to do one for each diff type of guest. We have friends who talk to each other and family, so if one got a save the date and the other one didnt, they would assume they r not invited, which will upset them! Screw that everyone is getting one haha!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

Save the night sounds a good idea. I'll have to see if we can get our type of cards as 'Save The Night' but I don't think they do them....

Those people who sent me save the dates for just the reception will get a 'save the date' though, because clearly they think that everyone should get one regardless and I don't want to offend them by thinking they're not invited!

Thanks for all the comments - guess my friend was right after all! (She will be pleased!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics