Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Sayings/things you didnt realise you had got wrong

12 July, 2011 at 12:18 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 36

I am terrible for this and am always getting song lyrics wrong but not realising.

Last night, after many many years of hearing the saying I finally worked out that the phrase

'well, if the CAP fits' used the word CAP and not CAT as I though. I always did wonder why a cat would fit someone!

36 replies

Latest activity by Panjita, 12 July, 2011 at 16:14
  • Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine thought the saying "make ends meet" was "make hens meat". He knew it was something to do with being poor and thought it was to do with not being able to afford chicken!?

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

For a while I always thought it was 'swings in roundabouts' rather than 'swings and roundabouts'. The former always made more sense to me than the correct saying!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know this saying and I know when to use it but I don't understand why we say swings and roundabouts..? Am I being thick?

SCRAP THAT - Just looked it up and I get it now. I have always thought of it in the context of a kids park rather than a fairground.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

When my brother was much younger (aged 7 ish) he used to use the term "Spick and spam" and didn't understand it was Span.

My ex used to always get one saying wrong too, and it used to drive me mad, but can't remember what it was now!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

You see, I always though it was: It 'swings in roundabouts' as in, you win some you lose some.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I love the whole getting lyrics wrong thing. My brother asked my mum what an Emulsha Cup was (he was well in his 20's) and she said she hadn't a clue, where had he heard it? And he said it was an Elvis song (I'm all shook up). We have took the p!$$ out of him for years!

Has anyone seen the latest Peter Kay tour? He does loads of these (I'm begging you for Birdseed)

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I saw PK @ the LG Arena. Hilarious. I thought the RHCP song was "fly away on my zebra" not zephyr. Not really a saying, I know.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great thread Claire!

RB- I did too (until a few months ago in fact) and I agree, our way makes much more sense.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

The lyrics to Summertime...

In my head... "summer summer summertime, time to drink black indian wine"

Actual words... "summer, summer, summertime, time to sit back and unwind"

I have absolutely no idea why... it just got in my head and stayed there.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

There's a website re wrong lyrics - kissthisguy I'm pretty sure it's called

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

In the song, "love in the 3rd degree", my friend thought that the line was, "guilty, guilty as a gulkipede", when it is "guilty as a girl can be".

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad it's not just me!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

? I hope your Dad brings this up in his speech at your wedding!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

It annoys me when people say 'play it by hear / here' its play it by EAR.

And my friend used to sing 'all you need is Parsnip Tea' instead of 'All you need is positivity' to a well known spice girls song!

My OH thought that the enemy sang 'dont need your cabernica' instead of company car hahaha - whenever it comes on we both sing Cabernica now haha

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

I NEED to know this story

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

My hubby to be is a massive U2 fan and I knew alot of there classics well I thought I did, for months I used to scream out to I still havnt found what Im looking for... "these silly walls" its actually these city walls, H2B didnt tell me for months and found it hilarious every time!

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha ha, just been laughing at these and remembered one my hubby was singing... "Criticise muthaf*cka... lets go". Until I told him it was Riverside not Criticise.

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

Claire ha ha ha ha ewwwwwwww!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure it's not gone unnoticed that pointing out errors in words/grammar/phraseology pleases me greatly - it's all a learning curve and, as I welcome feedback on my mistakes, so you should for yours... Smiley winking I am surpassed in my endeavour to be an official part of the grammar police by boy, who is sarcasm incarnate when he identifies a slip of the tongue, pen or keyboard.

Imagine my delight, one day, when he posted a Facebook status saying he was "As happy as a monkey with a miniature symbol" (lyrics from Over And Over by Hot Chip). I queried (via the public medium of his wall, of course) whether he meant "As happy as a monkey with a miniature cymbal", as that line would make more sense as a reference to a common childhood toy rather than the somewhat unknown phenomenon of small primates being unaccountably delighted by runes.

He actually tried to argue it.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

he he he he he he, that is so funny. Your friend has obviously never seen one of those monkeys, you should have posted a picture of one and tagged him in. Minature symbol indeed! Love it.

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

My mum thought that Lady Gaga was singing 'bubblewrap me' instead of 'paparazzi'. I couldn't breathe when she told me that!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Claire this is one of the best things I've ever heard.

When I was about 7 I used to think that Michael Jackson was singing 'Do you want some gateaux' rather than 'Dirty Diana'. It doesn't even sound the same.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I used to be a DJ when I worked in Greece and this girl once asked me for "I'm covered in flour". I hadn't got a clue what she meant but eventually she said it was French and just sounded like "I'm covered in flour" - Encore une fois?? Seriously!?

Another one was a song from the 90's (I forget the title) and the lyrics were "these sounds fall into my mind" and my mate used to sing "peas, pie, pudding on my mind"

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Clurr, that made me a little ?

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

So we're sitting in my exes front room, listening to music and chatting. we have some friends around and one of them suddenly shouts 'oh I love this song!' He's wearing an AC/DC tshirt and claims to be a massive fan (knows all the lyrics to ALL their songs..) Can you imagine the effort it took me not to wet myself with laughter when he starts singing 'Dirty Deeds.. Dun Der Chee' - he didn't actually get many of the lyrics right at all and I don't claim to be any sort of expert on the subject

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Clurr you disgust me, but that was vay funny!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we used to sing, "peas, pies, pudding chips and gray-ay-avy"

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

[View:http://youtu.be/h_JZdMxgNHo:550:0] <---- chips and gravy song ?..

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha that's the one.

KV - can't believe you used to sing that too.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

I thought we were supposed to say 'Trickle Treat' at halloween until I was 12. Couldn't understand when people used to say trick so I just smiled at them until I got sweets.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? I actually have tears rolling down my face as I picture 2 little girls doing such a routine! Did your parents manage to keep a straight face?!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics