Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hoddy
Beginner July 2014

Scratchcards and lottery

Hoddy, 24 of August of 2013 at 07:34 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 15

Do you buy scratch cards and lottery tickets?

I occasionally buy a lottery ticket but always a lucky dip. I'm don't want to choose 'special' numbers because my Mum has done that and is now too scared to miss a week in case her numbers come up! It's part of her weekly routine to get her lottery tickets.

I've never won big on either. My mum got £50 on a scratchie once but again she buys a lot of them!

15 replies

Latest activity by Helenia, 24 of August of 2013 at 23:28
  • HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I don't. H does a syndicate at work and when he used to live at his parents his mum used to get tickets for him and his aunt. She still gets his numbers 6 years on (he doesn't have them anymore, they're her tickets) as she can't risk not getting the numbers. She spends £20 a week on lottery.

When I used to work in a shop I would see people coming in to collect their winnings and would often buy the odd ticket if I had a spare point but I've not bought one for years. I do know somebody that won 100,000k from a scratch card, that tempted me for a while!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Never bought a scratchcard, and I don't play the lottery.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I very occasionally buy a scratch card but it tends to be that something has made me want to buy one like trying to un-do some bad luck I've had!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha, this is me too ?

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

The lottery is a tax on idiots.

I buy 5 lucky dips every week. The most I have won is £72.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I think I've bought 2 lottery tickets in my life and I've never bought a scratchcard.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I've heard that before! But you've got to be in it to win it Smiley winking

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Guy at work calls it 'Poor man's tax'.

Obviously I'm way too shrewd to play. I'll just help hubby spend his winnings when they come. He says it won't be long now....

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

I've never had either, tickets or scratch cards. Just doesn't interest me.

H used to do the lottery occasionally, I don't think he bothers anymore though.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I play the same numbers on Euromillions every week (play online) and usually play a couple of instant wins too per month (online scratch card equivalent) whenever there is a big roll over we also do an informal whip round at work.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I'm in a syndicate at work but we've stopped playing the normal lottery as we were winning nothing and we've started playing the Irish lottery. You sometimes only get 33p or something but we got £115 or something for three numbers. We've had £150 in less than three months.

I don't buy scratch cards apart from when my mum and i are out in Edinburgh. We will split a £5 one. There is a shop in Edinburgh and we have won every single time. Sometimes just the £5 back but we've one £40 and £60 a few times.

H buys a lottery ticket when it's a massive rollover.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I last won the national lottery back in '98 and got £94- not won nothing after so I stopped, did irish lottery at work and won £50 (in syndicate) and got nothing after so I have stopped doing that, have won zilch on scratchcards.. now I only do bonus ball at work.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We don't get scratch cards but we get the odd lucky dip on a Wednesday & Saturday, sometimes pick our usual numbers and others just random.
    I always say we'll never win but I imagine all those people winning millions don't expect it either, you never know so worth a try. I await patiently for my mansion ?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We are in a syndicate at work. Costs me roughly £120 a year and we spend our winnings on Christmas lunch, usually there's around £20 each in the kitty so effectively I spend £100 a year on the lottery. It's worth it for the team camaraderie, as every week we fantasise together about winning. I really enjoy my dreams of winning the lottery, in a way I couldn't if. I didn't actually play. Now I'm on maternity leave I've decided to stay in the syndicate in case they win while I'm off work!!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I have 1 ticket that I buy online by standing order a work colleague won the jackpot some years ago

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

H buys Euromillions tickets online if there's a big jackpot coming up. I don't think I've ever bought a scratchcard.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics