Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

(Claire)
Beginner July 2011

Scruffy Tea

(Claire), 1 November, 2012 at 15:58 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 31

H and I use this term when we are a bit poor, or havn't had time to go shopping, Scruffy Tea consists of either, Tuna pasta bake or a frozen pizza. What's your Scruffy Tea?

31 replies

Latest activity by Chedi, 1 November, 2012 at 22:04
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats a normal tea ?

Scruffy tea for me is something like tortelini with chopped tin toms or really scruffy tea will be sausages or baked beans on toast!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

We have a thing called school dinners tea where as a treat we will make turkey drummers, sketty and smiley faces!

Scruffy tea in our house is usually somethig sausage based as there is usually some of them lurking in the bottom of the meat draw in the freezer.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Cheesy pasta, or generally pasta with anything left in the fridge.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

We call it kids tea...and it some burgers or something left over from a bbq, beans and chips (wedges, smiley faces, whatever potato based item int he cupboard!)

Pasta bake is a normal tea and is fab!!

• ladyzoot
    Beginner August 2012
    ladyzoot ·
    • Hide content

Fish fingers, oven chips and frozen peas and sweetcorn - the sort of tea you used to have as a kid ?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

haha hence us naming it 'kids tea'!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? Nice to know we are not the only ones to have a school dinners/kids tea.

• Hollies
    Beginner December 2018
    Hollies ·
    • Hide content

We have kids tea! Usually chicken dippers, smiley faces and beans.

When OH goes out and I'm eating alone I always have egg and chips, he calls that scruffy tea

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Pasta bake is blinkin' posh cooking for me!

We buy those spinach and ricotto tortellini jobbies that take 2 mins to cook and make a sauce from a fried onion and a tin of tomatoes. That is called quick pasta" and is for those days when it is all too much. (I buy the ones that re 99p a packet too, so jolly cheap)

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't get me wrong I love pasta bake, but the pasta bake we do for Scruffy Tea, is nothing more than pasta, tuna, a bit of cheese sauce because we never have enough cheese and then a tiny bit more cheese sprinkled on top. It's always dry, we don't really enjoy it but it's a meal.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

With it just being me and H we NEVER by anything frozen such as fish fingers, burgers, chicken dippers, I would love that type of tea but H wouldn't allow it he's a massive food snob!

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Pasta, pesto and cheese.

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yep thats ours! I actually really like it should do it as non scruffy tea

or beans on toast or egg on toast

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

We call it a quicky tea and its usually just for H when I'm poorly and its a piece of meat (gammon steak, pork chop, pork steak) he can throw on the george foreman, oven chips and frozen peas with instant gravy.

My quicky tea is beans on toast or a "packed lunch tea" a sandwich, banana, yoghurt and crisps! With a carton of juice on the side. Yes I am 33!

• ladyzoot
    Beginner August 2012
    ladyzoot ·
    • Hide content

How about your "Can't be arsed tea"? - mine would be a bowl of cereal.... maybe toast and marmite if I can find the energy

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Popcorn chicken, Mash potato and baked beans all mixed together in a bowl with cheese on top. Ultimate comfort food and proper cheapy cheap, almost free.

• KittenCake
    Beginner May 2013
    KittenCake ·
    • Hide content

^

This. I love that kind of food but my OH won't touch it. He always cooks pasta bianco for our scruffy tea (just pasta with olive oil, cheese, salt, pepper and a few herbs). Probably just as bad for us as if we had fish fingers and chips but because it sounds posh its o.k in his book.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Pasta and Pesto or eggs on toast. We call it "poor tea"

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Who hearted the thread ?

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Yours sounds better than mine! We sometimes have what you have on a Sunday! Thats a picnic tea!! With hoummous and pate and stuff mmmmmmmm

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was just thinking that Flowella. When are these beasts effing the hell off anyway?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Pasta and some sort of sauce from a jar. Or burgers in buns, which we always have in the freezer. Quite often though, if we don't have any food in, we'll get takeaway.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I had pasta bake for dinner and it was delish!

I love the term "Breadcrumbs Buffet", that's normally what we have. Whatever frozen breaded stuff is left in the freezer with wedges and baked beans if we have any in the cupboard.

I once worked in an office where every now and then they would have a "dirty lunch" and order in pizza or some other greasy food. OH also uses this phrase so I'm guessing it's pretty common and it was just me that had never heard it before.

• Nicola_84uk
    Beginner October 2013
    Nicola_84uk ·
    • Hide content

My scruffy tea would be egg and chips with a round of bread. We always refer to it as scruffy/poor mans tea, however it always tastes bloomin good!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we call this beige food.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was just thinking this...an average rating for average food! fair comment I guess! ?

• M
    Beginner January 2007
    mrslf ·
    • Hide content

Chicken fingers/dippers with oven chips, the type of tea you used to have as a kid.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Pasta with homemade tomato based sauce made with tinned toms, tom puree, onion, chilli and whatever else is lurking in the fridge (maybe peppers, olives, mushrooms etc etc). Sprinkled with cheese if there is any, but usually if we're down to that, there isn't! Or jacket potatoes with something lurking in the fridge.

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

Oh its a good day if theres potato or meat based items in the freezer!

Our poor tea if we want hot consists of spagetti and butter.. if we're lucky we might have left over cheese. For cold and/or quick, theres usually cereal in the cupboard.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics