Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner August 2014

'Sea' wedding

KB-123, 4 of August of 2013 at 16:24 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi ladies

I really want to get married abroad for a number of reasons; the weather, the fact it lasts longer than 1 day, it's cheaper, we wouldn't have to invite as many guests (I have a big family), but also because I want to get married by or near the sea. We lost our daughter 4 years ago and spread her ashes in the sea at Filey so wherever we are in the world we feel close to her by the sea. BUT... OH doesn't want to go abroad as his grandparents wouldn't come and he wants them at the wedding, so I'm back to square one!

Theres a nice hotel in Scarborough we go to every year after visiting Filey on our daughters birthday and I wouldn't mind getting married there but there's no sea view from the room. I was thinking of maybe hiring some busses to take everybody down to the sea front after the ceremony to throw a flower in the sea (something we do every year) but its not really ideal as its messing everybody around after the ceremony and won't be nice if it raining (no date set yet).

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions on venues of what I can do? We live in West Yorkshire so it's already a bit of a trek for guests to go to Scarborough (about 1hr 30).

thankyou in advance Smiley smile

17 replies

Latest activity by Trish2014, 5 of August of 2013 at 21:50
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. I can see why it's so important for you to be near the sea, marking this occasion.

I can't suggest a venue, sorry. But I don't think a 1.5 hour trek to Scarborough, where there is plenty of accommodation so people can stay, should be too much of an issue? Also, you don't necessarily need EVERYONE to go down tot he seafront with you after the ceremony. Perhaps it's something you and your new husband might appreciate being alone for?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

A thought - is it possible to get married on a boat in this country? If not, could you do an official register office quickly in the morning, then have a big boat trip with a second ceremony (maybe led by a friend or celebrant)? Having said that, you could always have a beach ceremony after the official legal stuff....

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We are getting married at Swell Café in Robin Hood's Bay near Whitby...

http://www.swellcafe.co.uk/wedding-venue.html

Probably no nearer to you but in the same general area as Scarborough and I personally think it is a gorgeous venue, plus it is right on the sea front with beautiful sea views ;-) Might be worth considering?

Max capacity is 50 guests though so depends how big a wedding you are planning.

• Dreamysmiles
    Beginner October 2013
    Dreamysmiles ·
    • Hide content

An ex colleague wanted to go abroad but her new in laws didn't want to fly, so they compromised and went to jersey. That way she had the weather and distance but her inlays could drive and get ferry. Is that an option for you?

• ~
    Beginner May 2014
    ~LiveWire~ ·
    • Hide content

Hi I'm from Scarborough and also getting married in Scarborough, There are many locations to get married and I appreciate why you would like to marry in Filey and I am sorry for your loss. Why not get married at the Spa in Scarborough? literally straight out on the Sea. There is the Crown, The ambassador or The Esplande as someone else has mentioned The guests that matter will know what it means to you and will want to join you. Or in Filey I don't know if they are by-the-sea The White Lodge. what ever you do stay away from the Grand or the Royal and the Clifton all have very bad reputations and understandably. Hope this helps if you want any information regarding the ones in s'boro just let me know as I have being to look round them all for myself lol. xxx

• ~Curley~
    Beginner August 2014
    ~Curley~ ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

You can get married on Bouremouth Beach....think its the only actual beach you can marry on in England. We did look into it ourselves as we originally wanted to go abroad.

xxx

• K
    Beginner August 2014
    KB-123 ·
    • Hide content

I've just had a look at this and it looks amazing but too small unfortunately Smiley sad we'll probably be having about 80- 100 to day and another 30 to evening x

• K
    Beginner August 2014
    KB-123 ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately not although that would have been a great compromise. OH's grandparents wouldn't be up to the trip, I think 1.5 hrs in car is as much as they could handle! I'm not having much luck ha x

• K
    Beginner August 2014
    KB-123 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

• KB-123
    • Joined on 04-Aug-2013
    • Posts 3

I've just had a look at this and it looks amazing but too small unfortunately Smiley sad we'll probably be having about 80- 100 to day and another 30 to evening x

• Laura DeBourde
    Laura DeBourde ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wouldn't worry about whether it's ideal or not for the guests, and you definitely wouldn't be messing everybody around taking them down to the seafont to throw a flower in the sea. This is very important to you, and your guests should understand that. How far is the beach from the hotel?

I would have suggested the amazing venue, Tunnel Beaches, but it's in Devon, which is obviously a long way from you.

• K
    Beginner August 2014
    KB-123 ·
    • Hide content

I just can't think of any other way of doing it? It would only be a 5 minute journey in the car but would be too far for some guests to walk as there's a LOT of steps to get down to the seafront x

• K
    Beginner August 2014
    KB-123 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You've obviously done your research ha! Which would you recommend out of the Crown Spa and Ambassador? X

• Laura DeBourde
    Laura DeBourde ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In my experience, a lot of people do drive to weddings. Even if some people didn't drive, there would probably be room in other cars for people to jump in and go with them perhaps. If not, then perhaps give them the option to come down to the beach and walk the steps?

• ~
    Beginner May 2014
    ~LiveWire~ ·
    • Hide content

The spa is beautiful however I didn't like how they did the meal felt very squished! but to have you evening do in the lovely grand hall is very beautiful. I personally preferred the Crown, very big and beautiful and a lovely bar the only down sides if children are invited there are no gardens only a sun terrace but are lovely. The Esplanade I felt was my least favorite as the pillars are in strange positions so the top table isn't in the position I would have preferred. The ambassador has a fantastic evening room but felt quite dark during the day. If you have a look at their websites they're some good photos on there. I love the sea but I'm actually having my reception near the national parks, but having photos taken near the sea. Hope this helps xxx

• www.scarboroughspa.co.uk/weddings
    • www.crownspahotel.com/special.../weddings_and_civil_ceremonies.php
    • www.theesplanade.co.uk/weddings
    • www.ambassadorspahotel.co.uk

• K
    Beginner August 2014
    KB-123 ·
    • Hide content

I was thinking of hiring a couple of double decker busses to take everyone there and back so they wouldn't all have to mess about parking up and waiting for everyone to get there at the same time? X

• ~
    Beginner May 2014
    ~LiveWire~ ·
    • Hide content

From the 4 weddings i suggested you wouldn't need to drive you could literally walk. However if you look for further out their is the Downe Arms that do fantastic weddings or Ox pasture or Hackness Grange or Raven Hal. Raven Hall could be a very good one as it looks out over the Robin Hoods Bay/ Ravenscar? just a suggestion xx

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

We went to look at Raven Hall and the position is lovely - right on the cliff with gorgeous views. The ceremony room is lovely, but I was a bit disappointed with the reception room and the common areas as they looked a bit scruffy. Having said that though we did go on a particularly wet and grey day in Jan/Feb so it may look better on a sunny day! The wedding organiser there was really lovely and helpful.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics