Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious June 2023 Worcestershire

Seamstress cost

Sarah, 9 of April of 2022 at 11:50 Posted on Planning 1 1
Wow! Who knew it could be so expensive to have your wedding dress altered?!

I have a beautiful ball gown style dress with multi (different length) layer organza fabric skirt & train. I bought it from Wed2b it was the very last one and a size 12. I am more of an 8 so knew it would need work on the corset part and straps etc. i also knew it was far too long but it never crossed my mind how a skirt like mine would/could be shortened i was just blinded by the beauty 😍
Turns out it gets completely detatched from the bodice & length taken off the top then put back together 😬😬 costing in total £600 which is the same price as the dress cost me! I can see how more stunning the dress will be when it fits properly as currently it just hangs off me & the skirt doesn't sit right but i can't help feel a tad nervous over the amount of work.
I trust the seamstress completely & she has worked on multiple dresses similar style before. I guess without actually being a seamstress it's hard to see how it won't go horribly wrong 😶

1 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 9 of April of 2022 at 18:42
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    Unfortunately this is when buying from Wed2be and off the peg is not as cost effective as going to a boutique and then getting it altered there. It sounds like it needs a lot of work so I guess the price is good for that and the it will take the seamstress many hours. But personally I think I would be frustrated to spend the same again on alterations however if it your dream dress then I understand why. Good luck with the changes!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Alterations can be so expensive, and I found that a lot of shops were infuriatingly vague about how much they would cost. I remember trying on one dress that fit perfectly apart from the skirt-length, and all the boutique would say was 'well, the cost could be anywhere between £50 and £300' - which isn't helpful when the dress is £350 and your max budget, including alterations, is £500!

It's so important to budget alterations into the total cost of your dress. I'm glad the cost is manageable for you, and hope that your post makes future brides take this into consideration when shopping so they don't get caught out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics