Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Danielle
Curious July 2023 Middlesex

Seamstress fitting/alteration costs?

Danielle, 11 of December of 2022 at 19:19 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 10
I’ve just picked up my dress, which is from a bridal outlet so now need to find a seamstress to alter/adjust it. The dress cost £999 and the seamstress I’ve had recommended has said she estimated it will be between £380-460 to do the alterations (she’s seen a photo of the dress at this stage) but am I right in thinking this seems a bit steep? Am going to get some other quotes but wondered how much is usual for simple alterations?

10 replies

Latest activity by Robertclomo, 26 of December of 2022 at 18:53
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

What kind of dress is it and what alterations need to be done? It really depends. If you feel that the quote is too high, it would be worthwhile getting another one for comparison.

• Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    It’s quite lightweight but lacy Seamstress fitting/alteration costs? 1

Seamstress fitting/alteration costs? 2

It only needs taking in and shortening a bit, nothing to be added or anything like that. I’m definitely going to try and get some other quotes just didn’t know what was reasonable to expect. The lady who gave me that ballpark figure said she charges £38 per hour and reckoned it would take about 10 hours…
  • Ellen91
    Dedicated October 2023 West London
    Ellen91 ·
    • Hide content
    If you think it is steep I would recommend taking a look at other seamstresses and getting a quote. I know when I was looking to book one in for my dress I struggled with finding someone with availability so this should also be taken into account.

At first I thought £38 an hour was expensive but then I suppose you take into account the experience of the seamstress, materials she would use, cost of tools, electricity, taxes etc and I think it soon will start to decrease her take home pay per hour. Wishing you all the best x
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s not so much the rate that I find steep, just that the quote was approx 10 hours of work. I don’t really want to spend half the cost of the dress again on alterations so I definitely am going to get other quotes but just wondered if anyone on here had any experience of their own to share… to put the quote into a comparable context
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think the main expense is going to be in having it taken in - a lacy fabric like that is much harder to do than a plain one, because you need to make sure that the pattern doesn't look odd where the seams come. Especially if the waist needs taking in, the seamstress is going to have to make sure that the new seams don't interrupt the line of the pattern from the bodice to the skirt. And with a strapless dress, there will be boning or some kind of structural support inside that may also need altering. So it's not simply a case of running up a couple of new seams. I can see how there could be 10 hours of work in there (and she might have over-estimated to make sure, rather than tell you 8/9 and then bill you for 10) It's always worth getting another quote though - just make sure you find someone who is experienced and has a good reputation - it would be very easy for an inexperienced tailor to ruin your dress.

I had a plain, double-layer skirt in this kind of fabric shortened and it took the seamstress over 2 hours just to run a hem up on so much fabric. I can't give timings for altering the top as mine fitted me.

• Ellen91
    Dedicated October 2023 West London
    Ellen91 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahh yes, I see. My dress needs to be taken in and up. I haven’t yet seen my seamstress so can’t confirm hourly rate and the amount of hours needed but she anticipated £300/£350 for my alterations. I have some lace appliqué that will need to be cut off before alterations then re-attached to the dress once it’s been altered.
  • A
    Curious November 2023 Merseyside
    Ashley ·
    • Hide content
    Firstly what a gorgeous dress! Great choice :-) I’ve been quoted in the region of £300 for alterations for my dress from the boutique I bought it from. I looked at a few other boutiques and asked about alteration pricing - although it depends what needs to be done, pretty much everywhere advised me to budget between £250-£350 for alterations.
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks this is helpful!
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks that is helpful too. Will get another couple of quotes but at least I’ve got some realistic ideas now
  • Samantha
    Beginner June 2023 Leicestershire
    Samantha ·
    • Hide content

I can’t advise on alteration costs as I have yet to get a quote for mine. But I just wanted to say you look absolutely stunning in your dress Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics