Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2013

Searching for wedding venue in North Yorkshire

Leanne Dollive, 2 May, 2012 at 20:18 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi ladies,

I've been looking for a while now for a wedding venue in North Yorkshire and live in York - we are looking at getting married next year, possibly in the summertime (hopefully to get a nice day!). I'm not the most decisive of people and ideas for wedding locations have varied from Italy, Greece, Scotland, Lake District and Yorkshire! I originally suggested going abroad but having been quoted similar prices to that in the UK (and some ridiculous prices for holidays) we are now going to stick with the UK (and have a top notch honeymoon somewhere lush!!).

I've spent hours and days looking at places online, reading reviews, researching the venues etc and we went to see some places this week. We absolutely loved The Black Swan in Helmsley, beautiful place, not so keen on the prices! We also really liked Sandburn Hall just outside of York, but it doesn't have accommodation. We would really like somewhere where we can stay for a couple of nights, have a family get together the night before (everyone is travelling from the four corners of the UK) and make a weekend of it (my fiance's sister did this a couple of years ago at The Coniston Hotel and it was a great weekend). My fiance is also a wedding photographer and there are some places he's shot that are great and some that aren't so great - so we are in a bit of a pickle as have a pretty tight budget (we are also saving for a house deposit too).

I'm going to look at some more places tomorrow with my mum - The Old Lodge in Malton, Simonstone Hall in Hawes, Woodlands Hotel in Leeds, Ox Pasture Hall near Scarborough - has anyone got married at one of these places or been a guest? Or can anyone suggest anywhere else in North Yorkshire or Leeds that has accommodation too so that we can make a weekend of it. We'll probably have around 60 people for the ceremony and reception and so long as the majority can stay with us the night before too then that's fine.

Thanks for your help!

Leanne x

10 replies

Latest activity by BatsGirl, 6 May, 2012 at 12:06
  • B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

Marmadukes Hotel? We're doing all of what you said, pretty much taking over the hotel fot two nights and having a big meal together the night before the wedding with everyone who's travelled.

• Kylie541
    Beginner February 2013
    Kylie541 ·
    • Hide content

Harewood house?

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi Leanne,

We've covered weddings at Ox Pasture Hall & The Black Swan - both are great venues but yes I could imagine that the Black Swan isn't the cheapest of venues! The Black Swan is also close to Rievaulx Abbey (which you no doubt know!), which would be absolutely stunning for your photos. We've done a pre-shoot at Woodlands Hotel and the grounds are nice, but haven't covered a wedding there so not sure what that would be like. Have you looked at The Crab and Lobster near Thirsk?

Alison x

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    loralu ·
    • Hide content

Hi

i'm getting married at the Mallyan Spout in Goathland. It is quite a small hotel but has bedrooms.

the talbot hotel in Malton has just re opened after a refurbishment and they do weddings.

forest and vale in pickering

hope that helps a bit!

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    Leanne Dollive ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies everyone, very helpful of you all! I've been to see quite a few of the ones mentioned and had another drive out today to the Dales, found a great little place near Hawes called Yorebridge Hotel - just need to clarify what the "package" includes as have a funny feeling its nearly £3K just to have the place (and not including any food or rooms) so we'll see!

Pinpin79 - I'm going to go and have a look at Marmadukes tomorrow I think, what is their garden like? They don't have too many photos online so its hard to get a real feel for the place.

What I have found to be great is just going for a drive around the area and getting a feel for places - most places have been really happy to show me around without a prior appointment and then if I like it I can make an appointment to go back and chat with the wedding coordinator.

Thanks again for everyones suggestions and all the best for your upcoming weddings! x

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    Leanne Dollive ·
    • Hide content

Quick reply to Alison - thanks for the info too, my fiance does wedding photography also which makes things tricky as there are loads of places he's shot weddings at and has an idea himself of what he likes! The Crab & Lobster was a bit too pricey I think from when I looked on their website, although it does sound like a quirky place! x

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi Leanne

I bet it does make it difficult to choose a venue, as he'll have seen the good and bad of everywhere! We got married before we started photographing weddings, which is good as I don't have a clue where I'd choose now! ?

Alison x

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Think I have seen this too late but I have a load of pics you can see if you want? Garden is a good size and I reckon it will be lovely when the lavender is out. I agree though, could do with better pics on the website.

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    Leanne Dollive ·
    • Hide content

Alison - yes it does make it difficult as he's seen some great and some not so great places and he's got his own ideas about what would be good!

Pinpin79 - I actually popped into Marmadukes this afternoon and had a brief tour around with one of the ladies on reception as the wedding coordinator wasn't there. Lovely place, I agree too, the garden will look really good in a few months time! What made you choose Marmadukes?

• S
    Beginner June 2013
    Sarah67 ·
    • Hide content

Hi we are getting married on 15th June 2013 at Ox Pasture Hall. We are then going to The Ganton Greyhound for the reception as there is another wedding after ours at Ox Pasture. We are marrying at 12 O'clock. I wouldn't even bother with Wrea Head Hotel as they couldn't even be botherd with sending their infor out to us. You also have Sledemere House and Sewerby Hall. One of them would only allow the registered photographer to take photo's which I thought was a bit off as everyones aunt's and uncles want to snap a few photo's. Hope you find your dream venue soon as I know they are all getting booked up quickly.

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It was more that we found it online, saw the prices were ok, booked it then went to see it! I think we were lucky and we love it. 3 months yesterday!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics