Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

seating issue - girlfriends of brothers

16 April, 2011 at 10:14 Posted on Planning 0 14

So - traditionally you've got the "guests of the bride" on the left hand side and the "guests of the groom" on the right hand side right? Which we're doing that's fine, and then I'll walk up the aisle from the back and they'll be looking at our backs when we saw our vows - I'm good with that. However, rather than just have our respective families sat on the front row on each side I'm going to have chairs for them set up facing the opposite direction. There is a small "stage" at the top of the room, on which the registrar will stand and the table with the register will be up there etc - when I say stage - it is literally one step lol, not a big stage! So I'm going to have eight chairs on th right hand side, looking back towards all of the guests, for H2B's parents and their new husband and wife (divorced and remarried) and for his sister and her 3 sons. Then on the left hand side facing back down the aisle as well I was going to have 6 chairs, for my parents, my Grandmother, and my three brothers. The numbers will be slightly odd but will this be OK? The difficulty I have is that one of my brothers has had a girlfriend since the summer, so if they're still together then it'll be a 2 year relationship when we get to the wedding. I've only met her a few times so far as we don't really get together as a family that often and she lives a few hours away so he usually travels to Wokingham to visit her. She's a really nice girl and I will certainly be inviting her to the wedding, but would it be mean to seperate them and for her to take a seat with the main group of my guests, whilst my brother sits on the stage? This would mean my side would have 7 seats. Then my younger brother has a VERY strange love life! Just over a year ago he started "dating" a girl, who is very shy and quiet and when I have seen her at the odd gathering she's barely muttered a word to me, I don't think she's just rude, just a bit awkward in social situations. They spend every waking day together and are off on holiday together this year, and yet they are still adament that they are "just friends".... so I don't really know what the etiquette is there?! I've invited them to the engagement party as a couple (sent the invite "to Rob and Katie") just to test the water - but if I'm going to have my brothers girlfriend on the stage should I have the other brothers "friend who is a girl"???? They literally live and act as a couple - I find it very very strange! For example they had a falling out because she "cheated" on him (all better now).... but how can you cheat on someone if you're not an exclusive couple? I don't get it! It's quite probable that between now and the wedding they'll either stop whatever it is they're doing, or they'll come out and admit that they're together and it won't be such a weird set up. But then I have a 3rd brother who is currently single. So if he gets a girlfriend between now and then, and I'm planning on having the other 2 girlfriends up on the stage with my brothers, then I'd have to allow his girlfriend to do the same, which would mean I'd have 9 people on my side of the stage, a third of whom are not actually family! Hmm... Would it be easier all round if the boys had seats up on the stage with our parents and grandmother and the girlfriends could sit together in the main "audience" (wrong word??) it's only for the ceremony after all - which isn't going to be long - they'll all be sat on the same table for the wedding breakfast!

14 replies

Latest activity by judeclarke, 16 April, 2011 at 23:27
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Immediate family where you want them,

girlfriends are not immediate family.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Hey date twin! ?

Could you split the OP into paragraphs. I tried to read it and it all started to go a bit blurry

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    Little Rhi ·
    • Hide content

Hey there,

I would keep just your immediate family there. I can't see that it would be a problem, they are still being invited to the wedding and get to watch you being married. Then as you said they are sat together for the wedding breakfast so they are not apart for long! ?

You could always just make sure that the girlfriends are seated in the audience together then that way if they are a little shy then they all have something in common.

xx

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

Not the question but i think thats a bit wierd having the immediate family facing the guests from a 1-step stage!?!

Unless im not *getting it* the way they are going to be sat...?

• AmyLovesPaul
    Beginner May 2011
    AmyLovesPaul ·
    • Hide content

Immediate family.

I have the very same issue with my brother, he's been with his girlfriend a year an a half, but my mum has asked if we can get as many photos of my brother without his girlfriend as 'just in case' in the future they are not together we can remember the day without having every photo he is in with her.

I think this is mainly because i had a 5 year relationship and all the photos of me at my cousins wedding have my ex in them....bad times!!

X

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

To be honest - I don't mean this in a nasty way because I do worry about the details - you have over a year to go and this sort of thing can be decided a few months before. A lot can happen in a year!!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do agree with this, but also... if your H2B's side has 8 chairs, wouldn't it be better for your side to have 9 chairs (i.e. including girlfriends) rather than 6 because 9 is closer to 8 and so it'll look more 'even'.

• MrsCoco
    MrsCoco ·
    • Hide content

TBH I wouldn't worry about this now - your thoughts are likely to change between now and the wedding, and we all know that a year is a long time in a relationship - anything could happen to their relationships between now and then!

If in doubt, ask your brothers their opinions - I know my main concern when I wed was that my family were as comfortable as possible, and if this meant having their partners sitting by their side then that's what I did! x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

We are achieving this by standing side on/slightly facing the audience. Is that possible for you?

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, maybe you should ask the people you are thinking of putting in theses seats. IMO if i was up there facing everyone I would feel very awkward and out of place. Just gives me the impression of a show. As FTLOMB said you can achieve people seeing you by standing side on.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Do you really need to decide now? It's a long way away yet, you don't have to make a decisiion this week!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics