Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arquard
Beginner May 2011

Seating plan DRAMA

Arquard, 27 March, 2011 at 17:33 Posted on Planning 0 9

Ok, not quite but I am preempting drama and getting in a flap anyway. Seeing as we've had a handful of RSVP 'no's, I've decided to start tweaking the provisional table plan we made last month and I'm all of a flap now.

I have enough guests to sit 12 at the main table, 10 at the second table (all to do with the size of the tables at the venue) and then a further 10 tables which can sit 8 each. Considering that about 6 of the 104 guests are either highchair-age babies, or younger, this is plenty of room. Great!

But now I'm flapping over the top table. Obviously this is where h2b and I will sit, and our parents - drama #1. My parents are divorced, mum is remarried, dad is not. Dad has veeerrrry little respect for mum's new husband and is quite rude about him. Mum has made it clear she is uncomfortable sitting next to dad (or opposite him seeing as it's a massive round table).

I believe it's also customary for the best man and MOH to sit at the top table - drama #2. MoH has a 1 year old son who she'd like to sit with, and I think she'd rather sit with her other half than on a separate table.

Then there's MY kids - drama #3. My two sons want to sit at the kids' table (yes I know we're bonkers for even considering having one, but we've spoken to the parents of all the relevant children and we've decided it'll be FINE. We have a battle plan Smiley winking ) but my daughter is only 2 and although she's excellently well behaved, I think she's too little to sit by herself. Do I nominate a member of family to watch her, or just put her at the main table with us? Is that not favouring her over the boys a bit, even though they don't want to sit at the top table?!

Would it be an enormous faux pas to have the top table Family Only, and then have the MoH, bridesmaids, Best (Wo)Man and ushers hosting other tables? If we did that, it would take care of 8 tables and leave 2 with no official "host" as such.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!! ?

9 replies

Latest activity by Sawah, 27 March, 2011 at 19:52
  • leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

My friend got married last yr and they had their 2yr old sat next to them - can u not have your parents ''host'' their own tables thus saivng u the headache and stress of seating them together? or jut have a sweetheart table with only u and hub on it?

• Kitty824
    Beginner December 2011
    Kitty824 ·
    • Hide content

We were having a major headache about the top table and decided it would just be us and parents. we were going to have MOH and BM at the top table but my MOH is my sister and she would prefer to sit with her other half and her daughter. So in effect we are having a bridesmaids table and a best man table. BM will host a table and MOH will host a table. At the end of the day dont stress to much over it aslong as everyone has a seat on the day it will be fine!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

We asked the venue about a sweetheart table for just the two of us, but they don't have (or at least said they don't have!) any small enough. They have a 12-seat round table, a 10 seat round table and 8 x 8 seaters. Meh.

I'm playing with my spreadsheet and trialling out some ideas.

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

Oh no.. I really dread having to do the seating plans. Top table will be the worst. Becuase we can only have either tables of 8-10 or tables of 6-8... There is already 6 of us (me, H2b and our children) and then theres my Mum and her husband.. my sister (BM) and her daughter and other half.... what a muddle! So I have no idea what I'll be doing and I have a feeling that I may end up posting on here for help!

• Holly-Jayne
    Beginner August 2012
    Holly-Jayne ·
    • Hide content

Hey sammy, you have the same problems as us although we are about a year behind you lol! both our parents are divorced and remarried except my dad and my two nans dont get on and my MOH will by then have three kids under the age of 5 plus our little boy who will be three so we are dreading the table plan drama as well. I think the safest option would be to have either a sweetheart table if possible or just family as you said and get the others to host their own tables. Think it would make the most sense and hopefully cause the least amount of trouble! Although i'm not being as brave as you and having a kids table lol!!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

My solution to all these family dramas is constant, simple and straightforward.

Put your difference aside and suck it up for a couple of hours to share a table with someone you would rather not, or don't bother to come if your pride is more important than our special day.

Not been let down yet...

• L
    Beginner April 2011
    loopyjennie ·
    • Hide content

Sammy I have the same problem..

this is what we have done..

on top table we are having me, h2b, my dad, best man, bestman oh, h2b dad, h2b mum and then our 2 boys.. My mum is then sitting with my sister (one of the bridesmaids) and my other bridesmaid is sitting with her oh. My Dad and mum's new husband havent meet yet so it could be interesting ?

our 2 boys are going to be on either end of the table with h2b mum having the youngest to look after and bestman oh looking after our oldest..

For your daughter i would nominate someone to sit with her.. at the end of the day its your day and even though your dad doesnt get on with your mum's new hubby he should keep quiet about it..

hope that helps..

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Thanks loopyjennie Smiley smile I think I'm going to have a word with my dad and make him swear to behave and be nice to mum's husband! So far my spreadsheet with the BMs and Ushers hosting tables is going quite well.

• L
    Beginner April 2011
    loopyjennie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

sounds like a plan.. glad its going well that way.. ?

• S
    Beginner September 2011
    Sawah ·
    • Hide content

My top table is where all the headaches were due to both my parents and h2b parents being split up so to save arguements there will be myself h2b best man and my chief bridemaid and my dad as he wil be doing his speech. Im gutted my mum wont be there but she will be on a table very close.

Our other drama is where to sit my dads gf and her daughter as nobody likes them Smiley sad (myself included)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics