Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ShootingStar2012
Beginner March 2015

Secret Engagement - update **with flash**

ShootingStar2012, 13 of November of 2012 at 15:16

Posted on Planning 52

Hi, I just joined this site and it’s absolutely fantastic! Got a small dilemma on my hands though… my fiancé and I have been together a little over 3 months, though we knew each other as friends before. We’ve known from very early on it’s pretty serious and the last few weeks it’s clearly become a...

Hi, I just joined this site and it’s absolutely fantastic! Got a small dilemma on my hands though… my fiancé and I have been together a little over 3 months, though we knew each other as friends before. We’ve known from very early on it’s pretty serious and the last few weeks it’s clearly become a case of when and not if we get married. Anyway we were talking the other night and the conversation sort of led to him asking me to marry him; of course I said yes, and we were both very giddy and excited! The next day we were looking in jewellers' windows just for inspiration and I happened to fall in love with a ring which he bought. All a bit whirlwind but we couldn’t be happier. Anyway, because we’ve not been together all that long, we’ve decided to keep it a secret from our friends and family for now. My ring is being resized and he’s planning on collecting it when it’s ready but not giving it to me until Christmas. My head is a little all over the place to be honest, part of me just wants to tell the world that we’re engaged and how excited I am about it all. But then I’m also very aware that people’s reactions might not be quite what we hope due to the timings… am I right in worrying about it all? Is the fact we’re keeping it from people a ‘sign’, or am I overthinking it all too much (something I’m very good at!)? I’m also not sure what to do about the wedding, we’re thinking Autumn 2014, and part of me can’t stop thinking about planning it, but as it’s all a bit hush-hush almost feels wrong getting too carried away! The aim is to tell people around summer next year so if I leave it till then to start planning I’ll only have a year!? Any thoughts would be really appreciated… ?

52 replies

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Stop worrying about what other people will think of you, it's your life, live it how you want. Don't keep anything a secret of its what makes you happy.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS! As long as you two are sure it is the right thing for you both, then I wouldn't keep it a secret. x

• Peachblossom
    Beginner March 2012
    Peachblossom ·
    • Hide content

Like everyone has said, you'll have a couple of year til you actually plan to get married - it's not like you're getting married in a month. Don't be concerned about the wedding planning. Lots of people plan a wedding in less than a year, but if you're worried about that and you're sure (which you seem to be) then you can book the things that need booking early (venue, tog, church if you want one etc.) as soon as you like. You don't have to tell people as soon as you book these - a year's notice for a wedding is plenty - they don't need to know things have already been booked for 6 months!

• ShootingStar2012
    Beginner March 2015
    ShootingStar2012 ·
    • Hide content

That's very true, thank you! I can't help but look for ideas and things, been thinking of nothing else since he asked me, haha. Just putting ideas together at this stage, but I think once we've done it properly and told people we will start seriously talking about location and things, not that they need to know, as you say. I'm just so excited, I love lists and organising things anyway so this is going to be great (and stressful!)

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

The support you seem to already have from your Mum is, and during your wedding planning will prove to be, far more important than a friend's opinion xx

• ShootingStar2012
    Beginner March 2015
    ShootingStar2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That actually made me feel a little emotional! I think you've hit the nail on the head there ? thank you so much!

• ShootingStar2012
    Beginner March 2015
    ShootingStar2012 ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone, just wanted to give you a quick update - we've gone public and have had nothing but excitement at the news ?

OH gave me the ring in Paris last week, we went away for a couple of days and after dinner on the first night were walking along the Seine and stopped right in front of the Eiffel Tower. It was all lit up and looked absolutely beautiful - I turned to look at him and he was there with the ring. Even though I was half expecting it, I did cry a bit!

Anyway when we got back he rang his mum and she was thrilled, and not a bit surprised! We told my parents the following day as we went round for lunch, and they were just as happy for us. My mum's planning the whole thing in her head already, and even my Dad - who I was most anxious about - admitted they expected it and both were very happy (although I think he's having a small panic about saving up in time!). Everyone else we've told since have been just as excited and not one person was surprised in the least!

It all feels much more real now, and I'm absolutely loving walking around with a ring on my finger - can't stop looking at it ?

Just wanted to thank you all for your help with this, it certainly reassured me and you were all right about people just wanting us to be happy.

Oh, and a quick flash of the ring... ? (hope the pictures don't come out too huge!)

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Congrats, the ring is stunning!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

That's lovely news, glad to hear it!

Ring is gorgeous (and without wanting to sound like a weirdo) you have lovely hands too.

• ShootingStar2012
    Beginner March 2015
    ShootingStar2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha, aww thank you!!

• M
    Marysmsmt ·
    • Hide content

I agree, you have lovely hands! AND the ring is beautiful. Congrats, i'm glad everyone has been supportive- when you know you know, right?!

xx

(we've been together 7 months- engaged and living together after 6, wedding booked for 18 month anniversary)

• ShootingStar2012
    Beginner March 2015
    ShootingStar2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You definitely do, I never even dreamed I could feel so in love and sure about anything and I think friends and family can probably tell (as is the case with most people when it comes down to it)

All the best for your wedding too, nice to know I'm not the only one in the 'when you know, you know' boat ? Incidentally, we are also Hertfordshire (I know my profile says Kent as that's where I currently am but OH is from near St. Albans so that's probably where the wedding will be as I'll be moving up there to be with him asap ?

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Your ring is an absolute beaut!!! I've not seen one like it before with the subtle twist!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Yay congratulations x

• N
    Beginner December 2013
    NorthernBelle_79 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!!! We're out in the open now too!!! Smiley smile)) x

• ShootingStar2012
    Beginner March 2015
    ShootingStar2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just replied to your thread too, hehe! Great feeling isn't it, congrats ?

• N
    Beginner December 2013
    NorthernBelle_79 ·
    • Hide content

I'm on top of the world......just managed to post some pics too Smiley smile)) x

• <3FutureMrsN<3
    Beginner March 2016
    <3FutureMrsN<3 ·
    • Hide content

So glad you now out in the open!!! So happy for you. The ring is BEAUTIFUL. In my opinion surprise engagements are the best ? My OH hadn't planned our engagement it was basically thrust upon him but we are so happy it was!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

Missed this originally so pleased to see everything is going well!

All the best :-) x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics