Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I-go-by-many-names
Super April 2015

Seeing the groom before the end of the aisle

I-go-by-many-names, 6 of April of 2014 at 19:10 Posted on Planning 0 18

How many of you are seeing your groom before you get to the end of the aisle at the ceremony? I'd love to know what your plans are, especially if you're not one for tradition like us.

We are almost certain we will see each other before then, although to what extent is undecided- do we spend the pre-wedding night together at a nearby hotel? Or sleep separately? Get changed separately or together? I think I like the idea of us getting ready separately, then the photographer capturing our reactions when we see each other all dolled up for the first time, I just don't get why this 'first time' has to be at the end of the aisle. Would the 'first look' not have more impact if this was more of a private shared thing between us rather than in full view of all the guests? Surely we will both be too nervous to really soak up and appreciate how amazing we both look during the ceremony? Hope that all made sense!

18 replies

Latest activity by lilbeth, 7 of April of 2014 at 21:19
  • *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

The 'first look' photos are an American tradition I think. That said the idea is lovely but I was much more enamoured by mrmini seeing me as I walked down the aisle. Our tog caught both of our expressions so well that a first look wasn't needed and in my cabbage would have spoilt a bit of the magic for us.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

We've had this debate too, as I know the tradition is to not see each other on the morning of the wedding, but we're staying in the same hotel so I couldn't really see how it would work unless we got separate rooms, and that seemed like a bit of a faff. I think we'll just time our getting ready so H2B can go down to the hotel bar and wait for me, and then I'll still get a 'reveal' of sorts.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We're having a first look. It's important to us that we get to see each other before the ceremony and spend some time together.

We'll likely get ready apart and then meet for a little while before the ceremony- our photographer and videographer will be there but no one else. It'll probably only be 10-15 minutes, but it's an absolute must for us.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I really liked the idea of getting ready together but Mr DCM was keen on having the traditional aisle bit. I think for similar reasons that it feels a bit special/magical. I know the first look things is very popular in America - it's a nice idea.

• S
    Beginner October 2014
    Sheldon ·
    • Hide content

Has anyone showen your OH your dress? What hair style your having etc?

I find it difficult as i want to include him and his opinion means so much to me. we are not traditional, and people keep saying i should no way show him my dress. Which is also tricky seeing as it is hanging up in our spare room lol .

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't have a dress yet but I did go dress shopping once and showed him pictures of me trying different dresses on, but I know I won't be wearing any of those as I didn't like them enough. It doesn't bother us to share pictures of what we're both wearing but I'll probs leave it until the wedding morning for him to actually see me in my dress and for me to see him in his get up.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally get this, I just think for us it would create more of a special experience to see each other first before anyone else and in more of an intimate setting rather than in full view of everyone else. I'm worried that at the start of the ceremony we will both just be focusing on controlling nerves perhaps also not really having time to look at each other properly. Also I hadn't realised what I envisaged was already a tradition in America, not sure if this is a good or bad thing!

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

My OH will see me at the end of the aisle. He's looking forward to it! I wanted to show him my hair etc but he doesn't want to know. He wants the whole thing to be a surprise! He's seen my shoes, but they're not particularly special. He'll see me in wedding make up tomorrow because we're meeting for lunch after I've had my trial!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I am getting ready at our hotel with my sisters and then Mr Foo is coming to meet me there, we are doing some couple pics and then walking down the aisle together. I am really nervous about the aisle thing and want to share it with him for moral support and because it just feels right.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love this idea.

I wanted a first look to relief nerves but Mr E didn't being the traditionalist he is. in the end i wasn't nervous about walking down the aisle on the day. 'walking' down the aisle was a different thing all together ...

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I also love this idea, unfortunately although I consider myself a feminist I decided to ask my Dad to walk me down the aisle (making a point of saying 'walking down the aisle' rather than 'giving me away'!) I'm his only daughter and I think it would upset him if I told him I wanted to walk down with my OH. What we might do instead is have him walk down with his mum, then me with my dad.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

We will be spending the night before the wedding together at home with our pets. That's where we are most comfortable and happy. I will leave early on the day and go to my Mums to get ready, and we won't see each other again until the end of the aisle. He has seen a picture of my dress but won't be seeing it in the flesh until I walk in!

• C
    Beginner May 2014
    cmchannon ·
    • Hide content

We're staying together the night before the wedding in our home. We have 3 small children (6,4,2) and the 2 year old doesn't sleep well so I know if I was home with the 2 girls (6&2 year old) i wouldn't get much sleep and if she has a paddy in the night then I will need his support. Also our 4 year old son is very imaginative and keeps dreaming up monsters etc, put him in another house with daddy i dont see either of them getting much sleep :-/

Also i've got to be at the hair dressers at half 9 so he's watching the kids until my BIL gets there to take over then him and our son are off to grannys to get ready. Weddings with kids are stressful

My OH has seen some pics of the dresses i didnt like and the hair i didnt like but hes not seen the real deal

• M
    Beginner June 2014
    MrsACF ·
    • Hide content

We are eloping, so will be together the night before and we will see each other before the ceremony as we have opted to be interviewed by the registrar together. We are also walking in together - although there is no aisle as it is in an outside pagoda.

We are going to get dressed separately, so we will still have a "first look" moment Smiley smile

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

My mother has specifically suggested to OH that he turn and watch me walking up the aisle to get "the full effect" but other than that we're going traditional, veil, father in tow and all! ?

• Studying&Planning
    Beginner April 2014
    Studying&Planning ·
    • Hide content

We are staying together the night before at the venue, then having breakfast with my family in the morning, then he'll toddle off back home to get ready, and the rest of us will get ready at the venue. He will undoubtedly watch me try not to trip up as I walk down the aisle. He's seen my shoes and hair, and talked a fair bit about the dress (i.e. it has a jacket, and that he will be able to see my shoes), but not seen it all together - he's my best friend, every time I pick or chose something I want to tell him all about it.

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

We are most likely having a 'first look'. It was actually a blog of Pavone Photography's that convinced me when I was toying with the idea Smiley laugh

I thought my mum would kick up a fuss at the lack of tradition but you was surprisingly ok with it.

We haven't decided what to do the night before yet though. Part of me wants to hire a place for me and the BMs, but the other part wants to spend it with OH.

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

We're waiting until the aisle.

I would quite like it for him not to turn round until I get to the end so that we can have some suspense but he wants to see me walk all the way down and I think his reaction will make a good picture. (Hopefully for the right reasons!)

I like the idea of first looks but wouldn't work as we are getting ready in different places...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics