Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Self Conscious

4 of February of 2015 at 14:11 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi, my wedding is coming up in August and whilst i am really excited about it i am worried about fitting into my wedding dress. i had a fitting in Nov and they needed to take it in around the chest area as it bowed really bad.....i had a fitting in Jan and it was really tight and uncomfortable.

the dress is fitted and whilst it's a little snug at the moment i am in the gym at every opportunity to get into it. my self conscious part where i can deal with the chest part my tummy has a reluctant muffin top thing going on and worried this wont shift before the day.

my friend suggested spanx to me to feel more confident during the day and i was just wandering if any other brides were dealing with this?

6 replies

Latest activity by elvira-darkside, 5 of February of 2015 at 08:02
  • Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I lost weight before my wedding purely because of all the things I had to do and worry about. I got told not to lose any futher weight, so I think you will be fine. Depending on your dress, spanx might make things even more uncomfortable...

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing my best to lose the last 3st I want to before next year (lost 5 already ? ), but I will be left with lost of wobbly bits and a slinky dress to fit into. Will be squeezing myself into an all in one shorts thing to give me a smoother outline. Got a black one I wore at Christmas, and it did make a difference. Made me stand up better too, which made me feel better about myself. I'm not going for shorts or up to bust pants as they would roll down and the muffin top would be even more pronounced as the flab they squeeze will need to go somewhere ?. Need the straps to keep it all in place lol.

What till you get the dress back finished and see how it fits on you, then try on different styles of underwear

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

I think spanx are really uncomfortable. I'm wearing a corset hook style thing under my dress which pulls me in & gives me an amazing shillouette (sp?) Try one!

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Having got married and worn a wedding dress all day, I probably would not recommend spanx. It will largely depend upon the sort of dress you have though and maybe even the weather.

To be honest, it can be difficult enough going to the toilet with a wedding dress on without adding spanx into the mix. I also found that I got really hot during parts of the day (married in September) and having an extra layer of big pants wouldn't have made it any better. If you're marrying in August, hopefully you will have nice warm weather too.

If you are sold on the idea, I would give spanx a trial run to see how you get on. I guess it will depend on your style of dress, but I found with mine that once it was fitted properly, it sort of held me in itself anyway. Totally agree with Pompey too that quite often you do lose weight just before the day due to being so busy. I was also told to stop losing weight and by that point, I wasn't even trying!

• W
    WeddingontheBrain ·
    • Hide content

There are so many other undergarments besides spanx that will help you fit well into a dress. Go to a department store and have a look. I've worn a bridesmaid dress that looked terribly big on top - until a shop assistant put me in a push-up backless bra (even though the dress was not backless) and then the dress looked perfect. I've also felt like my middle wasn't smooth, until I pulled spanx (like cycling shorts) up high and it totally changed my look. I know Spanx make all kinds of supporting and sucking-in types of things and slips depending on what your issue is. Don't be afraid to use them on your wedding day because you want yourself to look and feel spectacular! What other day would be better to use them?

Regular strapless bras tend to push you down, while backless bras tend to push you up. Spanx and other sucking-in slips will smooth your middle and hips/butt. Make sure you try different ones on though to see what you like best, and what works for your problem areas. You could even buy a few and try them on with the dress then return what didn't work.

As for comfort - of course it will feel great taking it all off at the end of the night, but with nerves and everything throughout the day you probably won't be focusing on the comfort of your undergarments.

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

Hula-hooping is amazing for this area. 10-15 minutes a day can make a big difference. dont think that you cant hula - it takes a little bit of practice, but ive not failed to teach anyone yet! tonnes of videos on youtube, and a weighted hoop is quite cheap. just make sure you get the right size for your height. a hoop should stand anywhere between your waist and below your chest. the larger the hoop, the easier it is. it is low impact and really works. you dont have to learn any fancy moves, just waist hooping will help.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics