Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Saracroft251
Beginner August 2010

Self indulgent whinge post

Saracroft251, 30 April, 2010 at 11:55 Posted on Planning 0 11

My dress is in the shop - I get to try it on tomorrow. I have only tried a sample on once and that was 4 months ago, I am slightly anxious about it.

I had this fitting booked in the diary for at least a month with my mum and CBM - i emailed them about it yesterday to confirm and Mum has doubled booked herself and CBM is all non committall - her emails end up making me feel guilty for expecting her to come.

I ended up feeeling like maybe I expected too much asking them to come, they seemed all excited last month when i called them to tell them the dress would be in on 1st May.....now I just feel like I am boring them. ☹️

So I emailed them both to say, not to worry, I would go alone and that we could go another time in June/July when I have my proper fittings etc

I feel a bit sad, this is my ACTUAL dress, I have only ever tried a sample on once, what I have wobbles? Afterall I am the bride with 3 dresses! It would have been nice to have had someone there for support

11 replies

Latest activity by Pink121, 30 April, 2010 at 17:19
  • debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

3 dresses!?? just say to them that you arent asking for very much of their time and that you would really appreciate them coming to see the dress.

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

Oh have a ?. I know how you feel to a degree, I went dress shopping by myself. THere was no shop to go to when it arrived (they went bust so the dress came to me direct) and OHs mum was the only one who cared enough to come round so I could try it on. Everyone else expected me to wait 2 weeks! Then I arranged my fittings and went to those by myself too. I'm sure you'll be fine. Get the shop to take some pics for you and dont forget to show us! We can help with any wobbles IF you have them but I'm sure you'll be ok. If not, is there noone else that could go with you?

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Ah yes - been there, seen it, done it.

I booked my 2nd dress appointment and 1st BM appointment a good 6-8 weeks in advance (so my Mam could come down). The day before my best mate said she couldn't come. Turned out she doing something she didn't want to do but had already promised she'd go!!?? Needless to say a few emails telling her she was a numpty made her change her plans.

When my dress arrived I told them I needed to see them that night. They tried to put me off as they were having a hen weekend planning meeting that night. I told them I didn't care about my bloody hen night and they were damn well gonna let me put it on! ?

Friends eh!

Have your whinge at them, go to the dress appointment tomorrow, try it on and i'm sure you'll feel amazing. It'll be a special moment just for you ?

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

3 dresses lady we need to hear about them all. And what is your final choice?

I am happy to come virtually to your dress fitting just post some photos on here.

It seems surprising after you booked it all in that your mum and BM are now busy/ not bothered but I am sure they will make up for it at your next fitting.

My BMs will not becoming to my fittings (dress being made so there are a few to fit in).

However at least one of them will be made to come to final fitting to learn how to do dress up.

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

The bride with 3 dresses ?

At least if you have wobbles about this one you have 2 more to fall back on!!

What are you going to do with the 2 you dont keep??!! RMW lets you advertise them for FREE!!! Get them posted on there!

Arrrhhh rubbish about your Mum and CBM blowing out last minute - to be honest i think i would prefer to go to my first fitting alone, but then i am like that!

Is there another friend you can take?

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

Hey! I went to my first (and second, and third) fitting alone and to be honest, I'm really glad that I did! It was so much about pinning and cutting and stuff that it didn't really look like a dress the first time and was just swathes of fabric and anyone that came with me would have been bored to tears and I had no intention of putting them through that. You also need to go to the appointment with a more positive outlook - worrying that you might have wobbles leaves you susceptible to overanalysing your own response when you do try the dress on - i.e. making you more likely to think negative things. Just remember, this is a dress that you love and try to go to the appointment with that in mind - it really will help, I promise!

I doubt that my mutterings will help, but I really wouldn't worry about not having anyone to go with you, the teams in the shop are brilliant at reassuring ladies with wobbles and we're here to help you out as well and we are far more engaged with the whole subject of weddings than any real-life friends!

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

Awh, don't feel too down about it.

Go on your own and they'll get the complete wow factor on the day, plus this way they can't tell you if they don't like it etc. - which they will cos its gooooorrrrrrrjus!

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

I felt a bit down before my first fitting - believe me when you get it on you'll feel fantastic and not notice that you haven't got anyone with you at all. x

• aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content

Ugh BMs can be so annoying. i think they really don't understand how or why we stress out over every decision. it is difficult to keep them involved without them making you feel like you are being an overly demanding person - and you are not! your mum and BM are being rubbish ☹️ don't let it get to you, go enjoy your trial, take a couple of pics, and at least let your mum (if not your BM as well) know that you would have appreciated their support but supposedly their priorities were elsewhere!

did they come to fittings for your first 2 dresseS?xx

• Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all ?for being so lovely as always.

Things seemd to get worse at lunch... I went into town with OH to buy a strapless bra, to wear tomorrow under my wedding dress as my current bras dont fit, I am measured and told I am 32H ? - turns out nowhere in Portsmouth has a 32H strapless Bra in any colour at all - so i have moved my fitting to next weekend to give me time to find a bra ...LOL

After shopping I got back in the car and had a little cry with OH about my boobs & my CBM/Mum and felt much better. He even offered to take me to bravissimo tomorrow to get fitted there ❤️ which was so sweet it made me cry more!!!

I have emailed the girls the new date and time of the fitting, and if they want to come along, then great, if not then I no longer mind. Sod them.

Explanation of the three dresses:

Dress 1. I got engaged Spring 2008, fell in love with a Maggie Sottero "Philippa" dress and found a 2nd hand one in ivory & light gold, bought it (size tiiiny!!) and then realised I would never fit in it and that I was a numpty for even thinking I could be a size 8.......This dress is still for sale if anyone wants it?

Dress 1

Dress 2: so the search began again, I found an Ian Stuart dress in a bridal shop in chichester that I loved, it was outrageously extravagant and over the top and I adored it. I tried it on about 6 times over the course of 2009. My mum & CBM did NOT want me to buy it due to the stoooopid price tag....In early 2010 I went to a bridal shop in Surrey to buy this dress....deposit paid.............but whilst I was there I saw another dress "The One" Hanging up......

Dress 2

Dress 3: It was a gown from 2010 Pronovias collection and I had always liked it from afar, it was really fussy and I could in no way "pull it off", so for a laugh I tried it on....and it looked and felt amazing, I subsequently fell in love with it and transfered my ££ across from the Ian Stuart dress to the Pronovias one.

I havent got any images to show of the Actual final pronovias wedding dress I chose- but when I have my fitting next weekend (hopefully) I will flash...

dress 3 (just kidding!)

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Ooo I tried the Phillipa dress when I was looking it was lovely. Can't wait to see dress number 3 it sounds very exciting and as for the bra shopping I have to say A) I am a little envious ( In that departemnt I will be outshone by both my BM's no matter how much cheating I do (one of them infmously announced her bra size on the chris moyles show last year!)and B) how lovely is your OH offering to take you to bravissmo?

• P
    Beginner November 2010
    Pink121 ·
    • Hide content

Hahah love the post and the pictures Saracroft! Especially the last one!!!... i was a little bemused for a small moment! Thats annoying about the fitting but I dont think you can really say much, just have tio bite your tongue. Have a hug though! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics