Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner

Self Tie Cravat or Pre Tied Scrunchie Cravat

Jenn12, 23 February, 2010 at 06:50 Posted on Planning 0 3

Do you girlsd have a prefernce on what type of cravat your groom, bestman and ushers wear or is a cravat just a cravat?

3 replies

Latest activity by BespokeTailor, 23 February, 2010 at 13:45
  • Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

It doesnt bother me which one mine has, but if the suit hire place does them, i want the ready tied ones cause i know the men who will be wearing one will have no idea what to do with one!

x

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

My OH is wearing a normal suit and tie and he picked it himself. It's his outfit so he had to choose what he wanted.

We chose the men's ties together but he had had the deciding vote.

• Sharonhair HIB
    Sharonhair HIB ·
    • Hide content

''How does this thing go''

i get asked this every week! I think the pre tied ones are probably the easiest, because the groom is the one who has usually chosen it and 9 times out of 10 the brides father / brother havent been told or have forgotten.

If you do go for the untied ones, give each person whose wearing it, a photo of how it should look . you don't want the brides side wearing it one way and the grooms another way!

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

Self Tie cravats are easy to tie. Like a four in hand knot. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-uQRzfndxg

(they can also be tied in a few more unusual knots, if you would like to know I can post pictures later)

Self tie cravats have no adjustment for size so you will not see a slide bar at the back of the shirt. However they are never big enough! So when you have a person with a collar size over 16 1/2 " they do not tie correctly. If you are to make them correctly you will add 2" onto the length of a cravat for every 1/2" collar size. They also need to be silk as polyester fabrics do not grip or scrunch up, the way a cravat should.

Ready Tied cravats are better as one size fits all and they all look the same. If you buy them with a floating neck band you can spin the band around so the clasp is hidden under the shirt collar. You will however see a slide bar at some point around the collar of the shirt.

In the end it does not make a huge difference. I use both styles side by side and most people would not know the difference. https://www.hitched.co.uk/mens-wedding-suits/jack-bunneys/ I bet you can't tell which ones are ready tied!!

Good Luck !

Marc

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics