Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2014

Self-catering wedding venue in Devon

bridetobe14, 18 March, 2013 at 15:39 Posted on Planning 0 16

Does anyone know any self-catering wedding venues anywhere in Devon, preferably by the seaside? Would be great if the venue had a wedding license as well. Thank you!

16 replies

Latest activity by TamarValleyGirl, 19 March, 2013 at 20:08
  • Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

Do you mean self-catering as in somewhere to stay? or you want to provide your own catering for the wedding?

• B
    Beginner August 2014
    bridetobe14 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I meant that we would like to provide our own catering and drinks Smiley smile

• Daenerys Targaryen
    Beginner May 2013
    Daenerys Targaryen ·
    • Hide content

Cliff house in Salcombe? Not seaside exactly (as in beaches) but overlooking the sea at least!

• V
    Beginner September 2013
    Vix7913 ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married a The Oak Barn near Okehampton, not by the sea, but has a wedding license and you can 100% do what you like with regards to catering/drinks/anything really!

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

When I was looking for a venue I saw this and thought it looked fantastic https://www.tunnelsbeaches.co.uk/weddings.html

I don't know about food though.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

What sort of budget are you looking at?

We currently love the look of Tavistock Town Hall Smiley smile

• TamarValleyGirl
    Beginner May 2013
    TamarValleyGirl ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at Tavistock Town Hall ?

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

TVG: What are you doing for catering?

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

We looked at this place http://www.kennawayhouse.org.uk/

It is lovely, self catering and literally 100 yards from the seafront in Sidmouth, Devon. The only thing that stopped us what that their maximum capacity is 100. We have seen people have old fashioned fish and chip vans, Ice Cream vans and hog roasts here.

Depending on your budget, I went to a wedding here and it was fantastic. http://www.thegreatbarndevon.co.uk/

• B
    Beginner August 2014
    bridetobe14 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your suggestions!

I've seen the Tunnel Beaches venue before and it is absolutely lovely but too pricy for our budget.. We are looking to spend around 2000 for the venue, I know we probably have to stretch out a bit but we are on a budget. We have friends/colleagues and family who have agreed to do our catering, cake, photography etc. so that should save A LOT of money. Cliff House looks like a place we are looking for Smiley smile

Has anyone got married in Gurrow Point? It is so hard to get in touch with them but does anyone know whether they have a wedding license there?

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

Tavistock town hall is fantastic - the staff are VERY helpful, and the bar prices (and corkage) are reasonable as well. Remarkably cheap venue hire (think it's gone up to £330 for the day now) or they have an optional in house caterer as well. Then there's a small per head charge for use of the catering facilities - was about £2.50 when we got married (2010 prices carried over to 2012). Has a wedding licence as well - we got married in the parish church opposite - if you're local or have connections they are certainly worth considering.

We used the Browns Vibe outside catering who were amazing, great food and instead of picking from a menu they come up with a custom menu for you. Pricing was similar to the in house caterer as well.

For flowers we used Randall Cox who were also brilliant - everything was just what I wanted...

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

The town hall does look gorgeous and would allow us to get married in the same place as the reception Smiley smile

Our only issue is we're on such a tight budget that we need to probably look at DIY catering, but what on earth do you prepare for 100 people??

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Depending on your budget, you can get a hog roast to feed 120, with carving and serving including rolls and stuffing for £672 inc vat from here (best hog roast in Devon) http://www.kennifordfarm.co.uk/hog-roast. You could ask friends/family to make a few pasta salad bits to go with? Could also ask some willing bakers to make up some desserts and have a big table for people to help themselves. I went to a wedding where they did this and it worked so well! Very relaxed, but great food! If I could I would do this, but OH wants a sit down meal. I have compromised at 2 courses and no top table! The town hall looks really beautiful!

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

I thought I recognised the name, they have a place in Plymouth Smiley smile

I couldn't see the £672 one though. The prices on the website (including rolls etc) are more expensive and they say they only feed 80. Where was the 120 price?

I like that we can bring our own salads etc to bulk it out Smiley smile

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

The £672 includes VAT - It is the £560 + VAT. Any standard hog roast can feed 120, so it would be worth asking. This is another company I know of - very good http://www.theeducatedpig.co.uk/roast.html. They cook it all day for you! No prices on website, but just email them and say what you want and what price. They key is to barter with people, especially when they don't have their prices on their website.

• TamarValleyGirl
    Beginner May 2013
    TamarValleyGirl ·
    • Hide content

Our caterer is Jane Osborne of Food Dreckly. She only uses local and seasonal produce, which is important to us. She created a bespoke menu based on our needs/preferences, we were really impressed with her ideas.

Tavistock Town Hall waive their hire fee if you use their in-house caterer, Janet Neil. We met her - she's OK, but too fixed on her menus for our preferences. I guess if you like what she offers, it's a good deal. I know people who've been to events she's catered and they say the food was good.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics