Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

hazel
VIP July 2007

Sending food to Australia

hazel, 1 of December of 2008 at 20:43 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

Anyone know about customs restrictions getting into Australia? I suspect that my BILs ideal Christmas gift would be a parcel of Soreen maltloaf. I seem to remember taking some with us last time we were there but I can't remember if I declared it or not. Will it get through customs if I post it? The Australian Customs website is spectacularly unhelpful on this matter. I want a list with "Soreen - OK" on it ?

14 replies

Latest activity by Pommie, 3 of December of 2008 at 01:22
  • clair_de_lune
    Beginner
    clair_de_lune ·
    • Hide content

I'm no expert on posting manufactured baked goods to the Antipodes but I say if it's only a (v. well wrapped) pack of Soreen you have little to lose. I have a friend who posted a kebab to an expat mate in the States. On the customs label he wrote 'slippers'. Sadly the kebab never made it.

• Imelda
    Beginner July 2008
    Imelda ·
    • Hide content

I think some states are stricter than others - especially concerning the importation of fruit (even though it's dried and cooked).

If you declare it as "store bought cake" then it may get through. Every thing that is posted to Australia is scanned, so they may pick it up on xray and reject it, or they may let it through as it's a commercially produced item rather than something homemade.

• P
    Popcorn1 ·
    • Hide content

Does this database from the AQIS help at all?

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp

• P
    Beginner
    peanut ·
    • Hide content

I have a feeling you can't. They are so strict on what is allowed into the country. My mum usually has to clear out her bag of munchies as the plane touches down as most of it usually is on the list of "not allowed" foods.

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did have a look but it's still not clear - I might email them. Thanks all

• pans
    Beginner
    pans ·
    • Hide content

Hazel - can you post it seperately to the other things you post? H LOVES malt loaf and we have to buy it from the English Shop ever here (about four quid a loaf !!!). They are VERY VERY strict about what they let in and i cant advise on malt loaf.

MrsB once sent me a package of english chocolate. Loads of different types (Bless her). Anyway, it never arrived and I felt awful. A couple of months later i received it. It had been opened by customs and a letter was put in saying they were suspicious it contained illegal produce and to warn me they would be checking ALL future packages in my name. It was bizarre. MrsB - cocaine smuggler. ? All the chocolate was still there.

However, other chocolate has arrived no problem. Maybe MRsB has a previous record.......

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I've sent chocs to my friend in NZ now problem but she's desperate for satsumas and I don't think they'd make it through lol! PMSL at sending the kebab through.

• Ladelley
    Beginner August 2008
    Ladelley ·
    • Hide content

Sunset, I'm very surprised she can't get satsumas in NZ, we used to get them in Melbourne.

Hazel, I doubt it'd get through, but there's no harm in trying. I second the suggestion of writing 'store bought cake' on it. It might help.

My sister bought some cake mix when here and posted it back to herself and it took about 3 months to get through because it was being investigated.

• RedB
    Beginner
    RedB ·
    • Hide content

My mum used to bring fruit cake out with her when she came to visit me, always declared it at customs and they always looked at her as if she was mad, and just waved her through! But, I had a jar of Hellmans confiscated - I was gutted.

Red

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, I was surprised by that. Maybe she hasn't looked in the right places.

• Sairedy
    Beginner September 2003
    Sairedy ·
    • Hide content

I send my sister chocolate and biscuits and angel delight

My mum sends shreddies

Sometimes the packages get opened but I guess you take your chance really

I'd send it like someone else said and put fruit cake or something on the label and see if it gets through

We've had pot pouri (sp) opened before

• Ladelley
    Beginner August 2008
    Ladelley ·
    • Hide content

They were all just called Mandarins, though.

• Sugarmouse
    Beginner June 2008
    Sugarmouse ·
    • Hide content

I think you'll probably be ok.

Fruit if it's processed somehow - cooked in jam or in a pudding for example gets accepted in by customs in my experience. It's raw fruit and veg that's the problem re diseases and insects that they don't like in general.

I recall emailing customs - you can actually do that, although the replies can take a while - re Christmas puddings one year as I didn't want to have them confiscated. The reply came back they were ok but to declare them thoroughly on customs forms. So I would go with the 'commercially made fruit loaf' type of description on the form.

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your replies - I might give it a go, well labelled, and see what happens. Though to be honest, the postage on a couple of malt loaves is probably more than just ordering him a couple from the English shop ?

Pans, if it gets through, I'll take orders. Shall I stuff them with cocaine as well?

• P
    Pommie ·
    • Hide content

AQIS are strict: they x-ray all parcels to identify "organic matter" (we watch Border Security/Nothing to Declare!).

Cannot bring in anything contains eggs/poultry- Avian flu; fruit; seeds/cuttings; soil ;meat ; dairy only if for a baby or heavily processed ingredient in certain products.

Regulations also change from time to time. I emailed them a couple of years ago to see if I could import delicious Primula cheese spread...they emailed back to say 'yes' but that was before mad cow 2nd outbreak!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics