Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hepburn
Beginner August 2008

Serious toothache....

Hepburn, 29 of July of 2009 at 10:28 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

I've got an infection on my gum where my wisdom tooth on one side has half come through, my cheek and gums are swollen on one side and I have what resembles a massive blood blister on the gum at the back. I can hardly talk, can't eat anything apart from liquids and am in some serious pain...

Dentist gave me Corsodyl mouthwash and gel yesterday but no antibiotics, and said to just take paracetamol or other painkillers.

Today it's worse than yesterday and the Paracetamol with Codeine isn't touching the pain, whereas yesterday the tablets were working fine.

Is there anything stronger I can take?? Or should I be calling the dentist again as it's much worse...? She did say it would take 2-3 days to sort itself out but I'm literally wanting to cry with the pain...

HRML what do I do??

TIA x

8 replies

Latest activity by Hannah, 8 of July of 2021 at 11:42
  • P
    Protostar ·
    • Hide content

Poor you. I don't know what's available over the counter that's stronger than paracetamol and codine - though there may well be something. NHS direct may be able to advise. Could you or someone on your behalf, call the dentist for advise, rather than you having to uproot yourself only to be told to rest etc.

Poor you. It sounds agony.

• lyni
    Beginner October 2008
    lyni ·
    • Hide content

Poor you, sounds awful.

My H has had toothache on and off for the past week and has been using clove oil on it (has an appointment for next week), which has helped slightly.

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

Oil of cloves is good for toothache, but it sounds like the pain here is from the infected gum itself.

Codeine is one of the strongest (over the counter) painkillers going, so there is nothing else you could just buy. IIRC the acidic environment caused by the infection seriously reduced the efficacy of most pain-killers.

If you can live with it for another day, I'd probably give my body a chance to fight the infection, if not, a quick call to your dentist is probably in order.

• Hepburn
    Beginner August 2008
    Hepburn ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, I will continue with the mouthwash and gel that I've got for today and see how it is tomorrow. If it's no better I will call the dentist again and see what they say.

It has only been about 30 hours since the infection started so I'll treat it today as advised and see how I get on. Might pop to the chemist at lunch and check that I'm using the best painkillers available over the counter.

It's just so painful! And I've not slept properly since the infection appeared so I'm also shattered which isn't helping... ☹️

Thank you everyone! x

• Hepburn
    Beginner August 2008
    Hepburn ·
    • Hide content

Just a little update, the pain and swelling have got worse throughout the day so I called the dentist who has now given me amoxycillin (sp?) which should help....? I never knew toothache could be this painful! ☹️

• Dooby
    Beginner
    Dooby ·
    • Hide content

You poor thing that sounds really awful, toothache is just the worst!

Mr Dooby had a wisdom tooth taken out a couple of weeks ago and he was prescribed amoxycillin for that, along with paracetamol and he tells me if definitely did help. Luckily he didn't have any infection present just a gaping big hole in his gum but it did the job. Another thing that I got him was some arnica tablets just to gently dissolve in his mouth as it was pretty swollen and i should imagine bruised inside. They helped to calm things down a bit.

Hope you're on the mend very soon otherwise I think you'd best get back to the dentist.

? <very gentle and avoiding ouchy tooth>

• Old Nick Esq.
    Old Nick Esq. ·
    • Hide content

Short term... Cross dose the Cocodamol with Ibuprofen.

Whiskey.... Yes drinking it is helpful, but I'd watch it if your paracetemol doses are high.... Anyhow, big mouthful, sloosh, hold as long as you can and either spit or swallow depending how you feel.

? That's the first time I've ever offered a stranger that choice without getting hit.

Also, slightly leftfield, but I've found it to work on occasion. Put an ice cube in the web between your thumb and first finger on the side opposite from the pain.

• Hepburn
    Beginner August 2008
    Hepburn ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Dooby, will definitely try and get some arnica tablets tomorrow, good idea. ? x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics