Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2017

Serving wedding cake

SunnyGreenConfetti675, 4 of November of 2016 at 10:15 Posted on Planning 0 8

I always thought cake got served after the speeches or is it before the first dance? Also not sure on the size of the cake to order? I was going to have it just for the day guests. However now I am confused. Do people eat the wedding cake - not sure we want a traditional cake as we are not fruit cake lovers. It is a waste having a big cake? I am worried getting my SIL to make the cake and it be left and wasted, we are going on honeymoon the day after the wedding so won't be able to take it with us.

8 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 5 of November of 2016 at 15:05
  • L
    Beginner June 2017
    Lou37 ·
    • Hide content

I say do what you want!

We are doing the obligatory cutting the cake but it wont be served til the buffet in the evening as I dont see the point in paying for desserts when I have a chuffing big cake to serve at least then it will likely get eaten

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that's quite a popular way to do it (at least I've been to a couple of weddings who do that)!

OP - Cutting of the cake is quite often after the speeches/wedding breakfast, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't go off piste and serve it before speeches. I know I usually never have any wedding cake as I'm too drunk by the time it's put out.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    SunnyGreenConfetti675 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Lou37 - that is a great idea!!

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on if you are having day/evening guests or everyone is there for the entire day. If you are having extra guests in the evening, then I'd say cut the cake after the evening guests arrive before the first dance. If everyone is there all day think it becomes more flexible as then it's just when you want to do it without time constraints.

My mum made a fruit cake, and we ordered a sponge cake (almond sponge with apricot jam and marzipan as the filling) unfortunately the wedding took a major back seat in the 2/3 weeks leading up to it and our cake didn't get served up either of them, we have the obligatory photo. It was supposed to be after the speeches with coffee, which again didn't come. I say if you want the cake, have 2 tiers, one fruit and one sponge, and get some little take home cake boxes and hand out cake like party bags if you are worried about the cake spoiling.

• L
    Beginner June 2017
    Lou37 ·
    • Hide content

My buffet is in another room so if the cake seems to be forgotten about because everyone is drinking and dancing i plan to get my younger bridesmaids to walk round table to table with a plate full and some napkins!!

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

That's a great idea, and I LOVE it when food is handed out. It seems more sociable for some reason!

• D
    Beginner December 2016
    DB2016 ·
    • Hide content

We had a meeting at our venue yesterday and the wedding coordinator told us that the most popular way is to cut it just before the first dance and then they serve 1/2 with the evening buffet and if that all goes then cut some more up to serve.

But, its your wedding and your cake so go with what works for you I say!

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what I'm hoping to do. Anything left we'll take on our mini-moon! ?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had my wedding during my honeymoon so the cake went with m in my luggage. As there were only four of us we handed it round in the hotel bar with napkins I also packed. The rest we pigged oot on all week.

So you can always foil wrap a big chunk Lou to take with you ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics