Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

samidolls
Beginner September 2015

Share your wedding readings *UPDATED- We've finally picked some!*

samidolls, 19 of January of 2015 at 19:39 Posted on Planning 0 15

So we are trying to find something none religious to have read at the wedding. I've seen one I like, but I would like a second reading aswell.

We want something that somebody else can read so nothing with "we" or "I" where it would make more sense for a couple to read it to each other.

The first reading we have chosen is the Ent song from LOTR.

SO......

please lovely people share what reading you had or are having!

15 replies

Latest activity by kizzi10000, 6 of February of 2015 at 06:25
  • Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

We had four! We had two readings picked out, then added in one to go with our hand-fasting, then the celebrant asked us for one to go alongside the ring warming so we picked another which another bride-to-be had posted on here.

Reading 1 - The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

At that moment, it seemed to him that time stood still. When he looked into her eyes, and saw that her lips were poised between a laugh and silence, he learned the most important part of the language that all the world spoke – the language that everyone on earth was capable of understanding in their heart. It was love. Something older than humanity, more ancient than the desert. Something that exerted the same force whenever two pairs of eyes met, as had theirs here. It was the pure Language of the World. It required no explanation, just as the universe needs none as it travels through endless time. What he felt in that moment was that he was in the presence of the only woman in his life and that, with no need for words, she recognised the same thing.

Reading 2 - ‘Hour’ by Carol Ann Duffy

Love’s time’s beggar, but even a single hour,

bright as a dropped coin, makes love rich.

We find an hour together, spend it not on flowers

or wine, but the whole of the summer sky and a grass ditch.

For thousands of seconds we kiss; your hair

like treasure on the ground; the Midas light

turning your limbs to gold. Time slows, for here

we are millionaires, backhanding the night

so nothing dark will end our shining hour,

no jewel hold a candle to the cuckoo spit

hung from the blade of grass at your ear,

no chandelier or spotlight see you better lit

than here. Now. Times hates love, wants love poor,

but love spins gold, gold, gold from straw.

Reading 3 (ring warming)

Maybe... we are supposed to meet the wrong people before meeting the right one so that, when we finally meet the right person, we will know how to be grateful for that gift.

Maybe... it is true that we don't know what we have got until we lose it, but it is also true that we don't know what we have been missing until it arrives.

Maybe... the happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.

Maybe... the best kind of love is the kind where you can sit on a sofa together and never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.

Maybe... you shouldn't go for looks; they can deceive. Don't go for wealth; even that fades away. Go for someone who makes you smile, because it takes only a smile to make a dark day seem bright.

Maybe... you should hope for enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human, and enough hope to make you happy.

Maybe... love is not about finding the perfect person, it's about learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.

Reading 4 (handfasting)

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow and forever.

These are the hands that will work alongside yours, as together you build your future.

These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other.

These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief fills your mind.

These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes; tears of sorrow and tears of joy.

These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children.

These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one.

These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it.

And lastly, these are the hands that, even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, still giving the you same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

• jennybob
    Beginner April 2015
    jennybob ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in church but are having one none religious reading which is 'In that still and settled place' by edward monkton. Short simple and sweet. I really liked the extract from the velveteen rabbit but my OH didn't like so much Smiley smile xx

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

We are having one reading, (H"B didn't want any, so we compromised,) and it will either be My Love is Like a Red Red Rose by Robert Burns, or a passage from Captain Corelli's Mandolin;

“Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion, it is not the desire to mate every second minute of the day, it is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every cranny of your body. No, don't blush, I am telling you some truths. That is just being "in love", which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.”

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

Having said that - I just sent Melancholie's reading from The Alchemist to my OH and he LOVES it! I think this might be our reading now! ?

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

We're having 'A lovely love story' by Edward Monkton - am considering asking a couple to read it between them as there are kind of two 'parts' in it. Not sure if that will be crap or not. This one is OH's favourite.

And then this which is my favourite: Union by Robert Fulghum -

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making commitments in an informal way. All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, “When we’re married”, and continued with “I will” and “you will” and “we will” – all those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe” – and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.

The symbolic vows that you are about to make are a way of saying to one another, “You know all those things that we’ve promised, and hoped, and dreamed – well, I meant it all, every word.”

Look at one another and remember this moment in time. Before this moment you have been many things to one another – acquaintance, friend, companion, lover, dancing partner, even teacher, for you have learned much from one another these past few years. Shortly you shall say a few words that will take you across a threshold of life, and things between you will never quite be the same.

For after today you shall say to the world –
    This is my husband. This is my wife.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Wow, I love Union, Laurafish. Getting emotional!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I love Union too - and it tells my story perfectly!! I'm now looking ta my vows to see about changing my readings - oops - would have to tweak though as we're having the sensible reading after the vows.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

We had quite a few readings ... they are all in my wedding report linked in my signature - all in Bold Italics

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Ahh some nice ones here...We're also having Union - it suits us, n it makes me feel nice emotional without being sickly sweet!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Pammy67 - this link has two different versions depending on if it's before or after the vows https://idoweddings.net/Romantic_readings.html

• samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content

We have finally picked our readings, and scrapped the Ent song!

we have chosen the following:

A Lovely Love Story

The fierce Dinosaur was trapped inside his cage of ice.

Although it was cold he was happy in there. It was, after all, his cage.

Then along came the Lovely Other Dinosaur.

The Lovely Other Dinosaur melted the Dinosaur’s cage with kind words and loving thoughts.

I like this Dinosaur thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur.

Although he is fierce he is also tender and he is funny.

He is also quite clever though I will not tell him this for now.

I like this Lovely Other Dinosaur, thought the Dinosaur.

She is beautiful and she is different and she smells so nice.

She is also a free spirit which is a quality I much admire in a dinosaur.

But he can be so distant and so peculiar at times, thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur.

He is also overly fond of things.

Are all Dinosaurs so overly fond of things?

But her mind skips from here to there so quickly thought the Dinosaur.

She is also uncommonly keen on shopping.

Are all Lovely Other Dinosaurs so uncommonly keen on shopping?

I will forgive his peculiarity and his concern for things, thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur.

For they are part of what makes him a richly charactered individual.

I will forgive her skipping mind and her fondness for shopping, thought the Dinosaur.

For she fills our life with beautiful thoughts and wonderful surprises. Besides,

I am not unkeen on shopping either.

Now the Dinosaur and the Lovely Other Dinosaur are old.

Look at them.

Together they stand on the hill telling each other stories and feeling the warmth of the sun on their backs.

And that, my friends, is how it is with love.

Let us all be Dinosaurs and Lovely Other Dinosaurs together.

For the sun is warm.

And the world is a beautiful place

Oh the Place You’ll Go – Dr. Seuss

Congratulations!
    Today is your day.
    You’re off to great places!
    You’re off and away!
    You have brains in your head.
    You have feet in your shoes.
    You can steer yourself
    any direction you choose.
    You’re on your own. And you know what you know.
    And YOU are the couple who’ll decide where to go.
    You’ll look up and down streets. Look ‘em over with care.
    About some you will say, “We don’t choose to go there.”
    With your heads full of brains and your shoes full of feet,
    you’re too smart to go down, any not-so-good street.
    And you may not find any
    you’ll want to go down.
    In that case, of course,
    you’ll head straight out of town.
    It’s opener there
    in the wide open air,
    Out there things can happen
    and frequently do
    to people as brainy
    and footsy as you.
    And when things start to happen,
    don’t worry. Don’t stew.
    Just go right along.
    You’ll start happening too.
    OH! THE PLACES YOU’LL GO!
    You’ll be on your way up!
    You’ll be seeing great sights!
    You’ll join the high fliers
    who soar to great heights!
    You won’t lag behind, because you’ll have all the speed.
    You’ll pass the whole gang, and you’ll soon take the lead.
    Wherever you fly you’ll be best of the best.
    Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.
    Except when you don’t.
    Because sometimes, you won’t.
    You’ll get mixed up of course,
    as you already know.
    You’ll get mixed up
    with so many strange birds as you go.
    So be sure when you step.
    Step with great care and great tact
    and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act.
    Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
    And never mix up your right foot with your left.
    And will you succeed?
    Yes! You will indeed!
    (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed.)
    KIDS, YOU’LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!
    So, be your name Buxbaum or Dowrie or Bass
    or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O’Shea,
    you’re off to great places!
    Today is your day!
    Your mountain is waiting.
    So … get on your way!

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Aww, I love Edward Monkton ?. I was going to buy the OH that book as a present, to go with the Love Monkey one I bought him last year. Have you seen 'In that still and settled place'? Amazon have it on a coaster

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

We're having a lovely love story too- the books will be thank you's for our special people.

• samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content

Call me naive but i just googled alternative wedding readings and found them, eventually!!

I never realised it was him! and I even have the cow of wisdom bookmark!

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    Aquiescence* ·
    • Hide content

I'm so happy to have seen this thread. This is very much at the top of our to do list and no ideas as yet with just over 2 months to go and haven't asked anyone to read. I love 'union' so that is some fantastic inspiration, thank you. Keep them coming!

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol. My mum has his stuff all over the place and we've had bits for presents before.

I love Rob Ryan too. My fella bought me 'This is for you' for Christmas a couple of years ago and it made me cry! Looking to incorporate some of both their work in the venue decorations somehow

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics