Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holey
Beginner July 2011

Shellac vs. Opi Gel

Holey, 28 of April of 2014 at 21:47 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

Are there pros/cons to either of these? I want to have my nails done and the salon offers both (for the same price) but don't really know which is best.

Also do your nails have to be quite long to get it done? I've had it done before but my nails were a decent length but at the moment some of mine are below the top of my finger if that makes sense.

Thanks!

12 replies

Latest activity by daisymoo86, 6 of May of 2014 at 09:02
  • DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

I don't know which is best but Shellac is the most common I think, although I'd always loved OPI regular polishes.

Your nails don't have to be a certain length as it is like a normal polish just cured with a lamp and lasts longer. If you want extra length you would need to request extensions or if you have time go for a few rounds of Shellac as it stops your own nails breaking so they can grow with a bit of support!

I do mu own gels at home (sensationail) and I can grow a fair bit of length in 2 weeks so you don't need much time.

• C
    Beginner
    casgup ·
    • Hide content

This is very strange. Just painted my horrible, brittle, weak, peeling nails with nailtiques formula 2 after having shellac on my nails for months.

I had tried both, but found opi chipoed off quite quickly. While it was on, I loved it. My nails were so long and lush. Not so much now I've stopped! Anyway, now I'm left to deal with the consequences. I hope my poor old nails recover.

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

Shellac CND is the only true Shellac product. It is more hard wearing than other products and more importantly comes off more easily with acetone than other copy brands so less damage to your nails. Don't bother with others.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I've had both and haven't really noticed any difference, just different brands really.

Your nails don't have to be long. I sometimes get it when I want to grow my nails as I can't bite them when they've got gel on!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I have mine done with GELeration by Jessica. Its brilliant.

I had them done with another gel before and I hated it. It peeled off and was a bit of a rubbish colour!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I have mine done with GELeration by Jessica. Its brilliant.

I had them done with another gel before and I hated it. It peeled off and was a bit of a rubbish colour!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Shellac creeps me out cos of what it is. I've never had gel, but probably will before the wedding. At the moment I'm using Butter London Horse Power Nail Fertiliser after I read a great review - it costs £17 though, I saved my Boots points religiously to get it!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I've never had shellac or OPI but I also do mine at home with Sensationail kit. It's brilliant. My nails were terrible and always broke but with the gel on they grow brilliantly. Admittedly when I take the gel off they feel a little weak but no worse than they were before. I hate not having gel on now.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

There both the same really. People will say it's weakened their nail bed but it's not the product that does it, it's the using of acetone and buffing when taking them off that causes it.

Inkedoll you don't fancy a bit of Beatle poo on your fingers then? Haha.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha, no! I mean it's more a secretion...and just the word secretion...urgh.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Too funny. Secretion I like the word.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretion

Secretion is the process of elaborating, releasing, and oozing chemicals, or a secretedchemical substance from a cell or gland. In contrast to excretion, the ...

just not the definition.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I haven't tried either. Friends have told me that Shellac is amazing.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

I had Calgel nails done at the weekend and I love them!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics