Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SillyWrong
Beginner October 2014

Shellac vs other gels?

SillyWrong, 8 of September of 2014 at 13:23 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

Is shellac really better than other gel nails? Is it just down to the skill of the person who applies it?

8 replies

Latest activity by Rod, 9 of September of 2014 at 10:21
  • Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I thought it was just a different brand, like Nails Inc and Sally Hansen for example?

I've had both done professionally and I think I liked the Shellac better but then as you say it could've just been the lady was better at it.

so, really helpful ?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Ha - thanks Smiley smile I've had a few different ones put on, one my friend did which was lovely (but it could have been because she spent extra time getting it perfect!?) can't remember which brand that was, then I paid a fortune in Debenhams for Nails Inc (about £40 I think!?) and it was rubbish 3 times (I was talked in to paying for 3 treatments for a discount!)

I've heard Shellac is the best, but I don't know if that's true or just snobbery!?

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

The shellac company push the idea that shellac doesn't damage your natural nail but that other gels do. I have had both shellac and nails inc gel nails. I thought both damaged my nails even though I had them removed properly. They seemed to leech the strength out of my nails which is possibly due to the curing and the acetone removal? The nails inc was definitely thicker than the shellac which meant that it seemed to peel at the edges more readily.

Found this which might explain it: https://www.thecut.com/2012/10/beauty-qa-how-do-a-gel-mani-shellac-differ.html

The skill of the person may also make a difference as they do gently buff the surface of your nail to allow the gel to stick. If the person is too vigorous they could remove too much. I have also had a nails inc one where I complained as the nail technician had applied the polish too thickly so it dried in ripples on the nails. They looked such a mess. But it was just a case of having it done again.

Is this final prep for the big day? ?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No! Shellac is a whole different ingredient to chemical gels. It's made from beetle secretions. They also use it to make fruit skin and sweets (like Skittles) glossy.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes. I've also been googling 'teeth whitening' this morning, I have my second lesson for contact lenses tonight (didn't manage to get any in at all during my last 45 minute lesson) and am also off in search of some good magic pants this evening, before a sun bed session. I am determined to look nothing like me on my wedding day ?

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I don't know anything about shellac but I've got bio sculpture gels and they don't damage my actual nails at all. They actually allow my nails to grow really nicely underneath.

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

You are potentially talking about 2 different types of product.

Shellac is a gel polish, that comes in a bottle like nail polish, is applied like polish with a brush that is part of the bottle and has to be cured with a lamp, whereas the 3 week manicure at Nails Inc is nail gel, and comes in a pot and is applied with a separate brush (at least it was when I last had my nails done there). The stuff they use (or used to use) at Nails Inc is similar to Calgel and Bio Sculpture gel.

However, if you are talking about the difference between products like Shellac, Jessica Geleration, Gelish etc etc, which are all gel polishes, then yes, they are all the same thing but just different brands. Shellac is the brand name for the gel polish made by CND I think.

Some are definitely better than others, (you can buy a shellac based polish very cheaply on e bay) but it will also have something to do with how well they are applied. Like someone else has said if they are applied too thickly they wont last. It does also depend on your nails though, if your nails are naturally quite oily then it wont last as long I have been told and like everything else for us ladies, your nails can be affected by time of the month hormones. I do my own gel nails at home and also some of my friends and I use a brand called Cuccio Colour Veneer, I prefer it to Shellac but I have had Shellac done before and it has been fine and lasted for a few weeks.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Despite research I have yet to determine what gel products like Gelish are actually made of. At least shellac is a well-known animal ingredient already (or it is if you're a vegan!) I'm gonna need to do more reading before I want mine done for my wedding...

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I've found Geleration to be better than Shellac, but that might be the technician. I have my own lamp etc now and as long as you apply it correctly and properly it lasts ages and stays shiny. I love having gel nail polish cos its dry instantly and doesn't chip!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics