Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2016

Shop Bought Cakes

Mrs-Riley, 29 of February of 2016 at 11:46 Posted on Planning 0 9

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with shop bought cakes for their wedding instead of the traditional three tier cake, and where is tasty/cost effective?

We are going to be having a 'deconstructed wedding cake' - essentially, three or four cakes on a table, nicely decorated and on cake stands - instead of the traditional cake. I've been looking and M&S have a really great selection of celebration cakes with lots of different flavours and designs, and for good prices each - see here if you're interested; http://www.marksandspencer.com/l/food-and-wine/all-cakes

I also know Costco do large cakes, but I've never been there before. I'm gonna go check it out at some point- has anyone had one? Do they look nice (I'm not looking for fancy) and taste good?

Does anyone else know of places that do nice cakes, ready made?

9 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 1 of March of 2016 at 14:34
    Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

You will need to be a member to be able to buy Costco items so have a look at their eligibilty critera and if you are only going for a cake it will work out expensive as it costs £55 off the top of my head for the basic membership.

M&S and Waitrose do nice cakes albeit expensive, but have a look at Tesco as they used to do traditional iced cakes that had different tier sizes. No sure if they still do.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Costco cakes are delicious!

Their Carrot Cake is especially lush! You do need to be a member though, so you need to check out the criteria.

Alternatively, if you know someone who is already a member, you can go with them as their +1

M&S cakes are also delicious - I know a few people who have gone that route and loved it Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My in-laws are members, so I'd buy through them Smiley smile £55 is so expensive for a membership isn't it?!

I'm not too fussed on plain white iced cakes I don't think (maybe one for a fruit cake so there's a bit variety). M&S have some indulgent looking coffee and chocolate cakes, so maybe something like that. Also some mini cupcakes.

We have about £100 to spend on filling a table with cake to use as dessert for 50 people and then hopefully be some leftovers for the evening buffet.

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

We got our cake from M&S -> http://www.marksandspencer.com/shimmering-hoop-chocolate-wedding-cake-dark-and-gold-/p/p60058199?prevPage=plp

It was delicious, I had about four pieces (had been crazy dieting beforehand mind).

Word of warning though, the cake was all joined up when we picked it up. We thought we'd have to spend the day assembling tiers, but it was already put together and the icing over top was seamless, i.e. you couldn't have separated the cakes underneath. We just put the big choc hoops on and it was done. Something to bear in mind if you do order one, as you want to have the tiers separated ??

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, that's okay.

We weren't thinking of getting a tiered one and then separating it- just getting individual cakes! Your cake looked lush btw.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

The M&S wedding cakes are delicious. My friend had a chocolate one with white ruffle icing. They're expensive though so I don't think that your £100 would stretch far unless you just bought their regular cakes? So lemon drizzle cake etc etc and placed them on a table X

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

Can you approach a local bakery? Our local bakery does amazing cakes and they're really reasonably priced. It might be nice to have bespoke flavours/fillings rather than whatever is on sale in M&S?

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It doesn't matter because you're going to use your in laws card, but just thought I'd clarify that membership is only £30, I've had a card in the past. £55 is for 'Executive membership' whatever that means...

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love the look of this cake! If I hadn't already ordered one then I would definitely be going for this one.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is my favourite cake! No way could I have packed that for Lapland tho! Unless it was in my tum ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics