Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner September 2006

Shop class - A1/A2/A3 use... can anyone help!?

EmmaLouLou, 27 January, 2009 at 21:09 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

Sorry to crash... am normally a BTer but was after some advice please?

I am in the process of opening a "play cafe". Basically this will be a coffee shop/sandwich bar which will have soft play areas for children up to the age of 7. I am unsure of how shops are "classed". I know that an A1 can trade as a sandwich bar however there are restrictions with regards to how much hot food/drink is sold and how many people can sit and eat. Can anyone offer me more information on this? Also can an A2 trade as an A1 and is an A3 more "restaurant" than cafe?

Many thanks!

18 replies

Latest activity by Bethsan, 19 November, 2012 at 10:41
  • M
    Beginner
    Mrs JMP ·
    • Hide content

Can't help on shop class.

But your not far from me, where are you planning on opening?

Similar one opened in Hornchurch last year.

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

Not Sherry, Pink Han-bag stealing the laptop!

The best thing to do would be to speak to your local planning office before you put in the application so you can be sure that it is dealt with as quickly as possible. The planning officer should be able to tell you exactly which classification to put on the application forms. Also try www.planning.gov.uk for further information. It may well be that the planning office advise that the use is put down as sui generis as it doesn't fall clearly into one category.

I'm an ex planner but haven't practised for some time now so excuse haziness.

Han xxx

• E
    Beginner September 2006
    EmmaLouLou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Am looking for premises on the stretch between Wanstead through to Epping... just can't find exactly what I want at the moment. Junglee Fun? It is pretty grim to be honest but love the concept behind it and it is always packed.

• E
    Beginner September 2006
    EmmaLouLou ·
    • Hide content

Thanks PH-B... planning office are being very "vague" and until I find my premises they can't really offer any reassurance as to whether the idea would be acceptable. I'm worried that I find somewhere, start paying rent only for them to reject the idea..

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh I'm with you. It's a shame they won't work with you in helping you determine an appropriate location for your business. Can I ask which department you met with?

Han xxx

• E
    Beginner September 2006
    EmmaLouLou ·
    • Hide content

I've only spoken to Epping Forest planning dept over the phone (to be fair when we extended our house last year they were not the most helpful then either!) but their Enviromental Health department were fab!

x

• M
    Beginner
    Mrs JMP ·
    • Hide content

Wanstead would be ideal.

George Lane I would say would be hit & miss

Queen's Rd, bad parking

Loughton is odd, friend owns Mode & has noticed a shift in clients over the last year.

What type of location do you fancy?

I'm trying to get a friend of ours to open up her children's shop in Brentwood , like a mini Daisy & Tom - They have found a place (the old moben showroom), but are waiting to see about one further up ,as it has parking outside.

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

If you don't have any luck with the development control planning dept it might be worthwhile trying the local plans dept. They are the people that develop the forward plan for the area and might well be able to help you in suggesting a suitable location for your prospective business. I always think it's a good idea to have the planning dept onside from the start.

Han xxx

• E
    Beginner September 2006
    EmmaLouLou ·
    • Hide content

Mrs JMP... your thoughts are exactly the ones I have!

Would love Wanstead... it has such a "villagey" feel... and one of the few places locally where independantly run businesses survive! I have looked at the shop for let between Tescos and Belgique on Woodford High Rd.. but am having some issues with conficting businesses interests (bet the little grocers didn't have a say with good old Tescos!)...

Seen a perfect property in Queens Road but parking is a worry... although benefits from the nursery. I'm having problems with the shop class with that one..

Loughton is odd... and expensive rental wise! Ooooh I like Mode! They changed premises recently didn't they?

I did think of Brentwood actually... just seems a bit far commuting wise! x

• E
    Beginner September 2006
    EmmaLouLou ·
    • Hide content

Oh that sounds like a good idea... thank you, I will get in touch.

Epping planning are such toughies!! I swear when we were doing our house up and they sent people round I would actually make an effort to look smart and made up in the hope they might go easy on our plans! In the end it was 6 months post building work they issued our certificate! haha

x

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

That sounds like building control rather than planning permission as you cannot commence building without planning permission.

You can also submit an enquiry to the planning office and they have 2 weeks to provide a written reply so in theory you could write to them stating what your business would be and a few of the possible locations and they would have to reply to you with an indication as to whether that site would be suitable for the business you propose. Obviously it's not a guarantee but it's a fair indication as to whether you application would be approved or rejected. I think you do need confirmation from them as to what use class you would be as you may not need planning permission in that respect (although you will for material changes ie to the frontage).

If a premises already has a use class of A3 or A2 then you do not need planning permission to use it as A1. I'm reluctant to offer too much advice as I've been out of the planning world for some time now and I would always suggest the LPA are the most appropriate for advice anyway.

Han xxx

• HaloHoney
    Beginner July 2007
    HaloHoney ·
    • Hide content

MrHalo (chartered surveyor in commercial property) suggests you contact the council re: specifics, but he says as a general rule you do not need planning permission to use an A2 premesis as an A1, nor an A3 as an A2 etc. You can't go from A1 to A2 or A2 to A3 without planning permission. You should check the lease, speak with the local authority and check the user clause of any lease before you go any further with it to check there are no restrictions on what the property can be used for.

HTH

?

As a rough guide, A1 is retail, A2 is banks/shops used as offices, A3 sit-down restaurants, A4 wine bars and A5 hot food takeaway.

• M
    Beginner
    Mrs JMP ·
    • Hide content

Mode has 2 shops now.

What about around Woodford Station - Monkhams side.

Brentwood not that far (going through Abridge, it's 15mins from Sytner) & I know it would be a place well used, but then again, Rossi's is used the same way except without a play area.

I gather you are trying to create Gladley's with a play area?

• E
    Beginner September 2006
    EmmaLouLou ·
    • Hide content

Monkhams side would be great.. I keep seeing businesses round there and have to try really hard to not wish them out of business!

No I suppose not..

Yes more or less... Gladley's meets Kidz Korner. God that sounds horrific written down!!!

Am logging off now but appreciate anymore thoughts or comments.
    Cheers

• B
    Beginner
    Bethsan ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

I know this message comes after a long time, bt just wondering if you've sorted it all out and what licence did you get for it please? Also any other tips would be absolutely great! Many thanks

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What info do you need?...I work in Environmental Health so deal with planning apps relating to food businesses so may be able to help.

• B
    Beginner
    Bethsan ·
    • Hide content

Hey, many thanks for your response. Have found an A1 unit that I like. Am looking to sell ready salad, fresh juice and some snacks, tea and coffee. Would like to have panini's as well but not sure if that's allowed in an A1 unit. Would like to include a soft play area within the unit for kids btw 1-5 yo. What sort of environmental factors do i need to consider over all please? Also can I include a soft play within an A1 unit or so I need to change it to B2? Really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/changeofuse/

The above gives you an overall summary.

Generally all the food activity you describe would be permitted under A1 use i.e. just the service of drinks and light snacks use of microwaves, sandwich toasters etc but not full cooking with fryers, hobs etc. The reason for this is the risk of nuisance from odour to neighbouring properties.... A3 & A5 properties generally have a commercial extractor system (which has to have its own permissions for ducting, flues etc).

I'm not 100% sure about the soft play thing best to have a chat to your local planning office. (If it did require a change of use for the soft play I wouldn't imagine it would be very difficult to obtain this).

The below link gives a few other points to consider when running a food business.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/publication/startingup0310a.pdf

• B
    Beginner
    Bethsan ·
    • Hide content

Wow! How helpful are you! Really touched with all your help. Thank you sooooooo much! Appreciate it a lot!

Will look into the attached sites now and will also phone up the council to hear their thoughts.

Thanks heaps.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics