Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner March 2016

Shopping for a wedding dress in the North West - any recommendations?

dinkydanni123, 22 of April of 2015 at 13:16 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm doing this right!

I'm getting married 5th March 2016 in Windermere and I'm currently on the hunt for my dream dress!

I had my first shopping trip in Chester on Saturday and it wasn't very successful. I think I picked the wrong shop as the whole experience wasn't that enjoyable, it was a little odd. I've written a blog about it if anyone is interested:

http://dinkydanni.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/wedding-dress-shopping-round-one.html

Does anyone have any wedding shop recommendations in the following areas:

• Merseyside
  • Cheshire
  • Greater Manchester
  • South Cumbria

Thanks in advance! Danielle x

11 replies

Latest activity by Asmurfette, 24 of April of 2015 at 14:54
  • Happily_married_mrsM
    Beginner September 2016
    Happily_married_mrsM ·
    • Hide content

Hello. I'm going to be no help what so ever really.

There is 3 wedding dress shops in kendal (5 miles from windermere) but I'm just thinking of fittings it might be along way to travel depending on where you are.

Where are you getting married at? I'm having my reception and night do in (going by there address windermere) but I class it as ambleside. Smiley smile xx

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarah.jones ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome, exciting that you have set the date, now the fun can begin. As for recommendations about dress shops, I only have one its Wed2b in Bolton simply because I bought my dress from there. I was put off going into "proper" bridal shops because I'm an older, bigger bride (which you are clearly not !!) but I know I would have found these types of shops too intimidating. Web2b is an outlet, ie the dresses you try on are the dresses you buy and take home, no ordering etc, prices are reasonable too at around £400. Granted it's not everyone's cup of tea but the staff were really lovely and there was no pressure to buy at all.

I'm sure you will get lots of good recommendations from other ladies on here as I only visited one shop I'm not exactly a mine of useful information! For what it's worth I think you did exactly the right thing by walking away on that occasion. Good luck & flash a pic of your dream dress x

• D
    Beginner March 2016
    dinkydanni123 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, thanks for your reply Smiley smile

Ooh I live quite near Kendal actually! Do you know the names of them? Have you been to them?

I'm getting married at Storrs Hall, so excited! How about you? When is your big day? xx

• Happily_married_mrsM
    Beginner September 2016
    Happily_married_mrsM ·
    • Hide content

There is

frothimoon.

Marrime

Family affair

I haven't been to any yet but, I have heard good things about all 3.

I love storrs Hall.

I'm having mine at the Low wood on the 10th September next year. So ages away Smiley sad

Xx

• D
    Beginner March 2016
    dinkydanni123 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah,

Yes I completely understand what you mean about those shops being intimidating.

I have never heard of Web2b but it sounds really interesting, especially the way you don't have to order it in. I couldn't believe it when the lady in the shop I went to said it would take 12 months to order in, that just sounds so excessive!

Having a nice experience with lovely staff and no pressure is what I'm after so I'm definitely going to look into that outlet. Thank you so much for your recommendation.

xx

• D
    Beginner March 2016
    dinkydanni123 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh thanks! I think I'll definitely pop along to all three because they would also be so handy for alterations!

I love the Low Wood, what a fabulous venue and I've only ever heard great things about it!

I bet the time will fly by, September will be here before you know it Smiley smile xx

• Asmurfette
    Beginner September 2015
    Asmurfette ·
    • Hide content

It could be a trek, but the shop i went to is called The Bridal Room, in St Helens,(merseyside) i was totally terrified but the lady was lovely and i found my perfect dress in there, the first shop i went to... she has a ton of off the rail bargains, mine was only £350!!

And while you are around this way you could take a look at Copplestones Bridal in Liverpool which i've heard really good things about, this was going to be my next port of call but didn't need it in the end.

Here's some links:

http://www.thebridalroomsthelens.co.uk/

http://www.bridalbasement.co.uk/

• D
    Beginner March 2016
    dinkydanni123 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh thanks for this! St Helens is quite handy for my mum's, so I'll definitely investigate! That's fabulous that you found your perfect dress in your first shop! Congrats Smiley smile

I've heard lots about Copplestones so I think I'll pay them a visit too.

Thanks so much for the advice xx

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsFRtobe ·
    • Hide content

Not quite Kendal but Ive got my dress form a fantastic place in Lancaster called the bridal collection. Im plus size and was dreading trying on gowns but they were amazing and made me feel a million dollars. highly recommended!

• L
    Beginner April 2017
    lyn-lyn ·
    • Hide content

Soontobeasmurfette I have just noticed you got you dress from the bridal rooms in St. Helens. Would you recommend using them? I am undecided between 2 dresses one of them is from that shop but the sample they have is to big so I would have to have one ordered. I only live about 2-3 miles away from this shop and drive past the top of the road every day on my way to work so ordering from there would be ideal. Also did you have any alterations done by them?

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

Am from merseyside and from other family members and friends I can recommend Copplestones Bridal. Its in the city center by the metquarter. My cousin picked up a bargain as did my hairdresser from there. I really love Brides Of Liverpool in Williamson Square (Also city center). It's a little more pricey but sells the higher end dresses like Pronovias. I went to another shop in Liverpool and the dresses were nice but nothing amazing and the service was ok but wasn't great. It didn't feel 100% professional and they made me change right down into my underwear infront of the woman (a bit embrassing). Brides of liverpool was the opposite, couldn't do enough, everything I tried on was amazing and I didn't feel rushed at all.

• Asmurfette
    Beginner September 2015
    Asmurfette ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi chick, yeah am just in prescot so very local to me.. I literally went in on a random day off work to get some experience before i went into liverpool to go to copplestones... however, she had the perfect dress for me... The lady was amazing, This was only a week or so ago though. i have only put deposit down. But they will do doing alterations nearer the time.. but as yet i can't comment on that.

What i can say though is they have been really helpful with me messaging and calling in with a million random questions.

I've read reviews (somewhere) which have all been good, so if you can find the dress you want there and its local i'd say go for it x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics