Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L

Shops going bust - please read

LoopyLoo HIB, 18 of December of 2008 at 21:33 Posted on Planning 0 46

I'm a lurker not a poster, but after reading an earlier post about another shop going into administration, I would like to take this opportunity to say something that may be quite controversial.

Most bridal retailers are independant, and have have got into the business because they love it and feel passionate about it. I have a lot of friends in the industry, and we are all feeling the squeeze of the credit crunch but trying really hard to ride the storm. Money is tight for everyone right now, but one thing that is more apparent to us retailers than ever before (and this is where I know you are going to shoot me down in flames) IF the brides out there continue to play us off against each other by trying to drive the prices down, then you can't be surprised when some of us go bust.

Here's a for instance...... You go in to Coast or Debenhams to buy your bridesmaids dresses, you have 5 bridesmaids..... you take your 5 dresses to the till, and say to the shop assistant "I'm buying 5 dresses so can I have a discount, or maybe some free shoes please?" What do you think the shop assistant is going to say..... Honestly??? Yet I'm faced with this question on a weekly basis. I'm not a huge chain with massive buying power, I'm a small sole trader, with staff, rent, rates, utilities, VAT, TAX, PAYE, and the rest of the letters of the alphabet to pay ;-)

The overheads we have in this business are massive, we all put our heart and soul in to what we do. We go above and beyond the call of duty all the time. How many other shops would open for you out of hours so that you can bring your mum/sister/friend in to see your dress? I personally have given out my mobile number to stressed out brides in case of emergencies. This year my son got rushed into hospital, I had a member of staff on holiday, and my other member of staff off with her dying mother. I couldn't open my shop, and so left the hospital and my very poorly son to put a notice on my door with my mobile number to be used in case of emergencies. I had 2 calls from girls about very trivial things, and I wasn't happy about it, but that's what we do and I accept that.

Ours is a business that is steeped in emotion, and the service that we give is part of what you buy into. I've lost count of the number of brides that have called my shop in tears trying to find a dress, after the one that they ordered on the internet has turned up looking like a shoddy replica of the one they had previously tried on in an authorised stockist's shop. If you order online and have a problem, you have very little come back, if you order from a bricks and mortar shop you can rest assured that if there are any glitches they will sort them out. Their reputation depends on it!!

I can't tell you how soul destroying it is to read some of the posts on here about how some of you use the bridal shops with the intention of establishing what size dress to order online. You are using our valuable time when we could be selling a dress to someone else, and the more that brides do this, the more you will put these shops in jepordy, and the girls who HAVE bought with them will have their dresses put at risk. You may think I'm over dramatising, but believe me I'm not. Someone recently told me a story about a girl who came to her shop, and when the consultant started the appointment the brides friend explained that the bride had already bought her dress from Monsoon, but felt that she'd missed out on the whole 'bridal shop experience'. She had no intention of buying a dress, or even pretending that she was interested in buying a dress.

We have invested a lot of money and time into our businesses, and for all of you who think that it's a lovely fluffy sparkly job, let me tell you that's the tip of the iceberg. Bridal shops are like swans, serene on the surface, but paddling like mad underneath. We make sure that everything runs smoothly for you, we're not perfect but if mistakes happen we sort them out, it's part of our service, part of what you pay for. My husband regularly asks me why I do it when it's so stressful, and the answer is this ..... I love it, there is nothing like the buzz of helping a girl find her dream dress. The sad thing is that more and more of us will bite the dust if the brides don't support us.

I'm sorry for the Gone with the wind length novel.

46 replies

Latest activity by BespokeTailor, 19 of December of 2008 at 21:24
  • bluewater winter wonderland
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater winter wonderland ·
    • Hide content

I only partly agree with what you are saying. brides that buy over the internet do risk not getting exactly what they want, and they obviously don't get the service that some shops provide. that's their prerogative. some brides have had disasters, some have made absolutely inch perfect dresses with no hitches at all.

i absolutely admire the dedication to your shop, business and livelihood, however, in this current climate, brides HAVE to try and get the most for their money, which might mean haggling. you could argue that the shops that go bust because they either price their dresses too high or do not offer the right customer service.

FWIW i found two dress shops near to me that stocked my dress. i didn't go for the cheapest, i went for the one that offered the best customer service as i felt more confident in their ability to deal with my sale and fittings than the shop i didn't buy from.

• jonicko
    Beginner
    jonicko ·
    • Hide content

Why not? Forums are good for debating, and this is a big issue that is affecting both large companies and small businesses alike and Hitchers buy from both the internet and from the high street, so we should be able to see the benefits and downfalls from both sides.

What will brides do if they can't try their dream dress on first before ordering from the internet?

What about the bride of the future, that wants to experience being a bride like those did before her?

It's not just dress shops it's a whole host of companies - look at Woolworths, bad management and the internet are their downfall. Maybe spreading themselves too thinly trying to be everything and succeeding at nothing.

We are another retailer that often gets asked for free samples so they can check quality and then buy it elsewhere cheaper normally from ebay (normally copies not the real mcoy) or our designs are then copied by friends who can do it cheaper.

To add to the debate, did ebay/the internet experience start the beginning of the downturn in the economy because of the trend to buy at a cheaper price, therefore not covering costs and making a healthy profit in order to put spend back into the economy.

more food for thought ...

Beginner August 2009
    • Hide content

PS i think your timing of this post is quite insensitive. a b2b on this forum is obviously going through a few difficulties with her dress shop going bust, so like joflake says, it's a bit uncalled for.

• S
    Beginner July 2009
    sophie` ·
    • Hide content

i only partly agree with what you are saying. brides that buy over the internet do risk not getting exactly what they want, and they obviously don't get the service that some shops provide. that's their prerogative. some brides have had disasters, some have made absolutely inch perfect dresses with no hitches at all.

i absolutely admire the dedication to your shop, business and livelihood, however, in this current climate, brides HAVE to try and get the most for their money, which might mean haggling. you could argue that the shops that go bust because they either price their dresses too high or do not offer the right customer service.

FWIW i found two dress shops near to me that stocked my dress. i didn't go for the cheapest, i went for the one that offered the best customer service as i felt more confident in their ability to deal with my sale and fittings than the shop i didn't buy from.

I completely agree with that last bit. My shopping experience was incredibly stressful and I experienced some dreadful customer service. I bought the dress where I got the best service (and was in fact the most expensive I tried on) because I had the warm glow feeling from both the shop and the dress. I know they will look after me.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

At the risk of getting flamed I agree with the OP. Being in the wedding industry too, every day I speak to bridal shop owners and while many are as busy as ever, there are lots who are struggling because of the credit crunch and brides ever searching for bargains. I don't disagree with bargain hunting, after all I'm all for a bargain myself, but I would rather the service from a bridal shop than buy online and take the risks that come with it just to save a few quid.

I don't see a problem with haggling for a bargain, a lot of bridal shops offer discounts when you buy accessories with the dress, with some even throwing the veil in for free, but I do think some brides take the p and and try to get as much as possible for nothing, knowing full well the shop will do it as they are desperate for a sale at this time.

I suppose this also brings us back to the whole charging to try dresses on business. I don't blame shops for doing that as I am sure there are a lot of brides who only try the dresses on for 'fun' or to find them somewhere else cheaper.

• Stupidgirl45
    Beginner July 2009
    Stupidgirl45 ·
    • Hide content

Jonicko - as you say yes it is good to have lots of opinions on this forum - after all that's why it's called a forum!

However I do actually see why Jo and Bluewater have reacted the way they have (and OP I hope you'll read this) it was a little insensitve to post this when there are several brides on here (me included) who are having issues - not only with dress shops going into receivership - but with other areas of their weddings, caused by the economic downturn.

I completely see where you are coming from re: internet dress shopping and having to rescue brides but actually several brides on here have very successfully ordered dresses of the internet - and that's their perogative. Weddings are blimmin expensive so you have to save money where you can.

I just don't like being lumped into a group with all brides that you seem to think are just out to rip you off. I asked for a discount on my dress but the place I bought from could have said no! I would have still bought my dress there because I liked the service.

Perhaps you've just had a bad few weeks as a small retailer but I really feel a lengthy diatribe wasn't that neccessary!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I don't want to get into a heated debate here or fall out with people I feel I am friendly with on here but I do think the OP was expressing a valid point, and I'm sure didnt mean to offend anyone who is suffering from bust bridal shops, just merely trying to explain why shops are struggling at the moment.

Like I said, I talk to these retailers on a daily basis and some of these people have been having more than a few bad weeks. SOme of the problems have been going on since Sept/Oct.

I feel sorry for anyone who is let down by their bridal shops, believe me I hear some stories through work (and have to deal with re-ordering items for brides who have lost out) I have seen a lot of shops go under over the last few months, and trust me there are very few who contact their brides to let them know of this. Most brides dont find out until they go to collect the dress.

• milna
    Beginner May 2009
    milna ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't haave dreamed of trying on a dress in a shop and buying it online. Or asking for a free pair of shoes. Or a discount. I have never spent more than an hour in a bridal shop, and have certainly never asked for an out of hours appointment. Not that there is any real harm in 'asking' for any of those things ... but I didn't! Ultimately though, it is the responsibility of the retailer to agree a sale at a price which represents good value, but which the reatiler can 'afford'. I went to a number of shops where I spent an hour trying dresses on, and didn't buy ... but that was because I didn't find a dress I liked. I wanted to try some dresses by a particular designer, so rang a few shops, and found just one that stocked them. i went, tried on, and paid a 50% deposit without a quibble. The shop went into administration, but I am pretty sure it was not my fault ?.

At the end of the day, in a recession, some businesses wiil fail, Some businesses will make a loss, or a minimal profit ... and get by! But if you are a business having problems, the worst thing you can do is start blaming customers/potential customers!

Yes, you will get the odd person taking advantage, but offer the best service you can, and you will be rewarded by the customers that want to buy from you. One of the most offputting things I found about shopping for a dress was the paranoid behaviour of shop owners about being 'ripped off' ... when I had no intention of doing any such thing! Concentrate on providing good service and good value, and trust in the good nature of your potential customers ... and maybe enough of them will reward you with their business.

if you are selling an item which costs, on average, somewhere between £500 and £2000 pounds though, you do need to accept that you are not guaranteed a sale every time you spend an hour with a customer. We'd all be in the business if you were!

• Diamond Star Halo
    Beginner October 2004
    Diamond Star Halo ·
    • Hide content

It's an interesting debate. Whilst I get annoyed when I know my shop has been used merely as a changing room, and my time has effectively been wasted, I believe that if I want my business to be a success, I have to accept that times change, the market changes, and it is my responsibility as a business owner to make sure that my business changes to keep up.

Look at some of the higher end supermarkets - they will have lost a lot of business to budget supermarkets over the last few months, and they will need to respond to try and win that business back. Tesco brought out a budget brands range, for example. I can't comment on how well that's worked for them, but it's an example of how businesses need to respond to changes in the market in order to survive. All businesses need to have that flexibility to survive long term, and the bridal industry is no exception.

This is a very simplified way of putting things, but I've believed for a long time that when businesses stop being able to change with the times, or refuse to, or whatever, then they head towards trouble.

I can only comment on the experiences I have in my own shop, but we're certainly not losing the majority of sales to the internet (in fact I don't think we're losing that many at all). We have a good conversion rate, which doesn't seem to have been affected by the economic downturn.

In fact I consider myself very lucky to be in an area of business which is probably a bit safer during the recession than many others.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is funny you say this because this is amother thing I do see - a lot of the shops that do go bust very quickly are the ones that have been opened by brides who think it's easy work and fun. About 7 out of 10 enquiries I deal with are brides who had so much fun buying their own dress that they think its easy work to run their own. THey soon realise how hard it is and there are many that dont even last a year!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I agree that this is a forum and therefore a place to discuss things but just don't see why the post was needed. Everyone is struggling at the moment whether you are the owner of a shop or not. I know that my own jewellery business has more outgoings now because the prices of materials have all gone up and I still have customers that ask for a discount all the time. Sometimes I can give it sometimes I can't. It isn't my customers fault prices have gone up so I don't think they are being rude or cheeky and just trying to get the best deal. We all have mortages to pay, bills, food etc etc so every penny counts.

I'm just struggling to see what you wanted to achieve with your post? Just a debate or do you think customers shouldn't ask you for a discount? I don't want to start an arguement and genuinely interested.

If you were going car shopping either in Arnold Clark or the local one man band garage down the road you would want the best deal wouldn't you? Yes I agree that if you are buying dresses in Debenhams then you can't ask for a discount but then their prices will be usually be less in the first place compared to bridal shops. Also every Debenhams, Coast, Monsoon etc will be selling the same dress at the same price whereas bridal shops all vary their prices even if the dresses are identical.

Brides will always use your shop as a changing room as that is just life and without sounding harsh it is something you will just need to accept unfortunately. I have people just wanting to try my jewellery on for the sake of it which means I will travel to see them, spend time with them etc etc but if I walk away without a sale I don't get annoyed because I'm just proud of the fact I gave good customer service and hope that I will be remembered for that at some point. You win some you lose some.

I'm sorry you are going through a hard time but the same applies to everyone right now and for those going through redundancies and facing Christmas without a job my heart really does go out to them.

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

Not sure where this thread is heading - its an interesting subject tho'. I've picked possibly the worst time to start my own wedding related business. I have no overheads, but it has still cost me (relative to what it is, what it'll earn me etc) a LOT of money to start up and if I'd know in Sept what I know now I'd have held off for sure.

Weddings and funerals are possibly the 2 trades that won't take a huge battering in this time of economic uncertainty but I think even wedding businesses will start to feel the pinch in 2009 for sure. Big or small, home based or shop based.

Like PG said, its about customer service - I've done free samples for brides, maybe 2 or 3 different items or designs and I don't hear back - it might be that the bride went with another designer or looked and thought she could do them herself now she had a template to work from - a hand crafted card is, afterall, just that - even the most cack handed person could give it a good bash if they have enough patience! With the exception of maybe venues and entertainment suppliers, I can't think of many wedding suppliers who won't get 'used' in one way or another by one bride or another ... its the nature of the beast. It doesn't make them bad people tho'!!

Not every bride is out to rip off suppliers, and if anything my customer service has earned me bigger orders (ie more than just day/eve invitations) than the bride was originally planning. But others come to nothing after many hours of work for me. As PG says, some you win, some you lose.

Not 100pc sure what the OP was really saying, but I can see her point of view, but not sure what its achieved really.... still, caught my eye enough to make me reply so ...

• L
    Beginner August 2010
    louisep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

so have a go at brides???? you have never tried to knock the prices down with a supplier??????????????????????

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Having read the post again I dont think its all about brides asking for discount. One other thing I have heard of from retailers is that the bride is going in say shop A, seeing the veil she likes, goes down the road to shop B where she asks them if they stock the same manufacturers veils, they say shop A charges this much............shop B then offers a lower price. Bride then goes back to shop A and says shop B is this much...........see where I am going?

There is nothing wrong with a little competition but I think what the OP is trying to say is that brides trying to get the best deal is sometimes making the shops battle against each other even more and the weaker shop is losing out....usually the shop who can't afford to go cheaper, has more overheads etc.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

If I moaned every time I made a mock up for a Bride & then she decided to make her own I would be constantly whingeing! If she can't afford my services then I have provided her with the materials to make them herself!!

If a Bride comes to me & asks me to do a particular design & to quote, I do this , if she then says that it was out of her budget I then suggest the same design or similar using cheaper flowers. I spend hours on consultations either face to face, at the venue, by email or over the phone, not all of my work involves taking a bouquet from the shelf & sending it to the Bride. I don't always get a booking from every consultation. Many times I have spent time with a Bride only for her to then say that they can't afford X,Y or Z of what we have originally discussed, be it decor, Chair Covers or extras.

It goes with the territory, you are there to provide a service and thats what you do regardless of the fact that the sale may be your Mortgage being paid. I am passionate about what I do and that to me is more important than getting a sale everytime I get an enquiry. Yes I have had a shop as well so I am speaking from both sides, not every customer that I spent time with bought or ordered but they certainly went away with good advice & I had the satisfaction of knowing I had done my job.

Who knows what will happen in this current climate, I know that my bookings for this month are well done on last year and I still have bills to pay as a single parent but it is no good moaning about it, you either throw in the towel or you battle to find ways of seeing you through. There are hundreds of people losing their job & income every day and not all in the retail industry, it is only going to get harder and I suggest if you cannot afford to keep your business going through this then sell up. I would happy to have people trying on dresses whether they bought them or not, they may just put £40 in the till and pay your Gas Bill by buying a veil or Tiara!

At the end of the day how many times have you been into a shop, tried on an outfit & walked out without buying it? You are doing exactly the same as a bride trying on a dress in your shop regardless of whether or not she actually buys it.

• We 3 kings of Ori-tahdah
    Beginner
    We 3 kings of Ori-tahdah ·
    • Hide content

I maybe wrong, but didn't a similar post get written a few weeks ago???

I'm sure I've read something just like it on here!

And by the way...what's the point in posting when you're not going to come back at any of the comments made???

Come on you've obviously got a lot to say...

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

I guess for folk like myself, Sherrie H and PG we have the opportunity to work to sometimes tight budgets - as Sherrie said, if the first 'design' is too expensive you can back pedal to less expensive materials .... there isn't that opportunity so much for dress shops as they have to buy the dresses at whatever the designer/supplier charges and make some profit on that.

I doubt there is much opportunity for 'bartering' in the fashion/retail world to be honest Louisep!

But the price of wedding dresses IS scary, and I would imagine some brides who 'get' that a wedding isn't just about the materialistic things might decide M&S or Debs or Monsoon offer better value for a dress worn for a few hours than a boutique / independent / chain bridal wear shop charging hundreds or even thousands of pounds.... but those prices must be driven by what the suppliers charges so the bridal shops are kinda over a barrel a bit?

But I'm not sure its a good idea to come on a wedding forum and blame the brides for that ... if you don't feel its a business you can compete in competitively then its not the right business for you to be in.

Overall I think bridal wear is hideously overpriced which is why I opted for a bridesmaid dress at £199 : ) and I could have got something similiar in a hundred different shops but opted to go with the shop who I felt offered me the best customer service, advice and overall a superior shopping experience than all the other places I went to. They also stocked a few different labels to many of the shops I'd been to previously so I felt I had a better choice and different designs to chose from - so they won on many many counts!

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit surprised that this has become a bit heated. Personally, I thought that the first post was interesting to read as it's from the other side as it were.

It clearly is a very tough business, and everyone is suffering in the recession. o doubt there will be many shops folding in the near future. That is obviously horrible. I don't see how the post can be described as insensitive though. You know, it's really bad that some brides are worried about their dress as the shop has gone bust, but that isn't the first poster's fault.

I just think it made interesting reading and as I said: Good to hear the other side of the coin.

Ali x

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

Hi LoopLoo,

I am more of a lurker too and try to only post when I can be of any assistance. I read your post with interest and although I understand the issues you are having and I understand your frustratutions, this is not the correct place to air them.

Every business has its frustrations and if we all posted them here the 'Wedding Planning' forum would be an unhappy place indeed.

When I first started to post on this forum, I saw lots of people advertising their business's (and having a moan) in unproffessional ways, those people are not around any more. However the HIB's who conduct themselves in the correct way continue to post and some of them (SherrieH etc.) have earned the respect of B2B's and HIBs alike.

Good Luck with your business,

Marc

Beginner August 2009
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i disagree - i think the tone and timing of it were inappropriate. i actually feel a bit insulted by the original post - the OP has made massive generalisations, lumping all brides together, saying that we all race from one shop to the other all looking for the cheapest possible price, playing shops off against each other. we don't. i'm sure some do, but most don't.

of course it's a tough time at the moment - it's a tough time for everyone, not just people in retail. i know it's not the OP's fault that a b2b's dress shop has gone under, but a bit more sensitivity would have been nice.

btw i'm not looking to fall out with anyone just cos they disagree with my viewpoint (i love a good debate...!!!), but the first poster has really riled me!

• penguin1977
    Beginner
    penguin1977 ·
    • Hide content

Bluewater - I have to agree with you. It sounds like the OP is really bitter!!!!!

I do apologise that I chose to shop around for possibly the most expensive dress I will ever buy in my life!!!!!

Edited to say - I also chose the place to buy my dress based on the service I recieved and that the fact that they didn't make me feel guilty about loking online and looking elsewhere! In the end it wasn't the cheapest place but it was the place that made me feel most comfortable.

• D
    Super November 2008
    donnaj36 ·
    • Hide content

I think she`s got a totally valid point, and didnt sound arsey -just giving her point of view IMO-but I personally havent heard of anyone on here trying on a dress and then ordering it on the internet.

• N
    Beginner September 2008
    nutfluff ·
    • Hide content

It worked the other way round for me. My Mum wanted to make my dress for me, so we went round several bridal shops to see what suited me and what I liked before we went to buy a pattern etc. I ended up buying the very first dress I tried on because she thought she wouldn't be able to make it as nice. We'd already bought 2 patterns, so she used one of them to make my BM dress instead.

Like others have said, I wouldn't have bought the first dress I tried on and liked without trying on several different ones. As it was, the idea I had in my head of the dress didn't suit me at all. Not everyone stocks the same selection so you have to go to different places before you decide, and the service is also a part of that. It's like when I bought my new car - I didn't go to one dealer, test one car and buy it. I drove quite a few before I decided on the one I bought (and I haggled the price a bit). It's not just wedding dresses that we shop round for. Who doesn't look at prices of basic food items in different supermarkets etc and try to get the best value for money they can (generally speaking I mean, I don't check every item I need every week in fifteen places before I buy it!).

Particularly in the current economic climate everyone wants to get value for money, and when making an expensive purchase you want to be absolutely sure it's the one for you before you part with your cash. It's not about playing one off against another. So, while I see where the OP is coming from, I don't entirely agree with it.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Interesting subject.. I understand both sides of the coin too as I also had a shop many years ago and had a similar problem when Tesco started selling bouquets at prices that I couldn't even buy them for at the wholesalers. A lot of people don't realise that supermarkets sell goods such as flowers as 'loss leaders' and actually put the mark up they should have put on flowers on other goods such as meat for example. I would imagine that larger bridal stores such as Debenhams etc can afford to sell at cheaper prices than independents because of their buying power. Sadly, it's a fact of retail life that independents will always be up against the 'giants' but there is one service which smaller businesses can offer that tends to be lost in larger companies and that's top notch customer care. I visit lots of Bridalwear shops with my business and over the years, I have found that the ones which survive are the ones that give you a warm welcome and are passionate about developing their business. Unfortunately, many bridal shops are set up not exactly "on a whim' but lacking the capital to keep it going until the business becomes established. The overheads of running a bridal shop must be enormous! There will always be 'timewasters' who will try shop owners' patience but I always look at it that a timewaster today could quite easily be a customer in the future! Try not to get too downhearted and all the best for next year.

• L
    LoopyLoo HIB ·
    • Hide content

I really appreciate all of your views. My reason for this post was to open up a debate. It's something that many of my bridal shop friends and I constantly talk about. It’s very interesting to hear what you all have to say on the subject, clearly a lot of you value your bridal shop which is fantastic. I’m not daft, I don’t expect every girl who walks through my door to buy from me, but when you can clearly see that they are using you for a girly day out, or blatently tell you that they are just in the area to visit mum and thought it would be a nice thing to do but will be ordering closer to home, it can leave you wanting to tear your hair out.

The big debate amongst retailers at the moment, is the issue of whether or not to charge for appointments on the basis of taking card details but only charging if the bride doesn’t show up for her appointment. Another controversial one I know, but it would sort out the time wasters from the genuine girls. I allow 2 hours in a private dressing room when people make an appointment with me, recently I had 3 now shows in one day. No phone calls to say they couldn’t make it nothing. One girl just hung up on me when I called to see if she was on her way. I regularly have a waiting list for my Saturday appointments, so had these girls given me 24 hours notice, I could have filled them. None us really want to charge for appointments, but do you see why we might want to? I’ve also booked girls in for Sunday or evening appointments, who have just not bothered to show up!!!

I understand that there are shops out there that maybe aren’t as dedicated as I am, and that service in some shops be poor. I also know that I offer fantastic service, and I still get hit with these problems. I don’t want you to think that I am anti-bride, I absolutely love my girls. The majority of my brides are fantastic, and once they have ordered from me will show loyalty. The intention of my post was to show the other side of the coin. I know times are hard, and I like a bargain as much as the next person, but I have had girls sit in my shop asking me for money off this and that, and then question my financial stability to the point that I’ve felt they want a note from accountant stating how financially stable I am. Quite honestly it’s insulting. Now I’m not tarring all brides with the same brush, but if we’re not careful it will get to the point where the minority spoil it for the majority.

Like any trade, there will be shops that take the p**s when marking up their dresses, but the majority of us stick to the RRP. It’s absolutely not been my intention to be insensitive to the girls who are having problems with finances or if they have bought their dress from a shop that’s now in receivership. When a shop in my area went under recently, I helped out many girls who came to me in tears. When they didn’t know where to turn, and had received no communication from the shop, I found out the name of the receivers and called them to trace dresses for girls. I provided them with seamstress details, and offered to store and steam their dresses, all for no fee! I gave my time freely, even though I hadn’t sold them a thing.

What I hope I’ve done by opening up this debate is possibly make a few people think about things from the retailers point of view. And I'm not bitter at all, my business is doing very well which I am very thankful for, but I have a lot of friends in the industry who are suffering with may of the issues that I've raised. I suppose I'm not really just posting on my behalf, but on behalf of my industry pals aswell. I appreciate the fact that I am a lurker, and have just posted out of the blue, but I do keep an eye on what's being said on here. I'm not rubbishing anyones opinion, I know not everyone will agree with the things I have said, I have found it really interesting to read what you all think about this subject. I think it's been a very interesting thread, and hopefully we've all learned something from it, I know I have.

• moomin8804
    Beginner July 2009
    moomin8804 ·
    • Hide content

All businesses and probably bridal shops are in the same boat at the moment! You can either moan about it or try your best to pull through and weather the storm!

• D
    Debs ·
    • Hide content

I absolutely 100% agree with the OP. I think there is a tendency on here for a "them" and "us" to develop and I think those who have suggested that all brides are the same must remember that brides also tar all bridal shops with the same brush too.

As a fellow retailer, I completely agree with the frustrations involved. I'm not struggling at all in these difficult times so I can only assume my price, quality and service are carrying me through. However I could strangle some girls who treat my shop like their personal dressing room, and treat me like their personal assistant. At the end of the day, we are only there to make a living and I know some brides think that we should be swept along in the glitter of their special day (and I for one, do), but we ARE there to do a job and make a living, despite that being hard for some of you to stomach. No one criticises pubs or newsagents for their markup, so why do bridal shops get it in the neck?

I am more than happy to spend ages with genuine customers, and haggling and discounts are part of the deal, but there is a huge difference between them and the devious little sneaks who will literally take your eyes out given half the chance.

As the OP said, feel free to ask for discounts if you want, but remember your deposit might be in the hands of the receivers in six months time if you do it too often!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

If it were me, I would definitely take a deposit against an appointment explaining your reasons for this (no shows when you are turning other Brides away etc) This is done in other places and works quite well. For example, my hubby was interested in Laser eye surgery and although wasn't 100% decided on having it done immediately, he more or less wanted to know the ins and outs of it all and whether he would be suitable. Although the appointment consultation was free, they asked for a £30 deposit on a debit/credit card which they explained would be refunded after his appointment or not refunded if he failed to keep his appointment. To us, that was fair enough and reasonable. To cut a long story short, he wasn't considered suitable for laser treatment and got his £30 back on his card the same day. I think most people accept that time is money and has to be paid for when offering a service. I know quite a few bridal shops who work this way and it seems to work well. Genuine customers wouldn't object, I'm sure. Going back to the question of discounts, sometimes I get photos of bouquets sent to me and a Bride will say that florist A has offered to make this at such a price, can I beat it? I more or less know straightaway whether that's true or not by the look of the bouquet - so I work out the costings and if I can't make a reasonable profit on it, then unfortunately I have to say no. I can always work within budgets but if someone sends a photo of a large, shower bouquet and says florist A will charge her £40 for it then to be honest, if florist A is daft enough to work for nothing then the job's hers! At the end of the day, we are all in business to make money and we have to earn a living!

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

Hello Again,

I am not really a fan of charging a deposit for appointments. I think it leaves you open to accusations of credit card fraud and opens the debate about Data Protection. (ie where are your card details stored and how are they destroyed?)

I know I personally advised one couple not to visit a shop because they charged for appointments and thought this was excessive and unproffesional. (given that I had spoke to the owner only days previously and was told that the shop was very quiet)

I have an appointment only policy on Saturdays, and I get very few who cancel or no-shows. I think this is because the product/service that they are enquiring about is something that they want. What I mean to say is, if you have a product that the customer REALLY wants of course they will not cancel or not show up. I always try to think of ways of making Saturdays more interesting and more exciting. I try to build a level of anticipation and excite the customer about the appointment.

Why not take along hard look at the business (I try to do this regurly) and see if there is any reason why people are not showing for appointments? Also try to see if there is anything you can do to turn those customers who are 'Just Looking' into sales, maybe your negativity regarding the customers motives is coming across in your service?

If like you said you have a successful business which is thriving, there really was no need for this post at all. (other than to vent your own frustrations on your potential customers)

Marc

(sorry about all the spelling mistakes, typing and sewing is difficult and I am too lazy to edit)

• G
    glitzy hib ·
    • Hide content

A great discussion.

To be honest unless u work in this business u really don;t know anything about it - I have 2 new staff start this yr who really got their eyes open as to how rude some brides can be.

I for one am seriously thinking about charging for missed appointments as brides tend to block book thier appointments and if they get sorted before they get to me they just don't show up - that is just plain rude.

We are lucky as we do not have much trouble with brides using us a changing room - more brides not cancelling their appointments which is annoying when I have staff to pay and they are standing there doing nothing and us with a list of brides waiting to get in to see us.

Congrats to those who don;t have any problems with no shows - do tells us how u can manage this?? We contact all our brides prior to thier appointments and even those who confirm still can manage to forget about us, or have a hangover etc......

I think all brides should work in a bridal shop for at least 1 week before they even start to look at dresses - I think they would treat us alot nicer?

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

I worked in a Bridal shop (only for one day) just to see what it was like. I thought it was O.K., the brides I met there and the ones I meet here are not always rude (a very VERY small minority are) but most are just really sensitive and (IMO) sometimes too sensitive.

I think anyone who deals with the general public will have experienced rudeness and it is part of our job description to be able to deal with it in a correct way.

Maybe an incentive to KEEP the appointment rather than a PUNISHMENT for cancelling is a more positive way of dealing with the situation? Maybe a free gift, free consultation or advice on hair or makeup, free entertainment, free magazines?? A way of inticing the customer to your shop first! or at least putting a doubt in the customers mind that your shop may have a better product / service than the one they are in at the time.

I am not in the bridal business but I do meet alot of Brides throughout the year (in the shop and at wedding fayres) and they are seem frustrated with the service that the bridal industry offers them. So it seems quite ironic to see the Bridal industry on a public forum moaning about the brides!

Just my opinions.

Marc

• LouM
    Beginner August 2007
    LouM ·
    • Hide content

I have a huge degree of sympathy for the OP, and don't think for one minute that she was lumping all brides together as tightfisted timewasters, far from it- instead she was highlighting the significant detrimental effect that the actions of a selfish minority can have on her business.

As for whether this is the place or time to post it? I don't see why not- this may be an online forum, but it deals with real life issues and, short of being deliberately mean or thoughtless, we shouldn't have to tread on eggshells to protect the over-sensitive minority. I'm very sad for brides who lose deposits when shops go into insolvency, as I am for those brides who are having to scale back or postpone their weddings. However, as far as I'm aware this is a community for brides AND professionals in the industry (to the extent that they are able to behave themselves on board. ?) I do however totally agree it might have been better to get involved in this online community before diving straight in with a moan! ?

As for charging for appointments- I think that's a splendid idea. I would have happily paid a deposit when making an appointment, which was refundable when you turned up. heck, I'd even have paid a non-refuindable one if it increased my chances of getting an appointment quickly and not having to share the shop with a group of giggling halfwit timewasters.

One final point though, aimed at the OP- you have criticised brides who decide to open a bridal shop after experiencing the fun of wedding planning, but who don't seem to realise how much hard work it is- could you not say the same for yourself? Did you not realise that the world is full of disenguous people who will do anything for a 'bargain', and that they don't suddenly cease to have these characteristics just because they're getting married? Nothing in the world could persuade me to open a bridal shop, and so I take my hat off to you- but if it is frustrating and annoying you so much, can you honestly say it's your 'dream job'?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics