Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mellow_Yellow
Beginner May 2012

Short brides, talk to me - 5ft or thereabouts...

Mellow_Yellow, 29 October, 2011 at 20:53 Posted on Planning 0 25

So I'm 5ft 1". I'll be wearing 3inch heels for the ceremony, but can't guarantee that I wont swap to flats at some point in the evening. My dress has a large train which will of course be fully down for the ceremony, and my chapel length veil is the same length - stretching almost a foot behind me. I'm worried with little height I'm going to look less wow and more dumpy!

Do any of you shorter brides have pics of you in your dress (preferably if you went for something big) to ease my worries?

TIA x

25 replies

Latest activity by Little Madam, 31 December, 2011 at 19:46
  • Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

No advice here but just had a random thought!

You know when u decide in ur head what someone looks like. I didnt imagine u to be dinky!

lol

soz 4 the randomness of my comment!

x

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha - this intrigues me...what height am I in your head?

• HappyAnnie
    Beginner April 2012
    HappyAnnie ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, I'm 5ft 2 and completely understand what you're saying. I never go out without heels as I hate feeling short, and my OH is over 6ft! I have also got 3 inch heels which I intend to wear right through to the end, just wearing them in enough to be comfy. I'm sure with your heels on you won't look dumpy at all, you'll look lovely, I actually think floor length gowns add height.....I've probably not been much help here but here is a flash of my dress....

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

Dont know an exact height but i'd estmate about 5'6! size 10 -12 and hair just past ur shoulders blondish

lol

God i nd to get out more!

haha

x

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I pictured her as a brunette, agree with the tallish and slim bit too....

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

Isnt it weird how we get a mental picture in our head of what people look like going by a 'user name' and an aviator!

x

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha! 5ft 1" as I said, size 10, brunette, used to be at my chin but have been growing it since the engagement so nearly at my bra strap now...any guess on age ladies?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See, this is lovely as your dress is more shapely...here's me:

***pic now removed***

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Oh Mellow Yellow I'll be following this thread with interest!! I'm a shorty too, actually I'm only 4'10". I'm thinking I'll look daft in a tea length gown but worse in a princessy type one. I think I'm most likely to go with an A-line dress maybe with a slight train. I'm really not sure though as I've not tried any on yet, need to lose quite a bit of weight first.

Have you got pics of you in yours?

• HappyAnnie
    Beginner April 2012
    HappyAnnie ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is gorgeous, you certainly don't look short or dumpy, you just look lovely! Hold your head up high, shoulders back, put on your 3 inch heels and voila - stunning!

• HappyAnnie
    Beginner April 2012
    HappyAnnie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did you watch last weeks Don't Tell the Bride? She was under 5ft and tried on a tea length dress - actually looked really good on her. I think it depends on the actual dress - I thought a floor length would swamp me but actually made me feel tall (for once!), once you get trying on you'll soon suss what does and doesn't work for you x

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

Well i would have guessed bout 33 before seeing a picture of u. Now i'd guess bout 26ish.

Please dont be offended if im way off. Ive already proved u r the opposite too what i thought!

x

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No missed it! Will have to find it on iPlayer ? I think I'm more concerned about my hips and bum making it stick out too much rather than just my dumpy legs! But I won't rule anything out, I'm looking forward to dress shopping so I'm blooming well going to try every single style on LOL!!

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Oh and Mellow, you look really lovely in your dress and you look in proportion too, don't worry ?

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Oh and Mellow, you look really lovely in your dress and you look in proportion too, don't worry ?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha - 23...going on 40, lol!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awww, thanks hun, x

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Hi,i am about the same height and wore a tea length,i did have 4 inch heels on but i did not feel dumpy.You look gorgeous and totally in proportion.

• C
    Beginner March 2012
    cupcake91 ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies

Im 5ft1 and am wearing heels that are almost 5inches. Yowzerrrr!

Going to wear them in before the big day and also have glittery flats which I can put on in the evening.

Dont have any pictures of me in my dress though, sorry! X

• P
    Beginner May 2012
    Peyaleed ·
    • Hide content

Love the dress.

I had a lot of problems with dress and shoes as I'm only 4ft9 and a size one.

Ended up getting a bespoke made to measure dress and shoes from Emmy- only 3 inch heels as not used to wearing anything higher!

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I may well have to do this, if the budget allows.....

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

I missed your flash but I can flash my own if you wanted to see as I am 5' 1" (H is 6' 3"!!) and I'd say my heels were 3 inches max.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I'm 4ft 11 and a half (the all important half an inch!) and I had a 15ft train with a shorter veil on top. Although I wore 4 inch heels on the day,they sunk into the grass so didn't really help much. This was mine - ignore the fashion though as it was in 1983 but gives you an idea of the scale etc:-

Will see if I can find one with the full veil on. To be honest, apart from walking up the aisle, the rest of the day it was either hung over my arm or bunched up in the car or piled up under a table when I sat down!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I think that quite often, as long as your dress is properly fitted to you, you won't look dumpy. You'll look shorter if your OH is much taller than you, whereas if you're both short, you won't look 'out of proportion' if you see what I mean.

I'm 5ft4, not massively tall although not 'short' either, but Mr J is only a few inches taller than me so I don't feel like I'm short. Put me next to my very tall maid of honour though and I instantly look shorter and fatter. She's a dress size or two bigger than me but it's all spread out over her height, so our proportions are actually similar.

ETA: Not to say that you'd necessarily look out of proportion if you are much shorter than your OH. I think it's dependent on so much more than just your actual height.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Oooh, an oldish thread bumped! It's good to see some new people commenting on it. Since I posted last time my dress has actually arrived and I have brought it home, so now have a pic of that rather than just the sample (which was a size too big and the wrong colour ?)

Thanks for all the new flashes...Lisa, I reckon I would be most like you as H2B is 6ft 2" so there will be quite a difference on the day. I'm hoping the internal platform in my shoes will level that out, but I don't expect to be able to keep them on until the early hours of the morning, so have flats to switch to if needed.

Here's me in my (yes, my actual - squeeeee) dress (as you can see, I need to lose a bit of length ?):

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

It looks fab! I don't think you'll be loosing any Wow factor there!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics