Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

charliebird7
Beginner March 2012

Short bridesmaid dresses in March?

charliebird7, 31 January, 2011 at 16:43 Posted on Planning 0 9

Is anyone else having short bridesmaid dresses who is getting married at a similar time to me? One of my bridesmaid's (who is my sister!) is being a right pain in the a*se about wearing a short dress and kicking up a right stink! I'm so close to telling her to get lost as she also made our dress shopping on Friday a living hell.

Am I being unreasonable? We are getting married and having the reception all under one roof and are staying there the night before so she doesn't need to go outside.

I do realise that i'm probably getting too worked up about this but she is the only one moaning, the other two are fine!

What do you think? x

9 replies

Latest activity by Kat44, 31 January, 2011 at 18:14
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Ignore her and do what YOU want!!!! seriously, its inside, its covered!

If she concious of her legs she can wear tights, its YOUR day not hers!

Luckily all mine want to wear long as they are so tall and want to wear flats!

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

I'm not getting married in March but I don't see the problem at all with short BM dresses at this time of year!

I was a BM last year. It rained all day and was pretty cold (in August!) and we had short dresses but it made no difference at all. We were inside all day.

Is there another reason you BM might not want to wear a short dress and is using the weather as an excuse? Insecure about her legs or something? Just a thought...

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

Short dresses are fine, i would tell your sister that know one is making her wear the dress and be a brides maid, its her choice.

By the way my brides maids will be wearing short dresses in October (well slightly above the knee)

• Starlight85
    Beginner June 2011
    Starlight85 ·
    • Hide content

March is a tricky month as it can be gorgeous or cold, I think a short dress is fine especially if you don't have to spend alot of time outside. My sons birthday is March and he had a party outside last year it was so nice (hoping the same weather this year for you). If your other two bridesmaids are fine, tell your sister (if it won't cause to many family problems) that its your wedding and this is the dresses you really like. That you would love her to be your bridesmaid and have her play a really special part of your day but that if she really objects to the dress then she has the option to not be your bridesmaid and wear anything she chooses. This is what I would tell my sister, hope i was some help.

P.S. Your justified in getting worked up, its your wedding and you and your h2b have the right to have your day exaltly how you want it, your sister will have what she wants if/when she marries

x x x

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Mine are having short dresses in September ,bit of a dodgy month weather wise as well. However no one has said anything about the length of the dresses.

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

Me!! I get married in just over three weeks and call me a meanie, but my girls are wearing short silk dresses!

They helped pick the dresses so knew what they were getting themselves into, plus it's not like we're going to be spending the day outside ? They can wear natural colour tights, and I am providing wraps to go round their shoulders. S'all good!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I love short dresses, and I think as a rule that what the bride says, goes.

HOWEVER I would add that it might be that your sister hates showing her legs cos she's embarrassed or doesn't like them, in which case maybe you should think twice...

If it's cos she think's she'll be cold then I think it's tough! as someone else said, she can wear tights and a stole.

• avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a March wedding and my dresses are short.

One of my BM's had a grumble, but I just told her to shuddup! ?

Get a spray tan, or wear some (not horrible shiny) flesh coloured tights. Shave your legs?

X

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

Thankyou everyone. She doesn't hate her legs, she usually gets them out whenever she can! Maybe i'll have a look at some shrugs/boleros. x

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

I personally prefer long dresses and so do my BMs but one did ask before we went shopping if they could have long dresses because she has chunky cankles (calf/ankles) and doesn't like her legs being out.

Even if I had looked at short dresses, I wouldn't have made her wear one knowing it would have made her uncomfortable. I'd rather have a happy comfy BM on the day!

If it wouldn't be a major issue, do the short dresses come in a long version for your sister?

Ultimately though it is your wedding and your decision!

ETA: just saw your other post and if she doesn't have a problem with her legs and is just being an awkward mare then just tell her tough lol!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics