Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

shortest wedding dress appointmeng ever?!

25 of August of 2013 at 12:18 Posted on Planning 0 21

All of 8 minutes!

Booked an appointment, turned up to an uninterested sales assistant who left me for walk-in's! I picked 2 dresses. Tried them on. Wasn't keen but said open to suggestion. So she suggested I try elsewhere and went over to another walk-in! I'm in shock! Appointment was at 12pm and I was standing outside by 12:12!!!! What the heck?!

21 replies

Latest activity by MrsBeckiW, 28 of August of 2013 at 16:25
  • suzysimpson
    Beginner August 2013
    suzysimpson ·
    • Hide content

I had one like that, the girl was nice but had no idea what she was doing and I left without even trying anything on (she didn't know how to help me...) Sod them and move on to a more helpful shop!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

That's attrocious! But it does mean they lose your business as I'm sure you'll go elsewhere. They won't last long on the high street with that sort of attitude! Good luck finding your perfect dress x

• EmmaM88
    Beginner July 2014
    EmmaM88 ·
    • Hide content

I am quite shocked by this! If they had this attitude I would definitely not want to get from dress from there.

I have left my mum to book my appointments and where she and my aunt got their dresses from are opening an hour early just for me. I am hoping I find my dress there they are so welcoming and its only a tiny shop.

• Polkadots_and_Pincurls
    Beginner June 2015
    Polkadots_and_Pincurls ·
    • Hide content

I hate to say it, but did you give any indication that you wouldn't be spending very much? I only ask because when OH and I went shopping for my engagement ring, the first shop we went in were all smiles and fake interest until we explained we only had a mere £200 to spend, then she promptly fu**ed off!! Some people are all about the commision, and nothing else Smiley sad

• Polkadots_and_Pincurls
    Beginner June 2015
    Polkadots_and_Pincurls ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, it would appear that woman is just a bit of a witch, then, lol! Ah well sod 'em, I'm glad you didn't let it phase you, good for you Smiley smile x

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Omg, shocking! She won't do much business with that attitude! Sure you'll find your perfect dress elsewhere, i'm glad they're not getting your cash haha!

• Y
    Beginner April 2014
    YellowDuckie ·
    • Hide content

It amazes me how different some shops are from others. To the ectent even if they had my dream dress of never buy from a couple of the ones I went to, god knows how they'd treat you after you bought!

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    kitcat10210 ·
    • Hide content

Does the shop name begin with a B by any chance?

• K
    Beginner April 2014
    kitcat10210 ·
    • Hide content

I had both ends of the scale if its the same store chain! The sales assistant who was really nice and chatty and bubbly (she was the same age as me so we got on quite well) but then the store manager was very pushy and very snotty (she tried pressuring me in to putting down a deposit on a dress i wasnt sure on, even though she knew this was the first store i had been to, and was very arsey when i said i wanted to come back with my MOH to see it before i made any major decisions)

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

That's awful.
    Word gets around and other brides might think twice about going there as well.
    I can understand maybe saying to walk-ins that they can have a look but then they'll need to book an appointment to try on if the sales people are busy with someone else. But to abandon an appointment to try and get more business is terrible.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

That's awful.
    Word gets around and other brides might think twice about going there as well.
    I can understand maybe saying to walk-ins that they can have a look but then they'll need to book an appointment to try on if the sales people are busy with someone else. But to abandon an appointment to try and get more business is terrible.

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

I think tiny shops are the bets theres one in my parents town thought nothing of it but they were mazing and i found my one there! x

• Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content

If it does begin with a 'B' then I had exactly the same experience in one and having planned for the appointment to be around 60-90 minutes I found myself outside after 25 min. Ended up going for a cup of tea with mum as our next appointment was over an hour later.

• C
    Beginner December 2013
    charbar16 ·
    • Hide content

Miss M - seriously please email the head office and tell them!!

Bridal shops rely on people's word of mouth almost as much as advertising and they will be mortified that you will be going round telling all your friends never to shop there!

I would seriously be throwing freebies at you to get you to change your mind, so definitely worth a shot! Even if all that happens is that another bride doesn't have her day ruined x

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! The service in the shop I have bought mine from was phenomenal! The lady who is helping me is just the best! Ill happily name and praise the Bridal House in Aston Clinton. They even threw in a £100 accessory voucher because I bought my dress and 2 bridesmaids dresses from them!

• L
    Beginner November 2014
    Lemonflower ·
    • Hide content

This happened to me too ☹️ Me and my mum were in the shop a mere 15 minutes.

We had an appointment booked for 1.00 and were out by 1.10.

The woman just couldn't be bothered with us. I got asked my budget straight away (£1000) and she lazily pointed to the sections of dresses in my budget and the ones not.

I asked for advice saying that I didn't really know what would suit me and open to advise as and she just said.

"go with what you like!"

Me and my mum chose two dresses - she helped me in them and it was so awkward, - not anything like the wonderful service we had, had in the appointment before. It just felt like she didn't want to be there and was blunt. One dress she pulled the back and held it taught instead of tying / pinning it and said.

"it'll look something like that".

I have no idea why she was like this - I remained my usual bright and bubbly self so it wasn't as if she thought we were rude. My mum has it in here head it was because we were wearing jeans - lol. I just don't know??

I'd like to say I wasn't bothered but we did leave feeling a little confused and disapointed and we were really nervous going to the next appointment. Thankfully they were lovely and we had a brilliant experience.

This particular shop - i'll name and shame is "Prima Donna."

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think jeans is the case i wore jeans and trainers in - explained i came striaght from work and I might smell of pasties!

Also explained that I wasn't the girliest of girls and it didnt bother her at all!

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

Im sorry to say your experience isn't an isolated one. I hear things like this a lot from brides who have visited other shops and have been disgusted by the service they have received. Somebody mention the "B" national chain and they seem to be notorious in their rudeness. Our local one has just closed in Peterborough, I have a bride who rang them to find out where her dress was and why she hadn't been contacted 3 weeks before her wedding for a fitting to be told the shop was closed, they didn't know where her dress was or even if it had been made, and they could offer her no advice on how to get her money back. Fortunately we were able to help her out. I think part of the problem is that the staff who work in the shops are on a flat wage, it isn't their business so they can walk away at the end of the day and not give it a 2nd thought, and it makes no difference to them whether they sell a dress or not!

Every single bride, regardless of how she is dressed, her budget, her size or what she is looking for is just as important as the next. The vast majority of my brides are professional ladies - nurses, teachers, midwives, police officer etc but that doesn't make them any more important than the stay at home mums or those between jobs and its possibly a lot harder for those planning a wedding on a very tight budget.

Im afraid I think the "couldn't care less" attitude is a common thing these days.

• MrsBeckiW
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsBeckiW ·
    • Hide content

I feel so dumb having no idea what shop you are all talking about.

I would be really annoyed and would be straight home to write a strongly worded very british email!

A few years ago my sister went dress shopping and had get changed in a storage cupboard because they had given all the changing rooms to walk ins, even though she had an appointment.

If that shop was still open there is no way I would go in there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics