Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Shotgun wedding

7 of September of 2013 at 12:31 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi all!

I have recently discovered that me and the husband to be are expecting a baby. We have our big white church wedding and proper reception all booked and part paid. Despite this, as much as I was looking forward to this massive day, in the back of my head I was always wishing that we could sneak off with close family and do the deed somewhere low key so we don't have to wait for another year!

Now I've discovered we are expecting it seems daft to spend so much on the wedding and so now it's got me thinking of sneaking off again and the other half is up for it! Of course we have looked at Gretna Green and it seems ideal- haven't enquired into anything yet though. I was wondering if any of you had any other ideas for what is essentially a shotgun wedding!

21 replies

Latest activity by *Mrs M to be*, 11 of September of 2013 at 19:44
  • Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Why not just bring it all forward?

Does your venue have any last min dates?

We got engaged 3 1/2years ago and had a happy accident which pushed it all back, wished we just got it done quickly.

Oh and congratulations Smiley smile

• emmiejune
    Beginner December 2013
    emmiejune ·
    • Hide content

We went to look at a gorgeous venue near Gretna but opted for a bigger, more local venue in the end. It was less commercial than the actual Gretna venues but cost a little more. Not sure if I am allowed to say the name but Google for a tower near Gretna.

• J
    Beginner April 2014
    Jader123 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations again!! This is fantastic after knowing how long you been trying etc Smiley smile

I don't have any ideas to help sorry but just wanted to say, do whatever you and your other half want to do. If you two really want to do it then do it Smiley smile It will be amazing whatever you do because it's about you and your partner and now you have a baby on the way which is amazing.

The only slight thing I would be worried about is losing money on what you already have booked/paid bit for? Hope you don't lose too much money Smiley smile

• *Mrs M to be*
    Beginner August 2014
    *Mrs M to be* ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! :o)

I'd go for it! Such good news and now you have something much more important to think about.

I'm so looking forward to our day and am loving the planning but when it comes down to it, it's about 2 people getting married and becoming a family, the rest is just unnecessary nice stuff!

She's says... Having spent the last hour online looking for the 'perfect' lace to use for invitations! Haha.

Gretna Green would be sweet. Or what about you and the essential people making a little mini abroad trip of it? Of course, sometimes that works out just as expensive as a proper wedding once you factor in flights and accomodation.

Or a mini break in the UK somewhere. You could hire a big lodge/ cottage between your group, have the wedding ceremony and make a bit more of an informal thing of it with all your family?

Whatever you decide, you'll have a fab time and the outcome will be the same! You and your husband and a new little baby on the way! :o)

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! I've had no personal experience but have heard that Gretna Green itself can be a bit like a conveyor belt with the number of weddings they have. Plus, it was a bit strange when we popped in for lunch on the way back from Scotland a couple of years ago and wedding guests were walking around with all the tourists. Having said that...it didn't put me off looking and thinking about it seriously. We've stayed at a lovely golf club in Scotland a few times which have some gorgeous lodges you can rent, from luxury 2 person lodges through to big gaming lodges for quite a big party. I know they do weddings and I'm sure there are lots of other places that do similar.

• Y
    Beginner April 2014
    YellowDuckie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Congratulations! I agree with MrsPetal - see what your venue can do for you, you might be surprised!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

Yeah I'd bring it forward too. Even at Gretna green or your choosn venue

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I just wanted to add that we really enjoyed our legal ceremony, it was quick but it was fun, what we wanted and with just a few people. Next year we're going to have a Blessing with more people and a bigger party. I think what I want to say is that having your wedding over a couple of years is a good idea especially if you combine the baby's arrival with your big party ? If you think it's right for you then do it..I loved my part 1.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Massive congratulations!!

My friend found out she was preggers after she'd booked her wedding. She ended up postponing her big wedding til later on and she had a small registry office ceremony then food and drinks back at her parents house. Despite her feeling a bit sick as she was only just over the 12 week point she said she actually enjoyed the small wedding much more than her big fairytale do later on.

Do whatever will make you and your OH happy - that's all that matters

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations again CatShoes! Shotgun wedding and a super party later sounds like a great idea to me! Do you still plan on wearing the dress you bought? Just wondered... I've got not experience of Gretna Green and haven't looked into it but before we booked our venue we did consider going away somewhere and getting married and getting a cottage or something similar with close friends and family and there were some lovely ones around.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Oh yes of course! Sorry stupid question!?

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Aw congratulations again Catshoes, lovely news Smiley smile I'm sure you'll be super happy doing whatever you choose and it's very true its a lot of money when expecting a little one, all your priorities will be on baba now haha Smiley smile Sounds a lovely idea keep us updated with whatever you choose! xx

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Sure it'll all be worth it Smiley smile You'll definitely be occupied by mini egg & it means you'll have little bubba at the wedding!
    Bet you'll be really glad you've waited when it comes to your big day, more time to plan & loads to look forward to. I think you've made the right decision Smiley smile

• *Mrs M to be*
    Beginner August 2014
    *Mrs M to be* ·
    • Hide content

Glad you settled on something. I reckon you'll be so glad you put it back when the day comes. It'll still come round quick. Especially as you're going to have so much going on in the next 2yrs.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics