Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner November 2012

Should fathers be in matching attire to groom and best man?

SamJK, 13 April, 2012 at 10:22 Posted on Planning 0 18

We are getting married in Nov this year, but we have cut back on bridesmaids and ushers etc, just to keep the costs down. (Which is probably going to upset some people but you cant please everyone!!

Anyway, we are unsure whether to dress our dads in matching outfits to the groom and best man. It was definately going ahead but we would be paying, therefore if we dont we would be saving about £180. I know it doesnt sound like a great deal but that money could pay for something else and were unsure whether to bother now! Its only a civil ceremony at an hotel so we can get away with the lack of ushers but is everyone else having their fathers in matching attire?

Thank you?

18 replies

Latest activity by amanda66, 13 April, 2012 at 18:55
  • Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I am not hiring suits for my dad or boys dad - I am going to get them a tie and maybe a waistcoat which they can wear with their own black suits, then they tie in but not so expensive. They both have decent suits they can wear

Though I may now be doing this for the ushers to save money and they all own a suit - so they may end up matching more than I thought Smiley smile

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I am not hiring suits for my dad or boys dad - I am going to get them a tie and maybe a waistcoat which they can wear with their own black suits, then they tie in but not so expensive. They both have decent suits they can wear

Though I may now be doing this for the ushers to save money and they all own a suit - so they may end up matching more than I thought Smiley smile

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

My dad will match, he's walking me down th aisle and is party of the 'wedding party' so I think he should. OH's dad is no longer with us so we dont have that worry, but if he was I think he would be so as not to be left out. I think you should either dress them both, or neither so they are both the same.

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

We're doing kilts for the men and I had wanted my OH's kilt to be extra special from the other Groomsmen kilts. But OH wanted his dad to be the same as him, so the FOG is identical to the Groom, but my brother who is doing the FOB bit since my dad is no longer with us, is wearing his own kilt which is a completely different tartan. We're being quite relaxed in that our ushers 1 can choose whatever tartan they like best and the other usher isn't keen on wearing a kilt and so has decided just to wear his own suit. This is saving us money as we have only had to pay for OH's kilt. His father is paying his own and I have offered to help 1 ushewr with the cost of his hire but not in full.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Ours wore their own suits, their choice. It didn't bother us. They don't have to wear the same, but as long as both of them match or not. You can't have one wearing a matching suit and one not.

• *BigBird*
    Beginner April 2013
    *BigBird* ·
    • Hide content

My Dad will be different to the groomsmen - He is wearing his kilt and all the bits that go with it lol. He will have matching cravat though.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

My OH will match OH, groomsmen and my bridesman. That's only because OH wanted him to match and we got a good deal on the suit hire price, I don't think there's any rule about it.

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content

My brother will be walking me down the isle and we will be hiring him the same suit as the grooms men, i think its just a nice offer to pay for the attire of the people you are "putting in" the wedding.

• Kayels
    Beginner May 2013
    Kayels ·
    • Hide content

My OH is wearing a different suit to everyone else as he wants to stand out. The Best men (he has two) and my dad are having matching suits but we arent getting one for his dad as it is abroad he doesnt really want to wear and we are fine with it as its going to be more of a casual affair anyhow. xx

• N
    Beginner April 2012
    Natjay ·
    • Hide content

We are hiring 5 suits for the groomsmen and H2b gets his free. (2x ushers best man 2x fathers. and h2b)

my page boy is just wearing a suit I purchaed of E...y as will only be 3years old so not bothered if he gets dirty.

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

I am hoping both Dads will match. The BM, OH and my Dad all bought the same suit but OH's Dad can be a bit difficult. We've offered to pay as we did for the others but he's still not sure he wants to wear it or not. Either way he will be given a cravat so he will match ish and I'm not too bothered if he doesnt.

• P
    Beginner June 2012
    Pockers ·
    • Hide content

We are prettly much the same Sam. We have hired for the groom and best man. Dad is walking me down the aisle bu wearing his own suit as we couldn't afford the hire for his too. Ours is civil ceremony and chilled out wedding too. I agree, would rather spend the money elseware.

• cford09
    Beginner March 2013
    cford09 ·
    • Hide content

Both our dads will be wearing the same suit as OH and best man as we are having no ushers so the expense won't be too great. But after we ordered them, they both said they would pay for their own anyway - bonus! Is this definitely not going to happen with your dads?

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

We're also on a tight budget. My OH bought his suit (because he needed to buy one anyway and he didn't want to wear a morning suit so it made sense for him to buy a grey suit that he COULD wear again) and his best man and usher are wearing their own grey suits. They'll all be slightly different cuts and shades of grey, but who cares! We've got them all matching ties and H2B and best man also have a hankerchief.

My dad fell in love with a lovely cream / sand silk and linen suit which he's wearing with a black and dark red silk tie. It looks great together, and we are all perfectly happy that he won't match anyone else (I think he'll like looking different :lol: ) I don't know yet what H2B's dad is wearing - we've got him a tie in case he wants it, but he has to to sort a suit out - we're leaving it up to him what he wears.

They will all have matching buttonholes so that's the 'uniform' that shoes that they are part of the bridal party!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

We have the Dads in the same - they are paying for their own hire though, we paid the deposit.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We were going to hire suits for my Dad and the Best men and Usher but it was too much hassle getting fittings with them living in Australia and not arriving until 2 days before so they are all wearing Black suits now and we are hiring wwaistcoats, cravats and shirts. OH and my 7 year old son will be in 3/4 length coat and stripe trouserswith waistcoat and cravat. I think dad should feel part of the bridal party and be dressed the same.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Not in the slighest.

Personally it makes me cringe a bit. I don't like men all wearing the same stuff at weddings.

• A
    Beginner September 2012
    amanda66 ·
    • Hide content

We have just bought suits today - dark grey with ivory shirt (matching my dress + flower girl) pink waistcoats with matching pink tie (matching bridesmaid dress)

Bought for OH, BM and my dad. OH's dad is no longer with us but had he been he would of had the same.We aren't having any page boys or ushers Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics