Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

George
Dedicated July 2023 Kent

Should i go to the party

George, 15 of October of 2022 at 20:06 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 2
Hey so my mother has a family party coming up and as I've started wearing dresses and ballet flats as a man I was planning on wearing that to the party but she recently messaged saying I should dress like a real man and not a gay one, what should I do? Should I wear a dress anyway, go in mens clothing or not go at all?

2 replies

Latest activity by Emily, 20 of October of 2022 at 17:14
  • K
    Savvy September 2023 East Sussex
    Kyla ·
    • Hide content
    George, I'm so sorry you're in this dilemma. You should always feel as comfortable in yourself and I think it's great you express yourself through your clothing.

The question is, are your family aware of the change in you attire choice or have they always seen in you "traditionally masc" clothing?
    Will you be setting yourself up for dealing with other people's negativity for the whole night if you go as you wish? How would you feel going as "not a gay man" (ouf, that's so horrible).
    Your personal peace is way more important than anyone's opinion or judgement. I'm sorry this isn't an answer, but from one queer person to another, I hope you do what feels best for you xx
  • Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    Ouch! Mum needs to back off!! Wearing a dress is what you like to wear, go for it. Do most of the other guests know you wear dresses and skirts? If not I'd would be a bit of a surprise. Mother could be worried about that? I think you should wear what you want and not what others want you to wear. Thing is, it's so hard, even as an adult, knowing our own minds, we don't want to upset parents, even if it means hiding a part of who you are. Another option could be a compromise, trousers and a feminine top/ blouse with nice jewellery? One of my friends wears typically female clothes and we were all on holiday together in Singapore a few uears ago- we were all a bit worried about how accepting they would be, but while my friend started in trousers and a top, by the end of the holiday he was in a dress and everyone was very accepting. Even the Chirch we went to didn't bat an eye.
    Good luck x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics