Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

missmandymoo
Dedicated August 2014

Should I haggle with this venue and how?

missmandymoo, 16 June, 2012 at 13:58 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi! Newbie here!

I'm getting married in Summer 2014 and I have found the most amazing country venue to hold the entire wedding. The price for hiring the venue exclusively for the day is £3500 for a Thursday, £5500 for a Friday and £6000 for Sat/Sun. These are 2012 prices but will be fixed if I book this year even though it's for 2014. I can supply my own drinks during the drinks reception and wedding breakfast with no corkage charge, after that, the bar opens selling 'pub price' alcohol. This is what they offer to all customers.

The no corkage charge and price fix already sounds like a good deal, so would it be cheeky to negotiate with them? I'm planning to have a Thursday wedding in either July or August. They do insist that I use their approved caterers who aren't cheap (a 3 course formal sit down wedding breakfast would start at £38 per head). Apart from negotiating on cost, I'm not sure what extras I can ask the venue for... they don't have accomodation, the caterers deal with the bar as well so it's not like I can ask the venue to throw in some bubbly either.

They are however, offering a £500 discount for late bookings at the moment. So maybe I can ask for an early booking discount? Seems a bit cheeky considering they're fixing the cost to 2012 price. I can pay the venue by cash. They're asking for 50% deposit but I can also pay in full by cash straight away (not sure whether that is a good idea though?).

Am I in a position to negotiate? If so how and what should I ask for? I've already asked whether I can use an external catering company rather than their. They've politely said that I can't and came up with some cost effective catering ideas which I am OK with.

I'm not sure whether £3500 is a good price and whether I can negotiate. Help!

12 replies

Latest activity by Going2theChapel, 17 June, 2012 at 12:56
  • LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

Definitly negotiate for a Thursday as they wont guarantee that they would get someone on a Thursday and would rather have less £ than none. I managed to negotiate on a Thursday in a venue that gets booked up every Fri - Sat throughout the year even though their Thursday price was a LOT cheaper already. Tell them your numbers and explain that the price is out by a set amount (but an amount where you would be able to/ want to meet them half way) and see what they can do. Good luck!

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

Although saying that if the £3500 includes all food, drink etc then it already sounds flipping amazing n they were probably making less profit off of that than my venue? (We negotiated down to £9000 for venue, food, drink for canapes and meal). Good luck

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

At our venue when we went for pricing I told them that the total amount was £500 over our budget, while haggling wasnt exactly successful they was very helpful in suggesting ways to keep the cost down without sacrificing too much x

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others - definitely negotiate on a Thursday as it is a quieter day.

If you have already purchased wedding insurance, then go ahead and offer to pay the full amount up front if they can offer a discount. If the booking falls through for any reason, you're covered by your insurance. I like your idea of pitching it as an 'early bird discount' and I think £500 is a good amount to ask for - if you don't ask, don't get. Be honest and tell them that you are struggling a bit. I find that most venues offer some really good money saving tips and options if you are honest with them because they want as many bookings as possible. We got £700 knocked off our hire price just by asking them what they could do to reduce the prices. They knocked off costs for spa treatments, champagne, toastmaster (didn't even know I had a toastmaster!) and so called 'free stationery' from thehire price.

Good luck x x x

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

Which venue is it?

Sounds like a very similar arrangement to our venue. We went for a Thursday wedding as well and tried to negotiate but as they're so popular they wouldn't budge (which is fair enough, they knew they'd probably get a booking anyway). They did offer us a very small discount if we paid the full amount upfront (think it might have been something to do with the change in VAT between when we booked and when final payment due), but we decided against it. They were a brilliant venue though, so even if they won't budge on negotiations, doesn't mean they won't be fab on your day.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was thinking it sounded like 'the ashes' in Staffordshire...if it is then its worth asking but I believe they are VERY popular and so you may not have much luck!! Worth a try x

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

£3500? just for venue hire?? How many people does the venue hold?

That sounds a lot to me your effectively just for use of a venue with no food or drinks.....

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep, that's where we got married...it sounds very similar!

They almost certainly won't negotiate on price, but they are absolutely fantastic and, OP, you won't regret going with them. They're brilliant and have some great supplier reccomendations.

If it is the ashes and you do go with them, let me know if you want any help/advice ?

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought the same, I'm getting married is the same area-ish at Somerford Hall on a thursday, my package including food and drink and exclusive use is £3000.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a massive bargaining chip........

I would though ensure that you pay by credit card or have insurance...we do occasionally hear about venues going bust, so you do want some safety.....

Peter

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the responses! The £3500 is for venue hire only and the venue can hold up to 150. And for those of you who have tried to guess the venue, you're absolutely right - it is The Ashes. From the posts on here it sounds like they aren't open to negotiation, which isn't a deal breaker as I love the venue so much. I might still try the 100% deposit but I won't be expecting too much if anything knocked off.

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha, knew it was! Have replied to your PM Smiley smile

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

For just venue hire on a thursday id be seriously trying to get them down on that!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics