Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner November 2024 Worcestershire

Should i have my Fiancé's sisters as bridesmaids?

Katie, 14 of January of 2024 at 11:25 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 3

Is it the standard thing to do?

3 replies

Latest activity by Shay, 17 of January of 2024 at 22:48
  • E
    Curious April 2024 Derbyshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content

I went through this same thought process. My fiancé has two sisters and I felt an obligation to have them as bridesmaids. In the end I opted for no bridesmaids and just my best friend as my Maid of Honour. That made it more simple. I invited my fiancé's sisters to my hen weekend which was a nice gesture, and they are both doing readings during the ceremony. I don't think there were any expectations for them to be bridesmaids though. It's your wedding, you make the decisions. Nobody should judge you for the decisions you make for your wedding.

You need people/bridesmaids with you who are going to support you and help you, not cause you stress or anxiety. Good luck! Smiley smile

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Emily. Bridesmaids are supposed to be there to support you on the day, so you want to pick people you are close to who you trust to be supportive and helpful. Any time you are wondering if you 'ought' to invite someone to be a bridesmaid, it's probably a pretty good inclination that you shouldn't!

If you want to include your future SILs in your wedding, then you could invite them to have another role such as doing a reading. Invite them to your hen do. But don't ask them to be bridesmaids unless you really want them to be.

• S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    I absolutely LOVE my sister in laws but I am not having them. Do I feel guilty? Yes I do actually. My thought process was if I have the girls on the day it means they were leaving their kids and partners at home (one lives away) whilst we get ready and that’s a lot on my mother in law too to look after them as they need help getting dressed and there’s a baby! Another reason is my fiance will probably be with them all the night before/ maybe morning of and they’re his family and they should enjoy it together.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics