Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sproggers
Beginner May 2012

Should I worried that I won't like my dress in the wedding photos?

sproggers, 10 February, 2011 at 20:41 Posted on Planning 0 9

I've bought my dress already even though we're not getting married till next year, it was exactly what I was looking for.

My problem is that I took a photo of it so I had something to look at to match colours for bridesmaids/flowers etc but the colour's come out quite pinky in the photo, so I've tried looking online but there's only one picture of the dres I can find and it's in white (mine's not Smiley smile and I don't like the photo of it!

What if it looks horrible in the wedding photos?

9 replies

Latest activity by Teri_M, 10 February, 2011 at 23:45
  • Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

What type of camera did you take the picture with and where were you when you took the picture?

Your TOG is likely to be using a really good quality camera which will produce much more 'true' colours in pictures. Plus he will know how to make the most of light indoors.

I think your pics will turn out just fine! Don't worry Smiley smile

• sproggers
    Beginner May 2012
    sproggers ·
    • Hide content

I took a photo in the wedding dress shop with just a normal digital camera and the only other photo I've seen of it (the white one) is on the designers website, not sure if I don't like it on there because of the colour or if I just don't like it!

Think I may get the wedding dress shop to bring it back to the shop (they've got it in storage as it's discontinued) n go have another look n try on n take some more photo's, hopefully it'll make me feel a bit better.

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

There are all kinds of factors that may be affecting the way the colour is coming out with the photos you took in the dress shop.

First, you say it's a white dress?

You used a digital camera?

The image on the dress designer's website would have been professionally lit, and processed to show the dress as it should look.

You should be aware that the artifical light in the shop will affect the colour tone of the dress, especially if you shot without flash. Even flash mixed with shop lighting could create an odd look to the white dress.

Check the settings on the camera as well, different settings will affect the white balance of the photo.

Lastly, is the only issue you have with the dress the colour it showed up on the photo, or have you changed your mind on the style as well?

Most expirenced photographers understand the affects of different types of light, and know how to counter them, they can set their cameras to manage the weird colour balance issues, as well as adjust them when they go to process them. So don't panic if you have a good photographer for the wedding, they should be proficient and know what to do.

• sproggers
    Beginner May 2012
    sproggers ·
    • Hide content

It's not a white dress it's platinum, the picture I took made it look like it had a pinky colour to it but it's got no pink in it at all, the only picture I can find online of it is white which I don't like but am hoping that it's just the colour on that that's putting me off it.

And also if anyone has a suggestion for colours for the bridesmaids and flower girl. The only colour I've found that I like with it so far is teal but I was hoping to put the flower girl in something different, if i'd picked a white or cream dress Id've gone for the same for the flower girl but I dn't think she's look right in platinum. Any suggestions welcome Smiley smile

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

Everything I said before still stands regardless if the dress is white, ivory, platinum, etc. If you like the dress, and how you look in it, you need to not get hung up on how it looked taken with a consumer camera, in a dress shop that doesn't have the most ideal light for photos. Drop me an email and if you can send one of the photos to me, I'll try to do some colour correction on it so you can see it a bit more like the colour it's meant to be. ******@*****.***

• ai3x
    Beginner September 2011
    ai3x ·
    • Hide content

Hmm that's a difficult one. Did you take the photo with natural window light, with flash or with the shop lights?

The reason I ask is that some florescent lights can put out a horrible pink glow. Your eyes won't notice it but if you're not careful a camera really can. If I were you, I'd take the dress outside quickly next time your at the shop and get a quick shot of it well away from any artificial light sources.

If it is due to the lights in the shop any decent photographer will almost certainly be able to deal with it.

Good luck!

Alex

• sproggers
    Beginner May 2012
    sproggers ·
    • Hide content

The picture I've been looking at is one I've cropped so I've just got the dress but I've just had a look at the original photo and my fmil has a red top on! lol Soooo I think maybe that may be where the pinky tint is coming from, especially seeing as it's on the side she's sat! How daft am I!? lol.

Thank you for your replies. x

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

Too funny! LOL,, yeah, could be a bit of her red being reflected, LOL. Carry on Smiley winking

p.s. to avoid the same in photos, don't have bridesmaids in red! LOL

I know you mentioned teal dresses,, but you may have the issue of any colour dress where the bridesmaids are standing next to you may cast a bit of colour onto you, what about ivory bridesmaids dresses,, that leaves you open to all sort of colours to use for the flowers.

• sproggers
    Beginner May 2012
    sproggers ·
    • Hide content

Do you not think that it would be a bit wishy washy, platinum and ivory?

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

I had a bride a few years ago who had the bridesmaids in ivory and it was stunning. The flowers were varied with the main flowers pink. It was really pretty, and her dress was ivory with touches of platinum. What about ivory with duck egg blue sashes, or some other colour sashes? I think you could really do alot with that. Maybe some talented person could do a mood board for ideas?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics