Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner

Should we change wedding date?

GoldenRetriever, 21 of August of 2017 at 11:49 Posted on Planning 0 4

HELP!!! I would appreciate any advice please, I'm not sure if I am being completely unreasonable or if I am right to stick to my guns? ?

FI and I have booked our wedding venue and registrar for Saturday of a Bank Holiday weekend next year.

FSIL has just taken on a job which means she will be overseas for the majority of next year, so before we started to consider our dates we asked her to let use know when she could fly back to the UK. She told us not to worry as she will arrange the time off to attend. We went onto find a venue that we liked and decided on 5th May - before booking and paying a deposit we went back to FSIL and asked if she could do that date, again she said that it'll be fine and will arrange the time off.

So in June we went ahead and booked the venue and registrar paying deposits for both - we were excited to finally have a date sorted and told all of our family and friends. Then last week we received a phone call from FMIL asking if we could change the date as FSIL would find it difficult to attend. We have also since received messages for FSIL asking to change the dates.

The thing is, I really don't want to change the date. As most of my family and friends will have to travel a fair distance they have already started to make arrangements for hotels, childcare etc with a couple of people already paying up front for their accommodation. FSIL has suggested 2 Saturdays she can do and the hotel that is next door to the venue is showing as fully booked (which is where most guests were planning to stay.) Another reason is my brother is in the forces and will be posted outside of the UK during all of these dates, he is more likely to be able to attend on the date we've booked and not so much the dates suggested.

The venue do have availability on the alternative dates and are willing to transfer the deposit, but I just don't feel happy about these dates. I was really glad to secure a bank holiday weekend as it meant all the guests travelling wouldn't have to rush off on the Sunday.

Should I stop being so selfish and change the date? FI and his sister get on well but I wouldn't necessarily consider them to have a close relationship either. ?

4 replies

Latest activity by Chapples, 22 of August of 2017 at 12:25
  • H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds to me that changing the date would upset the masses (including you -which counts for more than "just guests") to please one person (two if you count FMIL) so I'd stick to the date you have. FSIL already "approved" it (when you didn't even have to ask her) so can't ask you to change after you've started booking things.

Just my opinion though... Possibly see how your SO feels about all this and talk it out

• S
    Beginner April 2018
    shanmia35 ·
    • Hide content

Stick to your guns. If she said she can do the date before you booked, she's just going to have to make it work - especially if you've already confirmed the date with other guests.

Imagine how you would feel if you moved the date, only for her to again say "Actually, that doesn't work for me either."

It's your big day and you have to do what's best for you and all your guests - not just one. Appreciate it might be a bit awkward but I would just say you checked with her beforehand and now that other guests have started to arrange accommodation, it's too late to change.

• S
    Beginner May 2019
    Steakandguiness ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely not! It is your big day not hers, she should be bending over backwards to attend your wedding not you bending over backwards so she can be there. It is very selfish and self-centred on her half. You did the right thing and asked her before hand its her fault she didn't organise it before hand. Seriously though stick to your guns other wise you will majorly regret it! especially if you start messing other people around they might start cancelling or being unable to attend, and if your brother is more likely to do those dates than her why is she more important than him?

Its completely ridiculous that they expect you to change your dates because she 'might find it a bit difficult to attend'

So what?

• P
    Beginner September 2017
    PinkGems254 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think I would stick to your original date but I would say that it is really important to talk to your partner and make sure you are both aligned on what you are going to do.

You have already ask her on a number of occasions and she said she would work around you / didn't give you any dates to avoid then I think you have been more than fair. If changing the date was easy i.e no-one had booked accommodate yet, rooms were available etc then I would be more inclined to more it but it sounds like it will create a lot more hassle / upset by changing the date.

I also agree with an earlier comment that what would you do if you moved it and then she said she couldn't make that date either? We had something similar when we got engaged and chose a date as my partners brother then said they were planning the same month for their wedding, so we moved to a different month and then they changed their mind as well and said the same month as us for a second time. We told them we weren't moving our date again, its caused a few problems which weren't nice but it reaches a point were this is your wedding and you have to do what is right for both of you. Unfortunately you can't always please everyone

I hope you get this sorted out without too much hassle!

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I'd obviously speak to your OH but she's not saying she can't come, just that she'd find it difficult - so if it were me I'd proceed with the date she already said would work for her - you need to consider your other guests & where they would stay etc, whilst it'd be nice to accommodate her changing requests, you'll unfortunately never find a date that works for everyone when it comes to wedding planning.

Also if people have already paid upfront for their accommodation, I'd find that a reasonable reason to say no if it were me requesting the change of date! But it's your wedding day & if that's the date you're set on, go for it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics