Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2017

Should we provide a meal for photographer/wedding day planner?

MrsPtoB, 10 of May of 2017 at 19:11 Posted on Planning 0 15

Just wondering if we should be providing a meal for the photographer and the wedding planner who will be with us on the day to make sure everything runs smoothly?

I would think yes but I don't actually know what the done thing is?

15 replies

Latest activity by Bobbys_Girl, 16 of May of 2017 at 20:43
  • 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Our photographer insists on it- it's in his contract- which frankly I think is a bit of a cheek but he's good so...!!

Why don't you ask them if they would like a meal? Also bear in mind if there is anywhere other than your reception room for them to eat... if not then before you ask think about how you'll feel about them becoming a guest effectively if they have to sit with everyone!!

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

It's in our photographers contract for us to provide a meal. And also our videographer. I think sometimes the venue you will do different meal, our VOG just wanted a single course, not three courses.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

How else will they get something to eat? They're shooting your wedding and your speeches etc, not feeding them is a great way of getting a really grumpy photographer.

• Dewan Demmer Photography
    Dewan Demmer Photography ·
    • Hide content

Talking as a photographer I will say I, myself, do not expect a meal, however it does help. I often begin early in the morning, and once I arrive and get started I pretty much do not stop, I might pause to absorb some wet in a cup as I am photographing but the only time I actually stop is when I stop to have a little meal. In all honesty sometimes I have the luxury of a 20 minutes to enjoy my food but on many occasions I have just enough time to sit down appreciate having something warm to eat and then it is back to work.

As I mentioned I personally do not expect a meal, however it does make my day a little easier and in all fairness it does mean I am not running after caterers trying to find a microwave or a plate to put my sandwich so I do not mess. As a photographer I am quite happy to get out of the way and out of sight of everyone, this means everyone gets to enjoy their meal with my camera and I get a few minutes to stop and go through the rest of the day in my head.

I will say to date, that at every Wedding I have had the pleasure to photograph each couple has considered me and arranged that I have a meal.

• F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsTz ·
    • Hide content

Its in the T's & C's that we have to provide our photographer with a meal, which I can understand as it must be hard going all day without some proper food.

Our caterer does a little meal pack for them which has hot food and some snacks in it, so we have ordered one of those xx

• L
    Beginner April 2018
    LuxuriousOrangeDiamonds745 ·
    • Hide content

My tog has asked for a meal or they will leave the venue for 1 hour to get something... so gonna provide a meal!

my first wedding the tog left during the meal as had a half day package so didn't need to feed him. So check.

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

I'm providing a meal for our TOG & two VOGs - the caterers offer something specifically different for them so it's not as much as a guests meal - I think they all said they'll find somewhere to sit down & eat away from the guests to give everyone a break from being papped while they eat, which is fair enough in my book!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I prefer to take my own supplies because I like to get shots in between the courses as the bride and groom visit the tables there will be a good 10 mins as the last plates are cleared and no one is eating. The problem is as a supplier you are served last as they are concentrating on the wedding party, by the time I get mine the bride and groom have finished that course and are visiting some tables which can be some good relaxed shots to get, so I either have to eat it fast or leave it - only to return after some shots to find it gone.

Other times I am told that there is food for me but the venue know nothing about it, I have to find the head server who doesn't appreciate the interruption who then goes to ask the bride and groom - all very embarrassing.

Other times there is no head server to be found so you have to ask another member of staff who disappears and you dont see them again.

So I find it much better to take my own supplies and that way I am the one in control and can have a snack when it suits me so that I do not miss any shots. I also think that you are paying enough without having to pay for my dinner too.

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

I think most put it in there contracts now but if it isn't and you want to feed them just offer.

We

We only booked our photographer for 3 hours as we were on a small budget so he should of left before the food but my husband made sure he had snacks, drinks and sweets and said that he's more then welcome to stay and eat. He even made him a up a lunch bag (which he bought specially for him) to take with him as he was going to explore the area after. In the end he stayed a lot longer then he was payed for taking photos and said he had a great day.

• L
    Beginner July 2017
    LuxuriousIvoryDiamonds550 ·
    • Hide content

It seems like every photographer is different. Our photographers are going to be there all day until the first dance and out of courtesy I asked them if they would like a meal providing. Nothing was stated in the contract. My photographers don't need a meal as they said if speeches we're to be before the meal they would leave after that to have their dinner then return but if the speeches was after the meal they would need a meal providing. We had already decided we was doing speeches first so those that are speaking can get it done with and enjoy their meal so for this reason we won't be providing them meals. It's better to ask them if nothing is stated in your contract.

• jeffshamphoto
    Savvy March 2015
    jeffshamphoto ·
    • Hide content

Speaking as a photographer and also as someone who recently-ish got married...

I don't put a meal in my terms, and I don't expect one. But it is very nice to have food provided. I usually get a main (caterers usually have spare mains anyway), but I've also had the full 3 courses. Sometimes I've even been included in the table plans, which is a nice touch.

Speaking as a groom, we provided our photographer a meal from the bar. We also asked if they wanted the full wedding dinner and sit with guests, but they declined to. Their choice.

Also, I think more couples and venues should be aware - photographers should be fed FIRST, not last after all guests. Usually once guests have all been served, the photographer is fed last, and it's a rush to finish eating before speeches or before guests start to roam tables (lots of candid moments). Feeding the photographer first means that we eat while there are no photo opportunities while other guests are being served their dinner and eating. It just makes logistical sense.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I usually get fed without asking. So I never ask.

Where it can go wrong is if you're told by a couple you'll be fed and are handed an M+S sandwich and a packet of crisps in a carrier bag to cover you for a whole 12 hours shooting their wedding in the middle of nowhere with no access to fluids because the caterers only cater for the guests and you can't leave the site for anything else because the nearest place is 20 miles away.

Another way it can go wrong is if you pay for a supplier meal but they supplier doesn't get it or it gets given to them just as the speeches start as we generally get considered last, even if it screws up our photo timeline.

The most important thing though is to tell them in advance if they'll have anything or not and if so, what it'll be. Many of us feel it's cheeky to expect it and a supplier main mean can litterally be a chicken wing, half a potato and three sticks of asparagus. You'll get stung £30 for it and it'll serve no purpose because it's a dish meant to be part of a three course meal.

A burger, lasagne or something like that, carbs basically, is what we really need. Weddings are so physically intensive that if we're on an empty stomach, or aren't prepared food wise the work suffers as a result.

• Montysmum
    Beginner March 2018
    Montysmum ·
    • Hide content

Ours has it in her terms that she gets dinner, but to be fair I wouldn't expect anyone to work a long day on their feet without food.Weddings I've been to before the photogs have sat in the bar for their dinner (not sure how this works at our venue as we don't have a separate bar). Also went to a wedding and the photographer was sat with us for dinner, she was probably the most interesting person at the table!

• M
    Beginner September 2017
    MrsPtoB ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all. I did think we should at least offer him food but wondered what usually happens. We're meeting with him in July so will ask then. Would be fine if he did want to eat a 3 course meal as we are having a small wedding and we have to pay for 20 adults even though a couple of them can't come.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I work

at regular venues and usually, the venue team offer food to me at no cost to the couple....Shame on those venues that try to make a few quid on the couple.....There is always food "over" so why should they charge for it???

Peter

• Bobbys_Girl
    Beginner October 2017
    Bobbys_Girl ·
    • Hide content

Ours is with us all day so will get in extra breakfast pastries for him, plus extra sandwiches as I am ordering in a platter for us all as we get ready. We are having a high tea at the reception so will ask him if he wants a plate set up or my other idea was to give him the brasserie menu and let him choose a meal from there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics