Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsFoster2b
Beginner June 2014

Should we tell the vicar??

MrsFoster2b, 13 December, 2010 at 16:43 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hello!

We are planning our wedding for 2013 and are in the initial stages of wedding planning!! Lots of questions buzzing around in my head so no doubt i'll be back for lots more advice, but the first dilemma I have is regarding speaking to the vicar about the church service itself and asking him to marry us.

Both my fiance and myself have our hearts set on being married at his local parish church. Neither of us are particularly religious or attend church, but sadly H2B has lost both of his parents and their funerals were carried out at this particular church. As his parents can't be with us we would like the ceremony at the church as we would feel 'closer' to them. I also want to lay my bridal bouquet on their grave after the service before we head off to the reception venue (this isn't particularly relevant to my question but just to explain why we want this church service!)

We have been living together for just over a year and have been engaged since summer. We haven't yet spoken to the vicar about marrying us but we will be doing this early in the new year. My question is whether we should say we are living together or if I should give my parents' address so that he thinks we are doing things the "right" way? I know it sounds awful to consider telling a lie, especially to the vicar we want to marry us! but I don't want to risk him refusing to marry us as it is sooooo important to us (especially h2b for the reasons above). I'm not sure if this is even an issue in modern times - he may be absolutely fine with it - I've seen other brides say that their priest told them that those couples who live together first often are the happiest married. I've checked the church's website and can't see any info about marriage or weddings, and I don't know anyone else who has married in this church, so it's all a bit of a gamble.... any suggestions???

Thanks so much!!

12 replies

Latest activity by Little Madam, 15 December, 2010 at 10:07
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I think the "link to why you want to get married in that parish" is probably more important to the vicar rather than the fact you're living together, unless he really is a hard traditionalist.

Be honest - I'm sure he'd be more angry to find out after that you'd lied than to be given the truth in the first place.

If he does refuse I'm sure there is some sort of appeals procedure anyway.

Expect to be required to take 'marriage preparation classes' though.

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

In my experience, they don't really care if you live together or not.. My Sister had been living with her then Fiance for 7 years before they married and it made no difference ?

I think it is a little weird that you would want to marry in church when you aren't religious, I'd be more worried about the Vicar finding that out to be honest lol. You could quite easily pop the bouquet on their grave if you didn't marry in church but I guess it's upto you. I just don't personally think it's right to use the church for a religious ceremony when you're not religious.

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

I would just be honest, but i have to agree with BrideBrat. I dont really condone religious ceremonies if neither of you are practising.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I think it must be wonderful to find a couple who have such touching reasons to want to be married in a particular place and I suspect this might far outweigh any disapproval at the "living in sin" concept. Is it C of E? Aren't they pretty "right on" about these things? It's worth noting that I know someone who "appealed" and was refused - vicar has final say, at least in her parish.

• MrsFoster2b
    Beginner June 2014
    MrsFoster2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for the advice (and such quick responses!). Honesty is always the best policy I guess - I'm still nervous that it may hinder our plans but I really believe that everything happens for a reason and if it's meant to be then it'll work out and if not then i'll make other plans. Please keep your fingers crossed for us tho! Smiley smile

I appreciate the views for and against religious ceremonies when you aren't practicing - I didn't go into our specific details as it wasn't the basis of my original question, but just to clarify (not to start a debate) - when I said "not particularly religious" it was more of a throw away comment in that we aren't regular church attenders etc and I couldn't hand on heart claim to be a "religious person" in my day to day life, however I suppose there are more ways to live a good life than visiting church. We are both CofE christened and were brought up regularly involved with the church in various ways. We both believe in the sanctity of marriage and want to be married in church for that reason too, in the eyes of God - but yes, being honest, the most important thing above all else is being able to bring close his parents on the day when they can't be there in usual ways.

Thanks again for all your advice,

Cheers everyone x

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you'll have a problem considering that not only do we live together but I am also divorced ? and the vicar agreed to marry us (hooray)

HTH x

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

MrsFoster2B - on the basis of your last post, I can't see a vicar having an issue with you living together before marriage. He or she will want to be sure of your love and commitment to each other and to God, rather than who sleeps on what side of the bed.

Definitely better to be honest and upfront.

• B
    Beginner October 2010
    Babybee12 ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure the vicar won't give two hoots that you're living together! In this day and age it's a rare thing for couples not to live together before getting married. My OH and I have been together for 16 years and have a 2 year old, who we had Christened straight after our wedding ceremony, so clearly some pre-marital hanky panky had occured at some point! Our vicar just wanted to know why we'd decided to get married after all these years and not done so before.

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

Our vicar wasn't bothered about us living together, though as AJ said we are going to a marriage preparation day - I think thats a good thing though as its not just the vicar who will be there but a legal representative and marriage councellor etc so I think it will be a positive thing. My friend got married in a church last year and she has lived with her husband (as he is now) for many years and they have two kids so I don't think it will be a problem.

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

I told my vicar that I was living with my OH becuase otherwise I would have to arrange banns at 3 different churches (kill me!) so yeah! lol x

• MrsFoster2b
    Beginner June 2014
    MrsFoster2b ·
    • Hide content

Aww thanks everyone! Really put my mind at rest! Very stressful and i've not even started the planning bit! haha. I'll let you know what happens in the new year once i've been to the church.

If anyone has any examples of the questions they were asked then feel free to spill the beans... I've heard everything from just needing to fill in names and addresses on a form with one of the clergy and getting put straight in the diary, to having a full interview and then attending wedding preparation classes! I'm sure it varies from church to church but it's interesting to hear of people's experiences.

Thanks again x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Hey and welcome to hitched!

I wouldn't think you would have a problem, here are the rules:

https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/youre-welcome/more-churches-to-choose-from.aspx

I think that under the following rule you should be fine:

That one of your parents, at any time after you were born:

• has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months

Our Vicar hasn't asked whether we live together or not, although he would know from the address details we gave but I don't think it is an issue these days.

We are also in the same boat as you - whilst I wouldn't say I am not religious, I am not a strict practioner to the point where I follow all of the churches principles. That said, our child will be christened and I probably attend church once every few months now. It used to be twice a week up until the age of 16.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics