Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Showing presents

4 November, 2012 at 23:18 Posted on Planning 0 9

I have no idea where this comes from but I am getting all these people on my side (none on OH's side) asking when I am showing my wedding presents. Apparently I am meant to go to my parents house and every night the week prior to the wedding, entertain people who bring presents to the house and then show them what other people have bought me. I remember as a child being dragged by my mother to see someone's present and thinking at the time that it was very strange and nosey. But has anyone else heard of this?

Simply I have refused to do this, any presents that are coming to my parents house I pick up and then bring back to the apartment. OH's family bring presents to the wedding mainly or have sent us money via our honeyfund pledges.

9 replies

Latest activity by SuperDuff, 5 November, 2012 at 14:05
  • Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I didn't think anyone still did this.

My parents had to do it but I got the impression it was just an excuse for their parents friends to get together for a night. It was only one night though rather than a week.

• snow-woman
    Beginner April 2013
    snow-woman ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of this!! A few of my friends kinda did it the other way round - having a BBQ for close family and friends the day after and opening presents...but i think it was more to let the fun continue rather than let people inspect the presents!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I have never heard of this!

I could imagine my ma or his mum being interested in what people may buy us but I doubt any one else would!

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

I've never even heard of this! Sounds a bit "look what so & so bought, it's better than yours" to me!

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! I don't like the idea of this as I think the gifts people give you are a personal thing, and as someone else said, people may feel that they are being compared! x

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of this!! How strange..

If you don't want to do it, then don't. As if you've not got anything else to do rather than have other people over gawping at stuff they didn't buy you!!

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of this and TBH can't think of anything I'd like to do less the week before the wedding! If you don't want to do it, don't i doubt anyone will be upset!

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of this. I wouldn't be inclined to do it - I'm not sure what it adds, other than potential awkwardness in the "better present than your's" stakes.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics