Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

Significance of a round vs square cake, and also number tiers

SoontobeMrsSSmith, 7 December, 2010 at 10:30 Posted on Planning 0 17

One of the other ladies at my playgroup mentioned that there is a symbolic or superstitous significance to the difference between a round and square wedding cake and also the number of tiers indicates something.

The other mums were nodding too, that that is the case. But no one knew anything specific.

Can anyone on here elaborate?

17 replies

Latest activity by arnold2b, 8 December, 2010 at 18:32
  • Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of that before.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Found this - In Britain early cakes were flat and round and contained fruit and nuts which symbolise fertility.

The shape of the modern three tiered iced cake is believed to have been inspired by the spire of Saint Bride's Church in the City of London. It is said that unmarried guests who place a piece of wedding cake under their pillow before sleeping will increase there prospects of finding a partner and bridesmaids who do likewise will dream of their future husbands.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

As with most superstitions, any meaning or power you give them is purely your choice rather than them having any power themselves.

If you want a 15 tiered hexagonal cake, or one tier moulded into the shape of a rabbit, then there's no reason you can't have either.

I have never heard of any "significance" given to the shape, size or style of a wedding cake and personally I wouldn't care about it if there was either as I don't do that sort of thing.

Similarly with 'traditions' - they aren't part of the legal requirement of getting married so again you choose whether you wish to follow any of them, and nobody has any reason or right to complain if you don't follow any.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I agree with AJ and I doubt whether most people would know the significance either. If I liked style, shape, size of a cake I would go for it purely for those reasons.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The significance of agreeing with me ... or the style of cake?

?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

The cake aj!!!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Isn't the whole "round cake" thing a symbol of everlasting love like the wedding rings. My Mum says you shouldn't have a square cake because you don't want any sharp corners in your marriage. Not sure if that's just my Mum though!

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think thats the kind of thing they were hinting at. But it seems no one else on here had heard anything about it. I hadn't either, which is why I was curious.

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

We went with square purely because you get more slices per tier ?

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    arnold2b ·
    • Hide content

I tend not to really believe in all the superstition, i just want a cake that looks and tastes great! we are having our bride and groom on the top made for us, so that they are little replica's of us, thought that was a nice personal touch and could be a good keepsake. i was going to include a photo of the cake but can't seem to do that :-S

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

We had square too as its easier to cut up, plus I like clean lines and shapes (I'm a bit OCD). I agree with AJ, have what you want and nobody will be any the wiser on the meaning of the shape.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Can't find anything on the number of tiers, but found this random website:

http://www.weddings.co.uk/info/tradsupe.htm#cake

Not saying I believe it, but that's what it's all about. Might do the "ring in the cake" thing if cake lady will allow it.

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    arnold2b ·
    • Hide content

Thought I would see what you thought of this for a cake? (sorry I hijacked your post a little, but it is still about cake!)

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Really? Where would you get them from?

Hmmm, it doesn't look very "vintage" though does it so not sure it'd fit with our theme

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    arnold2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! we are going to get ours made, so we can guarantee the quallity of it and dont have to worry about transporting it. the cake shop we are getting it from sold lots of things to help make your own cakes though, so have a look round and see if there is a local cake shop you could go to and see what they have. i just google image everything i like to help me decide what to have

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics