Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

slinkysarah
Beginner June 2011

Signing register in church

slinkysarah, 25 February, 2011 at 16:10 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hope this isn't a stupid question! When we sign the register we go into a different room don't we? Who comes with us? I originally wanted some songs playing while we sign it but then the guests won't have anything to listen to, so would I have the organist playing instead?

As you can tell I have never been to a church wedding before!!

x

9 replies

Latest activity by PeteKelk, 28 February, 2011 at 16:14
  • S
    Beginner January 2009
    sammy_wheeler ·
    • Hide content

Pretty sure its the same room- defo is with my civil wedding- you need 2 witness to sign it with you

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I think it varies. Our church has a table at the front, in the same room for you to sign.

I'd imagine if you go elsewhere it will be you, the vicar and your witnesses.

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

I have the vicar coming round next week I will have to check, thanks for the fast replies!

• IDoWeddings
    IDoWeddings ·
    • Hide content

Most churches will do somewhere close to the main body of the church. Ours is in the Lady Chapel just to the side and the guests can still see. Who goes with you depends on the church. At ours our witness will go with us and the the whole bridal party will also join us as we will walk back down the aisle from here.

Just ask your vicar or priest and they will tell you.

As do for music most organists will automatically play through this part of the service you just need to decied if you wanted something in particular played or you want a soloist or something. At our church some couples have even had cds of a certain song they want.

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the size of the church. In ours we will go into one of the chapels which are off the side of the main altar, so we will be able to hear the music while we sign but won't be being stared at by everyone! But some smaller churches just have a table set just off-centre where you sit - just completely depends on the space. I would ask during your wedding rehearsal (or before if you want!) if you are unsure - your vicar should be able to help.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

Our church have told us we will sign in front of our guests so not going to another room. A few church weddings I have been to have gone to another room but most have been in church- check with your priest/vicar.

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

When I married in church we went to the vestry and the organist played something while we were in there . We took the witnesses only and parents.

• jordas20
    jordas20 ·
    • Hide content

Yes, the organist will play (if you have hired them) - or you can, with the priest's permission, play from a cd. A live musician is best as they can bring their music to a gentle stop as you reappear - plus it's so much more encapsulating than a CD!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

The signing location depends on variable at the church. You may be limited in numbers if the vestry is the signing location and is small. In this case, witnesses and parents would go in leaving the bridesmaids and sometimes the best man in the main part of the church.

The real question is what part of the ceremony does the signing take place. If its at the end, you would usually do an exit procession with all of the bridal party. If its during the ceremony and you are coming back in to the main part of the church for another hymn or final blessing, it changes the dynamic a little.

Peter

• PeteKelk
    PeteKelk ·
    • Hide content

It depends entirely on the church / vicar. You'll need to ask them what their arangements are.

You will at the bare minimum, need to take two witnesses.

PK xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics