Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kizzi10000
Beginner August 2016

Signing the register - how long does it take?

kizzi10000, 24 of July of 2016 at 08:44 Posted on Planning 0 8

I'm sure I've read a similar post in the past, but I can't find it ☹️

Have finally pinned the OH down to discuss music, and we've come up with a few songs, just not sure how to allocate them. Got music for walking in, so just signing the register and walking out.

For a register office ceremony, does anyone know how long it will take for register signing? Don't know how many songs to put down for this bit to make sure we're covered.

8 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 27 of July of 2016 at 12:57
  • o0o_Charlie_o0o
    Beginner August 2016
    o0o_Charlie_o0o ·
    • Hide content

I was told to have one song for walking in, two songs for signing the register and one song for walking out

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

A Church wedding takes much longer as the vicar has to write most of it out there and then but a register office type is mush quicker because the second registrar in attendance starts writing out all the names once the ceremony has started, there is the names of the bride and groom and also the witnesses and then also the bride and grooms names on the marriage certificate all to be done.

One song for a Church is not enough but you will may be finished before the end of the second song

6 mins Church

3 mins reg office

then in both cases a couple of mins for the photos. if it is a church then you may need to include the photos in the music times as you may be doing it out of sight of your guests but a reg office is done right there in front of everyone and there isnt the same kind of awkward silence when the music runs out.

Most cases you will have someone on the music volume to fade out the music when it is no longer needed as do you when you walk in, make sure it gets faded out because sometimes I hear that it just gets stopped which kinda spoils the whole ambiance there is no harm in having extra music for back up.

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

We got married in a church and it does take longer, we choose 2 songs but added a 3rd at the last minute.

If I was you I'd definitely have at least 2 songs.

signing didn't take long but the pen the church gave us ran out of ink so the priest ran off to get one then the photographer decided the biro was to rubbish for the photos so the best man ran off to ask guests for a nicer pen, mum bless her had a selection to chose from, because of all this we went into the 3rd song.

I'd plan for things going wrong and taking longer, it won't matter if you don't hear the extra songs.

• Justkeepswimming
    Beginner July 2016
    Justkeepswimming ·
    • Hide content

We were told to have 3 songs for signing the register. It doesn't take very long to actually sign it but then there is usually a few mintutes for photos afterwards before you walk out. Don't forget some music for while the guests arrive too, we were asked to bring 15 mins worth of music for that. Not sure if that varies depending on the venue though.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone ?. Sat him down yesterday and we found 3 songs for the register to hopefully cover all contingencies should there be anything wrong on the day.

Didn't give an option for music while waiting for everyone to settle, so got me going in, signing the register, and us walking out.

Just need to buy the cd's now as that's the format they need everything on

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not necessarily a universal thing - our marriage certificate/the register will all be filled in prior to the ceremony. OH will then double check it before I arrive and the only thing that needs to be done then is for us and the witnesses to sign and date it.

That being said, we have been told to allow about 8 or 9 minutes - that way we can have a little breather and also take the photo's needed.

Not really sure about a registry office though.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Is this Scotland because in my understanding in England entry's in the register book are not supposed to be added until the Marriage has actually taken place, and by the person who conducted the wedding, the register book is also in duplicate, each of you and your 2 witness sign both books after checking that your names are correct and then the vicar is the last to sign.

A little different with a civil ceremony but the 2nd registrar still only starts to fill in the details once the vows have been made, to that end they may sometimes encourage that you have a reading or add your own words which gives them more time to write out the register books so that by the time its all over all that is left to do is the 4 signatures.

I know a registrar very well as I photographed her wedding and I will ask, I also have a Church wedding tomorrow with one of my favourite vicars and shall ask them too about the register book.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're having a church wedding. I am just going by what our priest has told us.

Everything will be filled in prior for my OH to double check, before my procession - then signatures will be added as appropriate once we are married.

• Hide content

As promised here is what I have found out from my local registrar and local Reverend

Civil ceremony.

Officially nothing should be added to the register until the contracting words have been said. Ending with "my lawful wedded". Once these words have been said the couple are married. BUT different districts set different rules for staff as to when they are allowed to start writing. Some start to write after the declaratory words have been said. AS in "I do solemnly declare". - so the starting words and not the last word. This is just to give more time to write the entry and not be rushing and therefore make a mistake. But registrars have the advantage over the reverend who is on there own.

COE ceremony

Again the rules are the same here as in nothing should be added, but not being allied to the council and all the bureaucracy that go's with that, ultimately with a boss to answer to, the reverend feels a little more relaxed to make entries before the ceremony has started, and in the peace of the vicarage or vestry. Otherwise as being on their own it would take too long and has the added risk of a mistake. The amount that is filled in is dependant on the reverend but it seems it is done no earlier than the day itself.

Timings, here is the exact photo data from my last wedding

Start to sign 2:45.30

Bride and groom done at 2:48.18

Witnesses done and first of 3 photos with the register 14:52.48

Last shot with the register 14.53

Start to walk down the isle after a last prayer and blessing 14:53.32

Two songs were done but as being done by a choir I have a feeling that they were tailored to match the signing

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics