Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alex
Curious July 2024 Kent

Sil being a nightmare already

Alex, 11 January, 2024 at 09:54 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 6
Just needing to vent really but please feel free to share your own in law to be dramas!

SiL is come from the USA where she has lived the last 16 years. She’s become very Americanised, we have been bombard with questions about the day, & why aren’t we doing xxxx, taking the piss because I referred to the wedding breakfast and carriages in the timeline, told the day is too long, and she is now complaining because we aren’t inviting children (her kids are invited as my H2b niece and nephew but wider family aren’t) we are capped on numbers and frankly don’t want 30 kids at the wedding. Rather than accept it’s our day she has started bombarding my fiancé with text messages telling him we are being unfair, and we should make exceptions for his side of the family and allow kids (completely ignoring my side and their children) even say we are spoiling the whole day for her🤪

6 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 17 January, 2024 at 14:22
  • Alex
    Curious July 2024 Kent
    Alex ·
    • Hide content
    She is now saying her daughter (not in the bridal party and aged 8) wants to wear this. I hope/ think she is just trying to get a rise out of me. I’ve never even met this woman🙄

Sil being a nightmare already 1

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Probably best to get your fiance to deal with her as much as possible, so that you don't get branded as 'the horrible woman my brother married' for arguing with her!!!

I would suggest discussing and agreeing boundaries with your fiance and then just trotting out the same standard comments every time SIL gives you grief. Don't get into debate or argument - it's your wedding, not hers, so you don't have to justify any of your decisions. "Sorry you are disappointed at our decision to exclude children, but we are limited on numbers because of our venue." "Sorry you are disappointed by our decision to do x, but our plans are finalised and it's too late to change them." If she realises that she's only ever going to get the same stock answers from both of you, then hopefully she will give up.

As for the child's dress - you can't actually prevent her turning up in whatever her mother sees fit to dress her in. I would have your fiance point out that this dress would not be regarded as appropriate at a UK wedding, but not make a big deal of it. If SIL is genuinely open to doing the right thing, being told it's not appropriate will be enough to change her mind. If she's determined on having her daughter steal the show, the more you try to stop the kid turning up dressed as a mini bride, the more the mother will be set on that!

• Alex
    Curious July 2024 Kent
    Alex ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You are completely right, I won’t say more because it’s a public forum!
  • Alex
    Curious July 2024 Kent
    Alex ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, I think you are both right. Your kind words have helped, I was starting to think I was being unfair
  • Aneeha
    Beginner July 2024 West Midlands
    Aneeha ·
    • Hide content

Ugh I feel for you. I've been bombarded with my family wanting to invite people that I don't even know. Literally had the biggest blowout imaginable because other family stuff for brought up. Lots of crying and avoiding talking about the issues! My finance came home and found me lying on the sofa, crying in the dark! Weddings are so unnecessarily stressful! People just forget its not about them. Its about you and your fiance! And that's it. Other people just need to smile and wave Smiley laugh

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

"Other people just need to smile and wave"

I feel this needs to be printed onto a t-shirt for every wedding-planning bride to wear constantly!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics