Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sunset21
Beginner

Silly: Nice smelling washing...

Sunset21, 22 of September of 2008 at 15:47 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 19

How come other people have nice smelling washing but mine doesn't really smell of anything? I use Bold washing powder and the washing smells when it comes out of the machine but by the time it's been tumble dried or line dried there's no smell to it. MIL is also making me paranoid cause she basically told me our clothes had a smell of wee about them. Is fabric conditioner the answer? I always thought that was a bit of a waste when Bold was supposed to have softener already in it. We must live in a hardwater (or is it softwater?) area as our rubber on the machine gets grungy quite quickly, I do a hot wash with soda crystals once a month or so, as recommended by the washing machine repair man.

19 replies

Latest activity by Swift, 29 of August of 2020 at 09:37
  • A
    Beginner February 2006
    Alexm ·
    • Hide content

I have this problem too (not the smelling of wee bit!), everyone else's washing always seems to smell lovely and mine just doesn't smell of anything. i have tried all sorts of different products and although fabric conditioner does help it isn't as good as other peoples. I find drying stuff inside holds the smell a bit better than the washing line.

i wonder if we are just immune to the smell and our laundry does indeed smell as lovely as everyone else's? I lurve the smell of washing powder to the extent that i am sometimes strangely drawn to nibble a bit just to check it doesn't taste as lovely as it smells!!! i know, very weird!

• M
    Beginner
    Mrs JMP ·
    • Hide content

You are used to the smell, so can't smell it.

The only way I find washing stays fresh is liquids in the drum & a little fabric conditioner in the drawer.

I use persil colours for darks, Daz for whites & everything else bold green & Comfort cotton fresh

I don't tumble dry, unless it's towels.

• A
    Beginner
    allthatglitters ·
    • Hide content

?We get grunge on our rubber seal to, tis mankey - and in the conditioner drawer!. Our washing doesn't smell of anything at all and I use fabric conditioner. Line/tumble or air dried doesn't make a difference.

The only thing that has made it smeel nice after drying was - i think it's Lenor , its in a black bottle and has quite a strong smell to it. Anyway - that lingered on the clothes but H said he smelt like a girl so we stopped using it.?

• Kazmerelda
    Beginner August 2006
    Kazmerelda ·
    • Hide content

How do you dry your washing? I notice sometimes in the winter my clothes are abit musty from being dried inside. I find sticking it on the line for an hour helps (once dried even).

Also, ironing stuff seems to make my stuff smell better.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I confess I bought some Lenor Infusions this morning, it was £1 in ASDA. What MIL said was that MissSun sometimes smelled of wee and I said that at the time she'd said it MissSun was clean and fresh with a new nappy on and then MIL said 'its probably our washing powder, we're just not used to the smell of it'. How rude lol! Then MrSun said when he dried with a towel that otherwise smelled fine he could smell something when it got wet and now I'm paranoid. Maybe I am immune to the smell but then I haven't had anyone comment on the smell of my washing either, other than negatively lol!.

• cariad
    Beginner
    cariad ·
    • Hide content

Comfort pure or lenor , lenor smells nicer for longer but i find its so strong if i use it on undies i get thrush so i prefer comfort pure

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content

Mine used to be the same until I discovered two new fabirc softners. Comfort Sunshine, holds it smell really well, and over the weekend I was using Surf Lavender powder and Comfort (or Lenor) lavender conditioner and I can really smell the difference in the clothes.

Also it helps to dry outside, although no idea why.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I won't have wet washing hanging around the house, I don't like it. It's either line dried or tumble dried i'm afraid and I iron most things other than underwear and MrSun's shorts.

• bigpants
    Savvy July 2008
    bigpants ·
    • Hide content

I don't tumble dry clothes as I think it makes them lose their fresh smell for some reason. We recently started to use the Bold two-in-one and I love the smell. Is it worth trying to dry your clothes on airers in the airing cupboard or in the spare room once or twice to see if you notice the difference?

• KB3
    Beginner
    KB3 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can you smell the fresh clothes when you iron them? Another thught is your iron might need cleaning if it uses water. I've tried Comfort Puresse water before and that lasted quite well.

• snow white
    Beginner
    snow white ·
    • Hide content

I use Lenor with fabreeze and that tends to keep the clothes smelling nice, even when they have been tumble dried.

• Duck no more
    Beginner
    Duck no more ·
    • Hide content

I use persil & lenor , i can't smell my clothes but my mum always asks how i get my laundry "so nice smelling" , so it must be fragrant i just must be used to the smell.

• sophalaval
    Beginner
    sophalaval ·
    • Hide content

I love the smell of clean washing! I wish they would make a perfume of it as its my favourite smell! I just persil colour care - the just washed feeling one - def has a lovely smell...

• Crantock
    Dedicated June 2005
    Crantock ·
    • Hide content

Line drying takes the smell away, I think. Drying on airers seems to work best in our house - that, and using washing liquid rather than powder. I don't use fabric softeners very often as they're not very good for the fabric.

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

I had a big problem with mainly H's clothes smelling bad even after they had been washed, I switched to bio instead of non bio and have been using comfort with that fresh release thing, and they smell so much better. The fabric conditioner actually really does last, I got a cardigan out of a drawer at the weekend that had been there for 2 months and it still smells of the fabric conditioner

• Heidi
    Beginner November 2005
    Heidi ·
    • Hide content

Our washing has smelt better, and stayed smellingnice longer since we got a new washing machine.

Our old machine was very old, and often had a lingering stagnent water smell in the drum - it then died and we got our lovely (singing) Indesit Moon - its fab as it doesn't have a draw that gets all gunked up, the 'draw' is inside the door and gets cleaned in each wash.

We use Ariel tablets and Lenor Pure, and air dry in the house - bonus being the house then smells nice!

• boof
    Dedicated August 2014
    boof ·
    • Hide content

If you iron most things have you tried ironing water? I use Tesco's own, Asda's own, Sainsbury's own, Vaporesse and they're all great. Stop the iron getting as limescaled and make the washing smell nice.

• C
    Clairebecky ·
    • Hide content

I always use fabric softener for freshness, softness & because it makes ironing easier. I can't used heavily perfumed ones though because they irritate my delicate parts ?. I tend to use Comfort Pure or similar. Have bought the Aldi version to try to see it that's any good.

• E
    Eleda ·
    • Hide content

Our washer used to niff and then my mum threw a load of bicarb of soda in, and put it on boil and it seemed to sort it out. It died a bit later but I don't think that was related!

[sad confession]

I love the smell of fabric conditioner. I spend ages in the supermarket sniffing each one, and it makes me feel calm and happy! I change our fabric conditioner quite a bit so I can always smell the perfume in it. We're currently on Lavender from Tesco.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics