Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nichola80

Sing-a-long-a-Hairspray Costume Help!

Nichola80, 26 of September of 2008 at 12:52 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

In a couple of weeks time I'm going to see Sing-a-long-a-Hairspray with some friends from work (5 of us going, 2nd row seats) and I want to dress up. I went to the Sound of Music version a few months ago and went as a 'Brown paper package tied up with string' which was easy enough.

However, I can't go out shopping at the moment as I'm stuck on crutches for a while longer and I can only walk a short while so online shopping is my only friend so I thought I'd ask you lovely people of Hitched to give me some inspiration and ideas!

I'm size 18/20 so that makes things a little more tricky, although it shouldn't as several of the main characters are that big or bigger! I've looked at fancy dress stuff and found some official stuff but it was rather pricy to ship over so given that up. Here is what I'd looked at for a mo.

Any ideas anyone?

7 replies

Latest activity by Nichola80, 27 of September of 2008 at 12:40
  • M
    Beginner March 2009
    Mrs Bloom ·
    • Hide content

I think that idea is fab, I guess with Hairspray you need to go dressed as either one of the characters or a giant can of hairspray and I know which I'd prefer!

• Katchoo
    Katchoo ·
    • Hide content

How about this wig? https://www.joke.co.uk/showPart_large.asp?part=10720

Plus a white blouse and a checked skirt which you can get almost anywhere at the mo.

• Nichola80
    Nichola80 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There's plenty of wigs available yeah, that's going to be the easiest bit. I've been hunting for a checked skirt online but without joy yet.

I'm open to any ideas really. I did fancy going as Motormouth Maybelle as I love her song 'Big Blonde and beautiful'!

• Nichola80
    Nichola80 ·
    • Hide content

Can anyone help me? A shameless bounce I know but having watched the film again its renewed my desire to sort out my costume. I think I'd rather go as Motormouth Maybelle as her outfits touch the floor and seeing as though I'm bandaged up and using a crutch the bandages wont stand out so much if I'm wearing something to the floor!

• Nichola80
    Nichola80 ·
    • Hide content

A Shameless bounce for weekend hitchers!

• redcherry
    Beginner April 2006
    redcherry ·
    • Hide content

Try searching for kaftans on ebay. There are loads of Maybelle style dresses and some of them are truly hideous - so you get a laugh at the same time!

• redcherry
    Beginner April 2006
  • Nichola80
    Nichola80 ·
    • Hide content

Jesus that one is truely awful!

I shall see if I can find a leopard print or a gold one.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics