Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

InWineTheresTruth
Beginner July 2015

singing during a civil ceremony

InWineTheresTruth, 14 of December of 2013 at 23:08 Posted on Planning 0 15

I am having a civil ceremony and want it to be special and meaningful (and get my money's worth out of the stupidly expensive registrars! ) so we are planning some extra bits that mean something to us ... including a sand blending ceremony to symbolise the blending of our family (very USA and cheesy but I want to include my boys) 2 readings at least and we really would like a bit of a sing along ... just one or two songs that people can sing with us (like hymns in a church service) we have talked about Stand by me but not decided on another song yet ... does this sound weird?? I love the idea and oh is up for it too ..

15 replies

Latest activity by jess999, 20 of December of 2013 at 21:59
  • LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it would be a problem but like all other songs/music during your ceremony you would have to get it checked by the registrars.

I know it's a little different but my niece sang at our ceremony.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

It very strict what the song lyrics may contain with no references to anything remotely religious, even down to things like robbi williams Angles. as love ska has said I too have seen a solo singer at a civil ceremony a few times but have never seen a case where the whole room are invited to sing, do you think they will all join in. Something to think about is time as I know that you want to get the most out of it but depending on the time of year and time of day the registrars may only have a limited amount of time before their next wedding across town and may not encourage a long ceremony

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

We have an acoustic duo doing the music before, during and after the ceremony so it will more like them leading the singing and asking people to join in ....

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

We have an acoustic duo doing the music before, during and after the ceremony so it will more like them leading the singing and asking people to join in ....

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

People don't always join in in church I suppose ... I wondered if they were more likely with a non religious song? I think you have a set amount of time for a civil ceremony and you give them an outline ... to be frank it annoys me how much they charge and I don't care if the registrars want it quick I'm paying them so will use the full time allotted ...Im thinking from responses so far that people think it's a bit weird? I just don't want our service to be basic just because we aren't in a church and I don't want to marry in a church just because it's pretty and a nicer ceremony .... I also don't want people hating and moaning about our wedding because of the singing!! maybe I'll scrap the idea ...

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Ah an acoustic duo - for a minute I thought you were just going to put on a cd and hand out word sheets ?, You could pick a song that is easy for everyone to join in with and put the lyrics on an order of service with a note asking people to join in. And no not weird its just I fear for you that people will not join in, but you know your family. I have never seen it done and I do wonder if it is even allowed. You can add your own personal vows to say to each other at the ceremony so it dosent feel quite so over and done with.
  • Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not sure. I think in church, even if people aren't regular attenders, once there's an organ playing and other people singing, quite a lot join in because it's the done thing. A few don't but you don't really notice that. In a civil ceremony it would be much more unusual, so people might be more unsure about it - I think that would be more of an issue than whether the words are religious or not. Having a proper "performing" duo getting people to join in is probably more likely to work than just whacking on a CD though!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I'm one of those few who doesn't join in during church ceremonies! But if a duo was singing and a lot of people joined in I probably would too.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I love your idea of singing in a civil ceremony! I would definitely join in and I might even be cheeky and steal the idea for my wedding. You would have to make sure it is a 100% secular song and something your family/friends will know. You could put the words in the order of service too.

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

I love your idea however have you checked to see if your allowed all this stuff going on . We got 2 reading slots and that was it. We are having to songs solo sang whilst we sign the register but no more x

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We were allowed 4 songs.

1, while everyone got seated.

2, as I walked in.

3. as we signed the register.

4, as everyone left.

• Siobhan200286
    Beginner August 2015
    Siobhan200286 ·
    • Hide content

If that is what you want to do, then go for it! I don't think you need to worry whether it 'sounds weird' or not, in my view the best weddings are those which suit the couple, and which feature parts of their personality. Rather that then just doing things "because you have to" or because it's tradition.

If you and OH want to do it, and feel it represents your lives / style / relationship well, then go ahead.

• One Little Daisy
    One Little Daisy ·
    • Hide content

I've never seen the sand idea before - was this something you saw someone else do Steph? Seems like a lovely idea

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

I think if you go for a upbeat song people might join! It would also make a difference if you both join in, encouraging the guests to do so too.

I like the idea and if I was a guest, would join with gusto Smiley winking

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

I can't remember where I saw it done ... I thought maybe four weddings or maybe it was a movie. I'm going to email the registrars and query ... I don't see why we can't do it if it fits the time slot .... I am so cross about the £580 charge! !

• J
    Beginner June 2014
    jess999 ·
    • Hide content

Our registry office wanted £550 and we still couldn't have what we wanted during the ceremony so we have booked a celebrant to do our ceremony instead. We need to go to reg office to complete the legal paperwork beforehand to ensure the whole thing is legally binding. The Humanist Society do weddings and I'm sure they would have experience of incorporating singing into your ceremony. Sounds like a lovely idea, I have seen a youtube vid of a Scottish Humanist ceremony where all the guests sing 500 miles by the Proclaimers, it was fab!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics