Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Singing waiters..... good, bad or tacky idea???!

2 March, 2010 at 13:10 Posted on Planning 0 18

Ok, be honest ladies, am I thinking of something that is a horrendously tacky idea?

I was thinking of booking singing waiters as a suprise for our wedding? Wouldnt tell OH so they would just start singing and only myself (and prob my mum as I tell her everything!!) would know about it.

Honest opinions please!

18 replies

Latest activity by tanyawilson99, 6 March, 2010 at 17:51
  • GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Not for me i'm afriad... I don't like cabaret / kareoke really so they're a no-no.

I have to also add that i saw these on Four Weddings last night. Whilst they seemed pretty good singers, the one thing I didn't like about the way they did the act was that a "manager" interupted the wedding to say that the chef was leaving and to invite her out for a round of applause and present her what a bottle of bubbly which I thought was a pretty naff way of doing it.

what was quite cool was the 2nd song, the woman started singing (miming) and a "guest" sat at a table was sneakily singing so it looked like the woman was singing in a man's voice. It was funny to see the reaction of people this man was sat next to when they eventually realised he was singing! They hadn't noticed and he was say next to them!

• FunkyDiva
    FunkyDiva ·
    • Hide content

I think they can be quite fun and would be memorable.

If you like the idea then who cares if it is tacky - surely all of us are having/have had something that someone else may think tacky.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Not my cup of tea either, but if you like it then go for it.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I would laugh and find it funny at someone else's wedding. Not for my wedding!

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    meggles24 ·
    • Hide content

Not for me either...

Sorry! xx

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

I've been to an event where we had these and I though they did it fantastically and not at all tacky, it ws operatic singing so cant really be tacky! They do put on a bit of a 'show' as well and make it funny, its a bit different as well and can break the ice. I think it does depend on your guests and if they would like this kinda thing but I thought it made a memorable evening. The event was in Herts I can always ask my dad if he still has their details?

• maryg111
    Beginner May 2011
    maryg111 ·
    • Hide content

I think its a brilliant idea! we went to a ball at a posh hotel in london and they completely took us by surprise! it was a real ice breaker and everyone commented on it saying how much fun it was! i looked some up for my wedding but it wasn't in my budget! great idea though-if you like it go for it! every wedding is different and every bride wants different things for their day so do what makes you happy x

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

As an actor I'd personally love to DO one.... hehehe..........when is the wedding again??? Smiley smile

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of singing waiters so i can't really comment, i can't decide if they'd be funny and make me laugh or make me cringe i guess you'd have to see what kind of performance they'd do

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I have been to a c ouple of corporate events where they have been and they have always been good fun and a talking point. My brother had them at his wedding and they were amazing. They played their roles so well, one a waitress, one a hotel manager and one a chef that my friend who was the other bridesmaid asked teh manager if the reception sold condoms as she had forgotten to bring any with her and so had her fiance. The manager/ singer said he would find out and when they finally retired to bed hours later there were a packet by their bed. Possibly the funniest part was when teh manager started to sing and Laura's smile disappeared and was just followed by a look of pure shock then horror when she realised what had happened.

I never would have thought of having them at my wedding but after my brother's if he hadnt and i had known how good they had been i would have considered it. If you do get some it is worth paying for teh bast you can afford.

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

I liked the idea when I saw them at Jade Goody's wedding a year ago but when I looked in to prices they were expensive. Now i've seen them alot so I'm not so bothered.

• M
    MsCheerful ·
    • Hide content

My sis-in-law was at an event with these singing waiters and said it was fantastic, really something different and went down really well x

• F
    Beginner December 2009
    fvj199 ·
    • Hide content

We had singing waiters. It was actually quite lovely for the two of us to have a surprise and know something about the wedding that was just between us, like co-conspirators. I really worried about the singing waiters and kept having nightmare visions of something very cringey. But, they were great, every person there loved it, it was a great end to the meal, got rid of everyone's post food sloth and got us all up and ready to party again. You can pick the songs but the best bit for me, was seeing the reactions on peoples faces.

• T
    Beginner June 2008
    tanyawilson99 ·
    • Hide content

We had The Singing Waiters and Waitresses that were the same company that appeared on Four Weddings - Soprano Bella.They were definitely not tacky - they are all leading West End singers - our "Chef" had played Christine in The Phantom Of The Opera in London! It was fantastic - they will even do singing firemen or policemen - Ill be honest it was the one thing that everyone mentioned in their thank you cards.

Best

Tanya

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics