Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2024 Bristol

Singing waiters planned as a surprise

Lauren, 23 of October of 2023 at 13:28 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 8
I just want to get everyone’s thoughts on this. I’ve just found out that my in-laws have booked singing waiters for our wedding day and they hadn’t asked us beforehand. We’re having a small and intimate wedding (we’re the opposite of big wedding people) so only having around 30 guests. I feel so upset but so glad I’ve found out now. I feel annoyed that they’d planned this knowing what we want and planned something for OUR wedding? Thoughts?

8 replies

Latest activity by Brendan, 25 of February of 2024 at 14:19
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If you feel this is going to bug you enough to spoil your wedding, then I would get your OH to tell your in-laws that you are grateful for their kindness but you do not want it. Otherwise, just try to let it go.

Do they often do stuff without asking you first? If so, you may need to do some firm boundary setting. But if this is a one-off, I'd put it down to them trying to do something special for you and just getting it wrong.

• S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    The wedding we were at in March the brides parents did this aswell and it was the best thing ever!!! We all sat down for our meal and it was quiet then out they came! We all got up and sang and danced and it made our meal even better! I understand it’s your day and it’s annoying but honestly it was so good and the whole wedding loved it! We can still remember the brides face when she thought the waiter had fallen over and then her big smile when he pelted out his song!!! Either roll with it and don’t go on about it or tell them now they should have asked! I don’t see it as a big deal personally as it’s something fun BUT it is each to their own, sort it now if you’re not happy then it’s done!
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I have shot a wedding with singing waiters - there are a few different ones doing it and they do seem to be done as a surprise - at least so for the guests anyway.

My thoughts are that they are great and really do get everyone up but I fear that it may not quite be the same vibe in a room of 30 people. Perhaps that could be a line you could go with.

Singing waiters planned as a surprise 1

Singing waiters planned as a surprise 2

Singing waiters planned as a surprise 3

• K
    Beginner May 2025 Essex
    Kate ·
    • Hide content

I think you are actually really entitled to be upset about this. It is your wedding and only you and your OH should be the ones making decisions about the day.
    Although the singing waiters look really fun and other people have enjoyed it, - that does not mean you will if its not your thing!!
    I'm sure they have done it with good intentions but I would personally mention it, explain you're so grateful for the gesture but its not something you want for your wedding day!
    Maybe if you are open minded you might enjoy it, but if you think you will suffer through it you have to say something! Smiley smile

• T
    Beginner May 2025 Norfolk
    Terri ·
    • Hide content
    I have literally just booked secret singers to surprise everyone including my now fiancé! I think from reviews it's a great decision. Enjoy it xx
  • L
    Beginner July 2025 Essex
    Liarna ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Agree with your comment.
  • R
    Beginner June 2024 Dorset
    Robert ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you are right to be upset by this. How much better if they had suggested it to you first, such as 'we thought it might be fun for you both if we booked & paid for this - what do you think?' Keep it secret from one of you if they want to

Good luck!

Robert

• B
    Beginner April 2024 Bristol
    Brendan ·
    • Hide content

As someone who does Singing Waiters, I would always encourage the bride to be 'in the know' as the act is quite disruptive.

Although when the bride isn't in the know, it's usually because the MOTB knows her daughter very well and it is well received.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics